X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Biohazard
    • Jan 2003

OT: Powell's Speach

What did you think of his speech to the UN?

I thought it was very informative, and may have even influenced my position on the war. But I would like to hear from other people what they got from it/didn't get from it.

Don't worry Thwark, no polls here!
  • thetragictaffer
    • Jan 2003

It's going to be shown over here in the UK in about two minutes on Channel 4.

Edit: Make that 1 hour and ten minutes.

Richard and Judy lied to me

Comment

• LegalAssassin
      • Jan 2003

Haven't seen it yet, will do!

Comment

• SiLeNt_NiGhT
        • Jan 2003

The fact is that there are alot of details in intelligence gathering that cannot be released to the public. I watched some of it and based on what Powell presented alone - I - was not convinced, thoroughly. But I accept the importance of secrecy in this kind of situation. Fortunately, or not, we have no real choice but to trust British and U.S. authorities when they say there is a danger... No one can be absolutely sure.
        ...and all is silent, save the voice of the clock...

Comment

• SeEManN
          • Jan 2003

I stay skeptical.
          Deftones

Comment

• Swiss Mercenary
            • Jan 2003

If I'm going to be trusting high-level authorities any time soon, then send me over to the loonie house.

If there is no information, I use my common sense. USA wants a war. USA claim that Saddam is a terrorist, and has WOMD. USA can't provide me with any more proof. Guess what I'm going to vote for?

For all we know, the UK and USA could just be covering their asses with that speech.

Comment

• MrEricSir
              • Jan 2003

From what I heard, the "evidence" presented in his "speach" was fairly weak, and he used a lot of red herrings. But I haven't read the entire thing.

Comment

• MrEricSir
                • Jan 2003

The Onion brings you all of the latest news, stories, photos, videos and more from America's finest news source.

Comment

• Garlisk
                  • Jan 2003

Now, this is going to be my only post here to avoid flaming so a response to it won't do a thief (this is my standard policy on political stuff in my gaming communities).

Powell's speech didn't change anything about what I thought. However, my thoughts already were that we should do what is necessary to remove this crazy tyrant from power.

Now, I am not at all a supporter of war. War sucks. If there is a peaceful solution, im sure it would be used. The problem is, Saddam isn't cooperating with anything that leads to a solution. It is my thought that war could be the only thing left, and in that case, I DO support THIS war.

The inspectors themselves say he isn't cooperating! Remember, the inspectors aren't there to FIND weapons, Saddam should be showing them REMAINS of the weapons that he should have destroyed by now. The fact that they find anything at all is wrong. They KNOW he has stuff because he had it years back, and used it. And now its gone, and there is no record of it. If he had destroyed it, I see no reason why he wouldn't give record of it.

Some of the other countrie's responses to Powell were just as compelling as his speech. What about Israel, they have nukes and WOMD. Well, as far as I know Israel never has a resolution passed saying they were a nutcase-lead nation that should be watched closely. I don't remember them throwing U.N. inspectors out of their contry. If it were not for that reason, I would see no problem with doing the same thing to Israel.

If there is a peaceful solution, use it. I don't think there is. The inspectors can't inspect because they have to search, and there is a lot of stuff left over (we won't even count what could have been made in this time).

My worry about a war: We go mash Iraq, alone or with the UN, however it turns out...and then Syria and every other country over there try to flatten Israel (again).

Thanks for reading my opinion.
                  Im Dak Garlisk, for the TUT community news. :?
                  Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
                  www.usyetzer.com

Comment

• LameHamster
                    • Feb 2003

Y'all have found ScrappleFace, right? :grin:
                    scrappleface.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, scrappleface.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

Working...
                    X