DM Thief Makes Me Wonder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DM Thief Makes Me Wonder

A notorious DM thief logged onto the server today.
    The game was Breakout and there was only 1 guard for fully half of the game.
    Anyways, this DM thief managed to locate the "A" key and open the "A" door. Shortly after entering the courtyard area the thief died near door "B".

For the rest of the game this thief would enter the courtyard through door "A", run towards door "B" in an attempt to fetch a key he'd dropped there. He'd die again, and again, and again.

So I got to thinking, that must be the "B" key and the thief is trying to open the "B" door as to allow two ways in for subsequent tries. So I ran down to the "B" quarters and there sits the "B" key undisturbed for the entire game.

This DM thief died about 5 times trying to get a key for which he had absolutely no need.

This is one reason why I don't like DM thieves. I'm sorry, but most of them don't know how to even complete the simpliest of objectives because they don't even know the basics of a map. I'll grant you there are plenty of DM thieves out there that DO know a map real well, but frankly, most of them do NOT.

It even got worse when a second DM thief joined the game. They failed to communicate with each other enough to know the status of the KEYS which are well... the literal key to that map.

DM'ing too often leaves thieves with no real skills. More and more I find the best way to deal with them is to simply shut the door when they open it. They don't have the loadout or the know how to deal with a camped objective and if you refuse to follow them into the dark they are stuck holding thier BJ.

"A gerbil is a rodent, wretched creature and quite possibly represents yourself there unclean vile obsolete weak and live happily in there and others filth, they have caused plague and death to humans and nearly wiped us out" - industrialism

Please give me a name.

That kind of stupidity makes me wonder how they loaded Thievery in the first place.

Let me recap. Thief gets the A key.. unlocks the A door ... dies over by the B door ... goes on countless attempts to get back the A key even though the key is no longer needed.

I fail to see the logic. Is there some 2nd A door that he wanted to unlock? Or did he want to relock the A door so the guards would not know he was in.

Comment

Sounds like he was a lost newbie to me. Since you were the only 2 on the server at the time, did you think about maybe helping him out instead of mocking him? Maybe if someone helped him learn the map, he wouldn't feel that DMing is necessary all of the time. Hmm.

Kiech
      Kiech

Comment

Almost every newbie starts as a DMer, unless he has a guide. They learn to survive first, then play.

I was laughing right along with you, Mad Gerbil, until I read Kiech's post which rings out wisdom. Newbies have much more fun when they have someone friendly to talk to and who lets them in on the "secret strategies" of the game. No doubt the newbie was extremely frustrated and disheartened.

Also, try to let newbies win. Turn AI's backs to hallways, tuck them in closets, look the other way when you see them sometimes. They're more likely to stick around and get over the learning curve before getting frustrated and leaving.
        "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

Since when did campers like Gerbal care about newbie retention. He and Judge look to the day that no one logs into their server and they can have all the gold to themselves... alone... and gay.

Comment

I don't understand what his continued attempts to get a key for a door he'd already opened have to do with him being a "DM thief". A new thief of ANY playstyle could make that mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by twistedzed
              Since when did campers like Gerbal care about newbie retention. He and Judge look to the day that no one logs into their server and they can have all the gold to themselves... alone... and gay.
              Go away, no one likes you.
              The only constant is change.
              (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

I agree with LR and Kiech Bepho.

This could be any thief, and it could be a newbie who din't know what to do.

Mostly you can spot newbies by their name, and the way they die. In this case i really think it was a newbie.

Ah well
                On demand this signature has been changed. I hope nobody was insulted or got harmed due to my signature. If this is the case, I'm fully responsible for the harm that was done. Do you feel harmed or you simply want a listening ear?

Call 0900-PHAE

Comment

It could have been a hidden dev.
                  JM

Comment

Guys:

I've seen this thief on the server several times in the past three months. He is a member of a guild and an accomplished DM'er. If I had thought for a moment that this was a mere noobie I would have aided the thief.

Thanks for the benefit of the doubt, guys.

Mad Gerbil
                    "A gerbil is a rodent, wretched creature and quite possibly represents yourself there unclean vile obsolete weak and live happily in there and others filth, they have caused plague and death to humans and nearly wiped us out" - industrialism

Comment

Incidently, I just witnessed TheMachine(Wraith) remove the Rectory Gem on Korman which was being camped by two experienced guards in a small, trap filled room.

Congrats to someone who knows that thieving doesn't end with BJ'ing AI.

Comment

where is the 'b' key? sorry but i almost never get the keys ops:
                        This is my cool sig.

Comment

Perhaps, he thought he had the B key when he died. I've had numerous games when I've forgotten what I've picked up & have to check through my inventory.

He must've thought he picked up the B key, died & assumed that he dropped the B key where he died.

If you're wondering how he could think he had the key when he didn't:
                          He could've easily broken into the B-key room, got surprised by an AI, ran past the table & thought he had grabbed the key when he actually didn't.
                          Why would he bother checking the B-key room again, if he thought he had the key?

MG, could you please name this person, or everyone is gonna think it was me, now

Comment

Thanks for the benefit of the doubt, guys.
                            We wuv you, Gerbie!

Seriously, we've read plenty of threads of yours about DMers. (The fact that there was only one guard for half the game highly suggests DMing, like you said.) The only way we could explain this irrational behavior if the thief were NOT a DMer is if he were a noob. (I reread and you said "notorious," meaning he's been around.) So, we turned this thread into a noob thread instead of "I hate another DMer" thread. Relax.

Ok. Here's my contribution: Don't hate DMers -- love 'em, because you can mess with 'em

Point made, tho. DMers are killed off early on, leaving the better thieves to complete the maps. In the rare chance when a DM thief is left to do the job himself, he finds himself inexperienced.
                            "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

Originally posted by daniel
                              where is the 'b' key? sorry but i almost never get the keys ops:
                              Erm, really?

It appears that Daniel is taking ghosting literally, & actually walking through those doors

Comment

Working...
                              X