Need a Copyright/Name expert :P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a Copyright/Name expert :P

As my artwork and stuff gets better, I feel a need to sign my work. However, I don't want to use my real name.

I'd like to use Dak Garlisk.

But! I don't know how, if it is ever in question, I would make sure that the real me is also proveable as Dak Garlisk.

You know what I mean?

Any clarification on this or help with this would be much appreciated.
    Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
    www.usyetzer.com

http://www.copyright.gov/

I looks like you may have to register each piece?

Comment

Anything you create is automatically copyrighted, even if it isn't signed or the like. If it's ever contested, you simply have to prove you created it. That's easy if you're in possession of the originals. And for works that you no longer have, the person you gave or sold them to would probably remember who they came from. ^_^
      Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

ahh yes, I found this on the site.

Copyright Secured Automatically upon Creation

The way in which copyright protection is secured is frequently misunderstood. No publication or registration or other action in the Copyright Office is required to secure copyright. (See following Note.) There are, however, certain definite advantages to registration. See "Copyright Registration."

Copyright is secured automatically when the work is created, and a work is "created" when it is fixed in a copy or phonorecord for the first time. "Copies" are material objects from which a work can be read or visually perceived either directly or with the aid of a machine or device, such as books, manuscripts, sheet music, film, videotape, or microfilm. "Phonorecords" are material objects embodying fixations of sounds (excluding, by statutory definition, motion picture soundtracks), such as cassette tapes, CDs, or LPs. Thus, for example, a song (the "work") can be fixed in sheet music (" copies") or in phonograph disks (" phonorecords"), or both.

If a work is prepared over a period of time, the part of the work that is fixed on a particular date constitutes the created work as of that date.

Comment

I suppose the advantage of copyrighting means that if someones steals the works, then they can't claim it as their own.

Comment

Originally posted by claymore
            I suppose the advantage of copyrighting means that if someones steals the works, then they can't claim it as their own.
            And that you have the right to tell them to cease using it, or to pay you for using it.

You can probably safely put "Copyright [year] by Dak Garlisk" on your works. There's an entire community of people here who can verify that you have an association with that identity. Given their criminal records, though, they may not be willing to testify in court....

Comment

Well, LR, thats sounds reasonable. Thanks.
              Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
              www.usyetzer.com

Comment

For work you'd like to give a more free licence though (IE for competitions), I'd recommend Creative Commons.
                ]V[]V[

Comment

Bah , copyright sucks , better copyleft you art (it only prevents others from claiming it as their work or making any profit off it)

Comment

Working...
                  X