Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Asbestos Guard

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Asbestos Guard

    Why are the servers set to 'no friendly fire'? This makes for a very unusual play style for many guards. Example the Asbestos Guard:

    Guard shoots a firebolt at area he believes thief is in, but doesn't tag anything. So, him and his buddy run up to the small fire that was made, LIGHT THEMSELVES ON FIRE, and proceed to scan out the surrounding area.

    WHO, IN THEIR RIGHT MIND, WOULD EVER LIGHT THEMSELVES ON FIRE???

    It just doesn't make any sense. The only reason they can get away with it is because guard weapons don't hurt other guards. It is set this way to detract lamers/ragers...but if lamers are getting banned anyways, why should we make special unrealistic changes for them? This would also force guards to be more careful when using their weapons, instead of striking non-chalantly, else they may weaken each other. Example a guard that starts whacking away when anyone that opens a door, just because it could be a thief, and not their buddy patroling around. Again, it doesn't make sense.

    Yet it happens, every day, because we put in a setting to deter lamers.

    Bah.

    Kiech
    Kiech

  • #2
    Maybe we should set friendly fire to 50%?
    If only for a few games, just to experiment with it.


    Then again, some guards I know are just plain trigger happy, they slash friendly guards when they have nothing to do... I'd hate it if I got killed by another reckless guard and there are no other lives left.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by -=V12US=-
      Maybe we should set friendly fire to 50%?
      If only for a few games, just to experiment with it.


      Then again, some guards I know are just plain trigger happy, they slash friendly guards when they have nothing to do... I'd hate it if I got killed by another reckless guard and there are no other lives left.
      Well, if a player is doing that, he is already a rager, and by server rules deserves a kick/ban. I say enforce the current rules, and don't put us in a 'bubble' of unnatural protection.

      Those who think they are just having fun attacking other guards, but are otherwise noble in their efforts, will quit attacking other players altoghether, because there will be immediate consequences to his actions.

      Kiech
      Kiech

      Comment


      • #4
        If I'm correct, guards do take some damage from being on fire. I don't think it is much, but I thought they did.

        I agree with you though that guards should take damage.

        I also think that excessive "firebolt damage" should do damage to the facility and its surrounding area, and a guards objective should be to protect the facility (including nonloot) and not torch it. I mean, who would hire guards to protect a few hundred loot if they do thousands of dollars worth of damage???
        Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
        "Dream is Destiny"
        Waking Life

        Comment


        • #5
          My only problem here is, this is a melee, life based game. Imagine a thief throwing a flash in your face in an AI infested room, most players would jump around slashing wildly... if ff were on, AI's and thus lives couldve been killed.

          Another reason, since the game is melee based, guards have to get close to the thief to kill him... can you guess what happens when two guards are trying to kill one thief?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Kiech Bepho
            Why are the servers set to 'no friendly fire'? This makes for a very unusual play style for many guards. Example the Asbestos Guard:

            Guard shoots a firebolt at area he believes thief is in, but doesn't tag anything. So, him and his buddy run up to the small fire that was made, LIGHT THEMSELVES ON FIRE, and proceed to scan out the surrounding area.

            WHO, IN THEIR RIGHT MIND, WOULD EVER LIGHT THEMSELVES ON FIRE???
            Kiech
            I LMAO'ed when I read this!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by -=V12US=-
              My only problem here is, this is a melee, life based game. Imagine a thief throwing a flash in your face in an AI infested room, most players would jump around slashing wildly... if ff were on, AI's and thus lives couldve been killed.

              Another reason, since the game is melee based, guards have to get close to the thief to kill him... can you guess what happens when two guards are trying to kill one thief?
              All the more reason to be careful with your weapons. In both of your cases, the guards are swinging just to swing, and do not have a clear target before them. I haven't seen anyone hit 2 people with one swing, so in your second case the guards are just hoping to get lucky...well, luck can roll both ways.

              Kiech
              Kiech

              Comment


              • #8
                I think it could be looked at after 1.3, but currently I think thieves have it easy enough alot of the time.
                CTG

                Rhymin & Stealin

                Comment


                • #9
                  Uh, guards are wearing metal. Last time I checked (about 15 minutes ago) metal really doesn't burn that well. It just melts, which no doubt would be extremely painful for anyone wearing the armor. So maybe the guards shouldn't start on fire, but rather just take damage if they run through it.
                  It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Adrock
                    I think it could be looked at after 1.3, but currently I think thieves have it easy enough alot of the time.
                    Why? What is going to change between now and 1.3? The same lame tactics that guards use now will still be valid in 1.3. This is strictly a server-setting issue.

                    And as for it being too easy for thieves as it is, thats a big matter of opinion. I don't think we need to give anyone 'special' protection when its abused in this way. Remember, the servers were set this way to stop lamers, not help them.

                    Kiech
                    Kiech

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by BiG_D
                      Uh, guards are wearing metal. Last time I checked (about 15 minutes ago) metal really doesn't burn that well. It just melts, which no doubt would be extremely painful for anyone wearing the armor. So maybe the guards shouldn't start on fire, but rather just take damage if they run through it.
                      actually certain metals do burn, they just have to be EXTREMELY hot to do
                      so. also would depend on what the fire arrows use as thier fuel.
                      For instance if said fire arrow was aflame with, Napalm say, well anything it hit
                      would catch fire. I have seen U.S. Navy fighter jets drop napalm on the
                      ocean and it was aflame. of course it was the napalm burning and not the ocean
                      itself, but you get the idea. So devs? whats the fuel on the tip o the fire arrow?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Ghostly apparition
                        So devs? whats the fuel on the tip o the fire arrow?
                        Not napalm, water doesn't really work on that too well. Besides, stepping into the fireplace does the same thing, only it does damage. I guess their underclothes are burning. (You are wearing them right? Please don't answer that!)

                        Kiech
                        Kiech

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Kiech Bepho
                          Why? What is going to change between now and 1.3? The same lame tactics that guards use now will still be valid in 1.3. This is strictly a server-setting issue.

                          And as for it being too easy for thieves as it is, thats a big matter of opinion. I don't think we need to give anyone 'special' protection when its abused in this way. Remember, the servers were set this way to stop lamers, not help them.
                          Kiech
                          I think someone said the BJ will not be as effective, and guards will wake up from being KO'd. Also something about less arrows for thieves...

                          This would make guard life easier, which would make adding ff to the servers less detrimental to their survival.
                          CTG

                          Rhymin & Stealin

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            ...and the sword is getting nerfed...

                            But still, what the thief uses now are not unnatural tactics. Setting yourself on fire, or slashing at something that could be friend as easily as a foe is. If you are looking for pure balance in this issue, look to the loot spawn bug. The guards are decidedly NOT picking up loot anymore, because of the respawn bug. Should they not also give up their precious immunity to other guards attacks, which is really nothing more than another bug?

                            Kiech
                            Kiech

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Kiech Bepho
                              ...and the sword is getting nerfed...

                              Kiech
                              Says who? O_o

                              What are they nerfing on the sword?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X