Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum software upgraded to vB 3.0.3

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Forum software upgraded to vB 3.0.3

    I just upgraded the forum software to vBulletin 3.0.3. This upgrade included minor bug fixes, a security fix for a minor XSS vulnerability, and some new admin/mod related features. So you probably won't notice anything.

    However, if you come over a bug, or something that doesn't look/work right, please notify me in this thread.

    I will enable one of the new features, Full-text searching for MySQL, later today. Since our forum database is kinda large, I've been having problems with rebuilding the search index, which has led to a rather poor search feature. With full-text searching, I get around the problem by not having to use a search index anymore. Letting mysql handle the search process is more server friendly aswell.

    That's all, happy posting.

  • #2
    what's mysql? i ask because i do searches about every week
    This is my cool sig.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by daniel
      what's mysql? i ask because i do searches about every week
      MySQL is the name of the database vBulletin is running on. There are several other types of database software, like PostgreSQL, and Oracle.

      A database is a structured place where all the data is stored, like posts, usernames, profile fields, skins etc. And with full-text searching for MySQL, it searches the whole 'post' row inside the MySQL database for the keyword you specify, instead of reading out of a predefined 'search index' row. A little hard to explain, but anyway - the search function will work better.

      Comment


      • #4
        /me goes to play with admin/mod related features.

        Comment


        • #5
          I have some problem to get to the forum, around 11am~12pm EST. Is that related to what you said in this thread, mOdEtWo?
          I am gone...Radars won't pick me up

          Comment


          • #6
            You should of gotten a message when you tried to log on, what M2~ was doing with the forum, I know I at least did.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by BrokenArts
              You should of gotten a message when you tried to log on, what M2~ was doing with the forum, I know I at least did.
              I did get something saying the website is not available...
              I am gone...Radars won't pick me up

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by tank hunter
                I have some problem to get to the forum, around 11am~12pm EST. Is that related to what you said in this thread, mOdEtWo?
                Probably.

                Comment


                • #9
                  o....k....may be it is just me. my new posts always shows up "bolded" right after I post them (which is an indication of unread posts). It does not display like that before...kinda weird that the forum keeps saying my new posts are "unread" by myself after I post them...
                  I am gone...Radars won't pick me up

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by tank hunter
                    o....k....may be it is just me. my new posts always shows up "bolded" right after I post them (which is an indication of unread posts). It does not display like that before...kinda weird that the forum keeps saying my new posts are "unread" by myself after I post them...
                    After some testing, I found out that it had nothing to do with my settings. It was actually a new bug that followed from vB 3.0.2. So, I edited a php file to change some code, and that did the trick. It now works like it did in 3.0.1 (before the upgrade).

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Feature Request

                      This is a feature request not a bug.

                      When someone is on your ignore list (which is a very nice feature btw) it has a place holder for thier post telling you it wasn't displayed because of your ignore list. Your only option is to remove them if you want to see that one post.

                      *Feature Request*
                      Be able to click a link in the post place holder, to display just that one post rather than having to remove them and then add them again.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Another suggestion: may also update the FAQ and guideline for the forum. I was searching some posts and the "you may only search for every 20sec" thing pops up. I have no idea of that before and I don't think the FAQ and guideline mention it as well.
                        I am gone...Radars won't pick me up

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Grank
                          *Feature Request*
                          Be able to click a link in the post place holder, to display just that one post rather than having to remove them and then add them again.
                          Thanks for the request, it's a good one. I'll see what I can do.

                          Originally posted by tank hunter
                          Another suggestion: may also update the FAQ and guideline for the forum. I was searching some posts and the "you may only search for every 20sec" thing pops up. I have no idea of that before and I don't think the FAQ and guideline mention it as well.
                          I don't see why the FAQ should cover that. Not many read the FAQ anyway, and the 20-second limit is a setting that may change in the future. Guidelines will soon be added tho, I might include it there.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Grank, your 'feature' is in by default

                            I've never used the Ignore feature before, so I decided to try it out, before I started messing with the templates. And to my nice surprise, in the right corner of the placeholder, there was the "View Post" link (see attachment). Grank, check your eyes.

                            Anyway, since it was rather hard to spot for some people (1), I decided to put the link in the message area too. How's that, Grank?
                            Attached Files

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              That blurred out name looks suspiciously like "Carth" (I was thinking Grank but it isn't shaped quite right...)
                              Nightmaster,
                              .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
                              - "until the cat is skinned"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X