The randomality of loot spawnings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The randomality of loot spawnings?

How random are loot spawns? Will every area always have the same amount of loot? How random will the loot be? Does anyone have any light on that?

Randomality. Heh.

If this becomes a spelling thread, I WILL KILL THE PARTIES INVOLVED! SINCE I AM FIRST, I STOLE THE JOKING RIGHTS TO RANDOMALITY! YOU CANNOT HAVE THEM WITHOUT LOOKING DUMB! THANK YOU!

Anyway, from my experience, loot spawns right next to the nearest thief, so that thief may grab it instantly.

Comment

*ignores OHHDEAR's idiotic claims and comments*

*passes on commenting on whether or not "randomality" is a word*

I'm assuming you're talking about the initial loot spawn for a map, right? If so, then there are some loot items that always spawn in the same place every time on a map, and others that spawn randomly. The randomly spawning ones can vary as to exactly which loot item they are, as well.

Comment

It was my impression that a map has built in placeholders (kinda like an invisible dish) that had properties built into it as to how much loot could spawn there initially. Could be zero, could be max. Also, the map has a built-in maximum amount of loot. If some placeholders got a lot of loot, other placeholders might not spawn any.

Also, I've been trying to figure this out, but it's my theory that certain areas of a map will contain a certain set of loot, which stabilizes the "randomality" of the loot a little. For instance, if that's true, a map designer can make sure all of the loot doesn't spawn next to the closest thief but rather mostly in the far corner of the map (Flasts, for example).

I'd like to hear the thoughts of map designers or maybe one of the Devs, since I am neither.
        "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

From something DP posted when he was working on his map, I gather it actually works just the opposite. ALL lootspawns are initially populated (within set parameters for that spawn). Some spawns are set to be left alone after that, and some are then gone over by a "loot destroyer" script (or something like that) that de-populates those spawns randomly until the amount of loot present equals the total that's supposed to be available on the map.

Comment

Pretty much what LR said:

Mappers place excess loot in their maps and then a ThLootDestroyer reduces the loot amount to a specified value (as chosen by the mapper), by randomly destroying loot items.

Mappers can also place LootSpawners (or whatever they're called, I don't use them) which can spawn a specified amount of loot in any of the various loot types. Thats why sometimes you see a gem at a certain point, other times you see a pile of coins/purse etc.

Comment

I used the loot destroyer on Korman, but for Airship I'm using spawners. Why? Because I found with Korman that the loot destroyer sometimes wipes out most of the loot in one area (say, the rectory) and leaves it all in the church and crypts. This wouldn't be a problem on a map that is essentially one "area", but Korman is essentially two areas, and loot bias towards one of those areas changes the balance of the map.
              In Airship I'm using seperate loot spawners for each "area", which will allow me to control the dispersal of loot while still keeping it somewhat random and unpredictable.
              Mordengaard - Tester/Mapper/Voice Actor/Nitpick/Coder

"Criminal: A person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation."
              :: Howard Scott

Comment

Heh. I guess at this point the thread should be moved to the Mapping section

Using nothing but loot spawners, wouldn't that make the total loot count highly variable? For instance, Bourgeois has a total loot count that's variable. I like the regional control, tho. Theater is basically two sections as well, and sometimes three relecs can be found in one area, and sometimes all loot can be gotten from one area. It would be nice if this could be controlled better, like if some loot actors could be linked together so that the loot destroyer only destroys a certain amount from each section.
                "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

There are 3 ways you can randomize loot on your maps, all with different advantages and disadvantages.

Using nothing but loot spawners, wouldn't that make the total loot count highly variable?
                  Nah, you can still have control over the loot total. You basically fill the spawner up with a list of loot objects, which it then spawns at the placed spawn points.

Anyway, full info is here: http://www.thieveryut.com/Mapping/loot.htm

Comment

Working...
                  X