crate stacking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crate stacking

i hear that it was fixed in some way in 1.2, how i do not know.

during a game with someone on bourgeious eventually it was 3 guards vs one thief. one of the guards came to my usual attic location and started to seemingly toss crates on the stairs. now, i eventually heard that it was fixed in 1.2 and was easy to move.

however, i still don't believe it should be done. at least, not when there are 2 guards waiting in teh room (one with a mace, the other a firebolt). then it just becomes far too cheap. eveery second matters then, and even if you can just jump over the crate it is still a second lost.

so, i would like to ask the entire community. not just the guards that yelled at me for slashing crates (generally when i see a crate stacker i move the crates. if they keep tossing them down, i break them so he can;t use them anymore). i know i can't get people to stop. but i would at least hope that they would still give the thief a chance.
    I believe this is a valid guard tactic.
    0.00%
    I believe this is a cheap (but valid) guard tactic. It is up to the guards at the entrance if it is ok.
    100.00%
    I believe this is not a valid guard tactic. It is far too unfair to the thieves.
    0.00%
    I have no comment on this topic.
    0.00%

The thief has a chance. The scepter isn't necessary to win Bourgeois.

Furthermore, the crates were put in the game to be USED.

*waits for the day Gundy plays against Dalai online....*

Comment

yeah. i understand sometimes it is good. but what i am saying is that the thief would not stand a chance in that room (where an item that is almost necessary to get. unless you want to search the entire map. and with one thief left that would not be a smart idea).

they get slowed down by the trops at the door. then the crates on the steps. all the time getting shot with firebolts and smacked with maces.

that is kind of overkill and unncessary if you ask me.

and i kinda made a mistake when i voted, so always take one off of the always unfair option, and put that in the unfair, but can be agreed on by the guards at the door.

if a mod would like to edit that for me. hint hint

Comment

Crate stacking can be useful for a guard more without it being completely cheap. Putting a few at the bottom or top of a ladder can alert the guard to the thief's presence, putting a larger crate in a small shadow in a room may eliminate the thief's opportunity to hide right there if he's being chased, etc.

Now putting 20 crates on an objective can be retarded, and completely blocking off rooms is pretty stupid too, but I've made my point. cheers
        *Leader of the 56k rebellion*
        *Slowing down cable and DSL users, everywhere*

LikitaRenn:"I wanna be added to as many people's sigs as will add me to... their.. sigs.. um.. something..."

Comment

I think LR has a good point. The crates were made to be used, which seems to be stacking.

However, putting crates on top of an objective/loot is cheap.

Comment

i am talking about like littering the stairs or a path with them. this way the thief needs to hop over them, or dodge around them. that seems more lame because it slows the thief down in a combat area.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard
              I think LR has a good point. The crates were made to be used, which seems to be stacking.

However, putting crates on top of an objective/loot is cheap.
              I don't even go so far as to agree with this. They can be moved, destroyed, ot objectives frobbed right through them. Their primary function in this instance is not to impede gettingt he loot/objective, but to hide it.

For instance, in Theatre, in the back room, there's a spawn point for a relic. Right next to that spawn is a stack of crates. Given the opportunity, I WILL pile those crates over that relic, if it spawns there. It's still grabable, but the thieves have to take extra time, or move the crates first, and that gives me an advantage.

Comment

Yep, crates are awesome.

Ever tried to think of points to put crates if you're a THIEF? :twisted:

Comment

I've used crates when being chased by guards to black paths and give me extra time to get away :twisted: , just gotta do it right, or you're dead.
                  Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
                  "Dream is Destiny"
                  Waking Life

Comment

It's fairly easy for thieves to move crates. Now the chest, that's a different matter. I think it's cheap to block things with the chest, or leave the chest in midair in a place where it blocks thief access.

Comment

Eric is right. Making it absolutely impossible for a thief to complete an objective by placing the chest in a position so that a thief cannot get acces to an area or item it wrong, and in my opinion, use of a "bug." However, in 1.3, that will hopefully all be fixed. :twisted:
                      Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
                      "Dream is Destiny"
                      Waking Life

Comment

Crate stacking is perfectly balanced imho
                        When guard camp with 2047 crates on the objectives , it's less a matter of crate stacking than objective camping... still , the thieves can destroy crates with broadheads much like they remove caltrops with moss (and thieves have 10 broadheads by default)
                        Metal crates are rare enough to let the thieves move them quickly when needed. Their sound is less specific also.
                        The only sad thing about stair filling is that unlucky players may die of a collision error while walking on crates.
                        About the chest : blocking an access with it isn't cheap , thieves can walk on it when it's destroyed. Few thieves have moss arrows at the end of the game , but only DMers don't even have 2 broadheads left.
                        Chest on objectives is a lame bug exploit , though. Even when broken , thieves can hardly frob the obj under it.

Comment

Originally posted by one_gundam_war
                          generally when i see a crate stacker i move the crates. if they keep tossing them down, i break them so he can;t use them anymore
                          So you do this when you are a guard?
                          Uhm, sorry: THAT is cheap! :| Pretty much like raging to me.
                          AlienMode ThieveryUT adaption
                          Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
                          Life is a bitch, then you get cancer. One story is good till another is told.

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf
                            Originally posted by one_gundam_war
                            generally when i see a crate stacker i move the crates. if they keep tossing them down, i break them so he can;t use them anymore
                            So you do this when you are a guard?
                            Uhm, sorry: THAT is cheap! :| Pretty much like raging to me.
                            I think calling it "raging" is pretty extreme. Admittedly, if I were building a defense and a member of my team tore it down and destroyed it, I'd be pissed. But Gundy's doing it out of some sense of "fair play", which is the furthest thing from a rager's mind.

Comment

Stak's post portrays my opinion perfectly.

maybe as an alternative to just moving or destroying crates, (something I have admittedly done in the past) those guards who disagree with stacking could agree to quickly discuss it with any guards they see doing it... just something like "any other way we can set up defense here please? I tend to think crates here are a little overkill"

Comment

Working...
                              X