• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best RTS evar

Anyone who disagrees gets banned, especially MrEricSir. :twisted:

So erh... What is the best RTS evar? :?
    "There's no problem that can't be solved with a big crate!"

Comment

lol! Ahhh the memories. Too bad they fucked the Zerg with the last patch.
      (AKA Dresden)
      Despite all my rage, I am still just a dwarf in a cage.

Comment

Oh... Hey! That pic didn't show up last time i was in here1
        "There's no problem that can't be solved with a big crate!"

Comment

Originally posted by NeoPendragon
          lol! Ahhh the memories. Too bad they fucked the Zerg with the last patch.
          AWESOME game! Since the expansion, my fav team has been Protoss. Stealing an SCV then teleporting it with the Arbiter so I can build Terran defence in my lands is just sweet...followed by battlecrusiers, of course. 8)

Haven't played in a while though. What did they do to the Zerg in the last patch?

Kiech
          Kiech

Comment

I think it was that they made Spawning Pools 200 minerals. So they can't zergling rush (which had a counter tactic!! :x ). But now they can't get enough units to even protect themselves at the beginning of a game. So I quit playing since they were my favorite race.

A fine example of over nerfing. Well done, Blizzard.
            (AKA Dresden)

Comment

I think it was that they made Spawning Pools 200 minerals. So they can't zergling rush (which had a counter tactic!! :x ). But now they can't get enough units to even protect themselves at the beginning of a game. So I quit playing since they were my favorite race.

UGH...yea that sucks. It doesn't seem like it, but that precious minute can mean the game.

Also, I loved most of the new units in the game, really stirred everything up, but was it just me or did those 'air to air' flyers stink? I never really invested much time in them, althought the Protoss Crosiar had a cool power...finally something to deal with Terran defense.

Kiech
              Kiech

Comment

The Brood War air units ruled! You could easily rule the skys if had enough of them. The Corsair was like a machine gun, The Terran one had a huge area of effect and the Devourer had about 25 damage and could slow down enemy ships' rate of fire.
                (AKA Dresden)

Comment

Originally posted by Kiech Bepho

UGH...yea that sucks. It doesn't seem like it, but that precious minute can mean the game.

Also, I loved most of the new units in the game, really stirred everything up, but was it just me or did those 'air to air' flyers stink? I never really invested much time in them, althought the Protoss Crosiar had a cool power...finally something to deal with Terran defense.

Kiech
                  Any decent terran player used the "wall'in" tactic building the 1rst depot at the top of a slope , then closing the access with the barracks (acting like a door) to make a very strong rush shield. By the time the opponent had ranged units , the terrans had bunches of marines and medics.

Zergling were never that powerfull (compared to the zealots) and needed tons of upgrades to be effective. That change mutilates the game.

BTW Kiech , air to air are so specialized you use them in massive attacks generally. However , the corsairs are a must to counter mutalisk rushes. Devourers are usefull in defense against carriers/cruisers/corsairs/wraiths.

The lurker was probably the coolest (and ugliest) unit in the game. Indirect fire but massive damage on packs , some sort of ground valkyrie.

Comment

My friends are hardcore starcraft fans, even now. They still play it multi. For me, the best RTS is Total Annihilation! Because you really could have good defense there, and dammit it was fun to amass an army inside your wall of cannons. Nukes were to be feared tho. Kingdoms wasn't all that bad either.

Comment

Yay, Starcraft fans!

That wall-in tactic is clever. Anyone watched any replays of the big tournaments in Korea? Mad skillz right there.

Comment

Originally posted by Rykander
                        My friends are hardcore starcraft fans, even now. They still play it multi. For me, the best RTS is Total Annihilation! Because you really could have good defense there, and dammit it was fun to amass an army inside your wall of cannons. Nukes were to be feared tho. Kingdoms wasn't all that bad either.
                        Aircraft were way to overpowered in Total Anihilation, and nukes were easily countered by missile defense. Most defences could be pummeled in seconds by plasma cannons or Big Bertha's anyway, and your base was allways way to spread out because of the iron distribution.

It was still a great game though... the water battles rocked!

Comment

TA wins the prize for the most explosive RTS. All those infinite money sources and factories that pump out units so quickly they all jam up around the factory exit, new units shoving their way out. Nukes that destroy your entire base and units that can shoot across the whole map. Fun stuff, though.

Btw, I would recommend checking out C&C Generals! It suffers in the late game with silly infinite money buildings, no unit limit and lots of spammy nuke weapons, but the early game is great fun. So cool to watch the jeeps driving about, men setting up inside the urban areas, shooting rocket launchers from building windows, rocket buggies doing mad wheelies and jumps off of ridges.

Comment

Originally posted by Dalai
                            TA wins the prize for the most explosive RTS. All those infinite money sources and factories that pump out units so quickly they all jam up around the factory exit, new units shoving their way out. Nukes that destroy your entire base and units that can shoot across the whole map. Fun stuff, though.

Btw, I would recommend checking out C&C Generals! It suffers in the late game with silly infinite money buildings, no unit limit and lots of spammy nuke weapons, but the early game is great fun. So cool to watch the jeeps driving about, men setting up inside the urban areas, shooting rocket launchers from building windows, rocket buggies doing mad wheelies and jumps off of ridges.
                            The terrorists are gonna own, because their buildings will 'grow' back when you fail to destroy the tunnel system below. This actually has to be done with landbased weapons, and not super guns or aircraft.
                            "Fight on the ground! You coward American pigs!"

Comment

You guys should check out Moonbase Commander for a really fun game. I prefer it to all these RTS games mainly because I have a low capacity for dealing with multiple units - I enjoy the building of the base more than the combat, which means I'm very vulnerable to rushes, or even just multi-directional attacks.
                              Mordengaard - Tester/Mapper/Voice Actor/Nitpick/Coder

"Criminal: A person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation."
                              :: Howard Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X