Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which class typically communicates more?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which class typically communicates more?

Obvioulsy the question is fraught with politics, however, I'd like to get honest answers. Please think about it carefully before answering.

As you play both sides of the game, in your experience which team is most likely to coordinate efforts and communicate via in game messages?
    They are about the same
    0.00%
    Guards
    100.00%
    Thieves
    0.00%
    "A gerbil is a rodent, wretched creature and quite possibly represents yourself there unclean vile obsolete weak and live happily in there and others filth, they have caused plague and death to humans and nearly wiped us out" - industrialism

Guards, I'd say.
    JM

Comment

Although I'd lean more towards guards, it really depends on the people more than anything.

Comment

Definately guards. And I find that when fellow thieves need tell me to shut up, we do better in general; human guard locations are always welcome to ghosters, and DM'ers alike.
        TCO – Retired
        Former TCO Head of Intelligence – Retired

Comment

I think the question should rather be which class needs to communicate more.

As a guard, the message "Thief here" tells you a lot of things. Tells you where is your objective, that he's alone, and from there you might even work out what he/she's trying to do or where is he/she going.

As a thief, the message "Guard here" doesn't tell you anything at all. Guard there, cool. But i'm not there, so that guard doesn't have to do anything with me. Could be useful if it wasn't because there are on average another 6 guards going around the map, so that doesn't really tell me the rest of the map is safe.

As thieves tend to spread out at the beginning of the game, you don't really need someone to tell you "i'm going to get the loot here". It is assumed, as you all take different directions. Furthermore, visiting a place that has already been robbed is not such of an issue. You have plenty of time to complete the map, so visiting an empty area isn't really drawing you any closer to a time out (it's really difficult to have to wander through the while map looking for loot. If there are many thieves, the loot objective is easily attained. If there are few, they'll clean small areas so there's a lot more to get). Also, an empty area is likely to be safer, as guards aren't going to be guarding empty rooms unless they are choke points.

And that is 90% of the communication you get in a match, besides the occasional "Got health pots?", which isn't really that useful to thieves, because you either run away quite healthy or get busted.

Writing is a slow proccess too, and thieves are really dependant on speed and timing, you can't afford losing a good opportunity to do something because of saying "a guard is caltropping the gem". You run and get it while he/she's busy and the defences are not fully set up.

The only times you really need to say something are when you see another thief running into a guarded/trapped area, then you just warn them, or when an area is tightly camped, then you clean the rest of the level, ready the exit and then plan the raid.

Comment

I try my best to communicate on both sides but most people only communicate as guards. If more people at least had "Guards present in this area!" and "All clear for now!" keybinds I think this would help prevent walking into an ambush.
            BobTheDog says, "Now you've gone too far!"

Comment

I think if you generalize the community, then Guards obviously. Otherwise it really depends on if this is a clan of players on the same team...

Not sure why you asked us to think carefully on this one, being that most of the people who post here have already agreed (prior to this post) on your opinion that guards work together more and thieves tend to solo* (if generalized as above)
              CTG

Rhymin & Stealin

Comment

how about some communication on maps like spiders where its
                better to let other thieves know which obj you're goign for.
                example: I've got the switches, or I'm going for the apts.
                It would help then if thieves would let others know.

Or Korman. who's going for which ruby? who's getting the gate key etc.

Comment

guards do... but who cares. As a thief I'm often deep in the middle of a tight situation. If another thief asks me to help him infiltrate something then he's shit out of luck. The only time thieves need to work as a team is when busting up camping guards and they usually do work as a team when that happens. Pretty pointless poll if you ask me, me thinks thwark will get to it
                  "They say we cleaned out the royal treasury, and took the kings wedding ring off his finger as he slept!" "That must have taken an entire team of our best sneaks." "I heard it was lieutenant Jarvis." "Impossible!"
                  -Two unknown CTG probies

Comment

Don't be so quick to say Thieves have no need to communicate...

Situation: Map is DE. Me and DarkBill are the only thieves left. 5 human guards remain, and they all are camping the exit. DarkBill takes one look, and says to me that all 5 guards are at the exit. I can now freely run around the map, and gather all the loot while DarkBill grabs the Book without worry of being hassled. We then procede to plan our escape, but we have a problem; we BOTH need to be in the exit, since we only satisfy the loot objective between both of us, and we lack the time to go hunt for more loot. So... we approach VERY carefully, then DarkBill says "YOU GO FIRST!". I was waiting on you! And we might have waited there, frozen in place, literally within arms reach of at least 2 guards, if he had not said that. I chose just the right moment... THIEVES WIN!

If we had not communicated, I might have barged into the exit with all 5 guards watching me, or wasted time dilly-dallying for fear there were guards waiting in ambush at the master house.

I have noted that thieves that communicate, even just a little bit, tend to win MUCH more often.
                    TCO – Retired

Comment

Originally posted by SNAFU
                      I have noted that thieves that communicate, even just a little bit, tend to win MUCH more often.
                      Does shouting "BANZAI" qualify as communication for thieves?

Comment

Neither side seems to listen. It really pisses me off when someone says they need help, and nobody comes.

I do understand that there is a language barrier for some of the players, and I try to respect that but it can really drive a person nuts sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                          Does shouting "BANZAI" qualify as communication for thieves?

Read this little thread. I think you might like it...

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...threadid=50827
                          TCO – Retired

Comment

Ah, see, I was referring to this post of yours.

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat

Ah, see, I was referring to this post of yours.
                              Doesn't matter. Both of them are examples of how... SNAFU'ed I can be.
                              TCO – Retired

Comment

Working...
                              X