X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Like in the movies

Discussion about delaying elections in chase of terrorist attack

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/...lay/index.html

Dude, how bout imposition of martial law next?
    My leet Thievery Map
    My leet UT3 Map
    My leet AS Map

"We don't have any intelligence to suggest that it is going to happen, but we're preparing for all of these contingencies now,"
    Grr. That alone flies in the face of all the "Live your lives as normal or the terrorists have won" rhetoric.

Comment

If that gets imnposed, all we need is a president who hires terrorists to postpone elections, and we got ourselves a dictator for life!

Wow, i love these political geniuses!
      "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

The actual language under consideration allows for the postponing or cancellation of elections in the event of a terrorist attack on election day.

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
          The actual language under consideration allows for the postponing or cancellation of elections in the event of a terrorist attack on election day.
          Don't you mean suspected terrorist attacks?

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary
            Don't you mean suspected terrorist attacks?
            No, I think the provision is strictly in the event of ACTUAL terrorist attacks. I may be wrong on that, though.

Comment

Will this include the Inaugural Parade? I would think that event would be a target. I have been to the last 2 inaugurals, and Clinton's second one, security was very lax. This past one (Bush's), EVERYONE inside the barriers was searched. I remember saying that I didn't think they were searching us because PETA was raising hell. Then 9/11 hit and I understood.
              formerly littlek

Comment

Originally posted by littlek
                Will this include the Inaugural Parade? I would think that event would be a target. I have been to the last 2 inaugurals, and Clinton's second one, security was very lax. This past one (Bush's), EVERYONE inside the barriers was searched. I remember saying that I didn't think they were searching us because PETA was raising hell. Then 9/11 hit and I understood.
                The inaugural parade (if there is one) is a moot point, really. It's not a central function of our democracy. Elections are, and the administration is talking about postponing, or even cancelling them in the event of a terrorist attack. Essentially, Bush is looking at ways to bypass the voice of the people to ensure another term for himself.

Comment

....the administration is talking about postponing, or even cancelling them in the event of a terrorist attack.
                  I guess I misread the article...I thought that there would be an election, just not all the pre and post -election parties and other such gatherings. I would agree with no large gatherings but no election? I cannot believe that anyone would even suggest that!
                  formerly littlek

Comment

The inaugural parade (if there is one) is a moot point, really. It's not a central function of our democracy. Elections are, and the administration is talking about postponing, or even cancelling them in the event of a terrorist attack. Essentially, Bush is looking at ways to bypass the voice of the people to ensure another term for himself.
                    Another term? LR, man, you are forgetting what could be done!

A president can't serve three terms, and 2 is a little iffy, so Bush will serve only ONE term. The fact that that ONE term may last 40 years is a completely grandiose idea! And then let him appoint his sucessor! I mean elections are pointless, since only 60% of the registered voters or so turn out to vote, so 30% of the population decides the leader for the other 70% - where's the democracy in that? With such a system that Bush suggests, who needs elections? Think of the money that can be saved, to repair your sad, sad budget. All we need now, is for senators to be appointed for life! Responsible shmesponsible government is so old-school. Elections are so last milleniim - the new world can do without them for this one. After all, if we HAVE no elections, then those evil terrorists (and terrorism is the interruption of government services - a guy standing in the middle of the street is a TERRORIST) will NEVER be able to interrupt the democratic process! Then we can... Start buring books! In a couple of decades, who will remember about those silly things called "Elections"? Hell, why call Bush a president, give him the respectful title of "King". Monarchy worked for the first half of the last millenium, why not reintroduce it?

How did a reviewer of Fahrenheit 9/11 put it again..? "Bush = Stalin", I think those were the words he used.

Comment

I guess I misread the article...I thought that there would be an election, just not all the pre and post -election parties and other such gatherings. I would agree with no large gatherings but no election? I cannot believe that anyone would even suggest that!
                      Many of the people who vote republican might not mind that all that much. After all, just under half the country loves Bush. Why should they object to his term being extended?

I swear, if Bush will be re-elected, I give up. If Americans will be so ignorant as to vote for him (Which just under half the country will, of that I am convinced), then they deserve to rot in the graves they dug.

So, who was it again who is doing their very best to harm democracy? Can you blame THIS on terrorists? I guess you can. It depends on how much BS one can absorb, while remaining loyal to your dictator, I mean, president.

Comment

And yet, that's precisely what was being suggested. By the Bush administration. Specifically, to allow an act of Congress to bypass Constitutional provisions regarding the election process.

Swiss's ramblings are overly invective, but they're basically on-target. This is how dictatorships are formed out of democracies like pre-WWII Germany, post-WWII Russia, and... well, like in Hussein era Iraq.

Comment

Swiss's ramblings are overly invective, but they're basically on-target. This is how dictatorships are formed out of democracies like pre-WWII Germany, post-WWII Russia, and... well, like in Hussein era Iraq.
                          Didn't i say that?

Oh, and Swiss, it's not BUsh that's pushing this. Althouh the guy who is should be shot as a traitor to the US of A.
                          "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Originally posted by Radamanthus
                            Didn't i say that?

Oh, and Swiss, it's not BUsh that's pushing this. Althouh the guy who is should be shot as a traitor to the US of A.
                            But Bush will have to sign it.

"Hrm... Do I make myself president... Forever?"

Comment

Originally posted by Radamanthus
                              Didn't i say that?
                              Not that I'd noticed.

Comment

Working...
                              X