Fermat's Theorem disproved!! (joke)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fermat's Theorem disproved!! (joke)

lol, i am reading a book on fermat's last theorem (a^n + b^n = c^n has no integer solutions for n > 2) right now and i found this while trying to find the actual proof: http://home.mindspring.com/~jbshand/ferm.html

Savant says that the problem is unsolvable under the constraints of traditional thinking. Without his own expertise in Number Addition and Subtraction Theory, advanced superscripting, and home brewing techniques, it would have been impossible. Using an innovative combination of the theory of general relativity, quantum mechanics, and his own findings in the field of Jello Mold Topology, Savant first showed that any given number has a high probability of being equal to itself. This leads to the observation that there is actually a small probability that the number is not equal to itself, but rather a different number entirely. He defined a variable "idio" to be the probability that a given number is equal to another given number. He illustrates his next step thusly:

Obviously, the probability that, say, the number 10 is equal to 11 is very very small, although it is thought to have happened in June of 1952. But remember, quantum mechanics is screwy, and the obvious is sometimes unapparent. The probability that the number 10 is actually 10.5 is alot higher than the probability that it is 11, and as we approach 10 itself, the probability gets higher and higher. The idio becomes significant.
    Last edited by daniel; 24 Jun 2004, 04:58 PM.
    This is my cool sig.

I'm so terribly disappointed.

It's not every day that an important mathematical theorem is disproved. And then you post this under a topic that makes it seem it has been.

Comment

fixed the title then
      This is my cool sig.

Comment

Originally posted by daniel
        fixed the title then
        LMAO! I was just teasing, Daniel!

(Quick, change it back!)

Comment

Applying quantum mechanics to mathematics. Riiiiight...

Comment

Actually, he did disprove it (as long as you limit your significant digits appropriately). Of course, this is nothing compared with the proof that "1=2".
            Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
            Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

bah! i hate sig digs

Comment

Originally posted by Thebos
                Of course, this is nothing compared with the proof that "1=2".
                like this?
                (assume first statement true)

a = b-----------------------------------> multiply both sides by a
                a^2 = ab ------------------------------>add a^2 - 2ab to both sides
                a^2 + a^2 - 2ab = ab + a^2 -2ab-------> simplify
                2a^2 - 2ab = a^2 - ab------------------>factor
                2 (a^2 - ab) = a^2 - ab-----------------> divide both sides by a^2 - ab
                2 = 1
                This is my cool sig.

Comment

Because evil Daniel wants to mock us stupid people with his paradox math. I have chosen to edit my post, out of fear of being beaten over the head and shoulders by an ugly stick.

In order to give this post some substance, I hereby present you with...

Last edited by Swiss Mercenary; 25 Jun 2004, 03:36 PM.

Comment

C'mon guys.

Holidays just started do we have to remind everyone about maths!
                    deserve victory

Comment

yes, we do. Maths is the best thing that you can do at school
                      I think I have a slightly different proof for 2==1. But it also has a divide by zero error in it.
                      can't remeber it now
                      Conformity is the refuge of the unimaginative, the dull and the stupid
                      The internet based realm of Decompiler

Comment

Originally posted by Decompiler
                        yes, we do. Maths is the best thing that you can do at school
                        I think I have a slightly different proof for 2==1. But it also has a divide by zero error in it.
                        can't remeber it now
                        What about the one that turns a dollar into 10 cents?

Comment

simple
                          AU$1==US$0.10
                          or I could do the one where you leave $1 lying around and this being the thievery forums someone takes 90 cents before you spot them (or don't).
                          For more fun prove that in any triangle the sum of the squares of two sides equals twice the square on the third side plus twice the square on the altitude of the third side. If I have copyed that out right it should take < 5 lines
                          Conformity is the refuge of the unimaginative, the dull and the stupid
                          The internet based realm of Decompiler

Comment

lol, i know Swiss but did you have to take the mystrey out of it for the stupid people? infinity is defined by division by zero so really at the end the last line 2 = 1 is really "infinity = infinity"
                            This is my cool sig.

Comment

Originally posted by daniel
                              lol, i know Swiss but did you have to take the mystrey out of it for the stupid people? infinity is defined by division by zero so really at the end the last line 2 = 1 is really "infinity = infinity"
                              Not all infinities are defined that way.

If you're interested in math, and transfinite numbers specifically, Daniel, try picking up a copy of "Infinity and the Mind", by Rudy Rucker. It's a good layman's book on transfinite number theory and advanced set theory, and gives a good and easy to understand explanation of Gأ¶del's Incompleteness Theorem.

Comment

Working...
                              X