can someone please explain to me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can someone please explain to me...

why is "owning" your opponents so important?

I'm only a moderate player, but I can't for the life of me imagine caring more about PWNING THE L3WZER2 than having a good time...

things I enjoy in thievery:
    -a good chase
    -hunting down a thief
    -tagging some unsuspecting taffer in the dark using sound alone to place him

why must I indulge childish name calling and undeserved harrasment (ie."take that RLF scum" and this was not all in good fun) just to get those things? I start to feel that the price is too high when everyone around me is trying their best to OWN me.

If I lose a thief in a good chase, I stop and compliment them. I'm still happy to have been doing it, I dont' care that I got OWNED. (Although I admit that what I consider to be good chases very rarely end in circle strafing or circle strafe attempts, I pretty much always consider that to be a chore) I'm just enjoying myself and doing it with other people. My feeling is that if you want to win so badly that your consideration for others is second, third or fourth on your priority list, then maybe you've got to take a long look inside and figure out what part of your ego needs a blow job, and go out and pay for it if you have to.

Call this a whining thread, fine.
    Call it a "I'm sick of being owned" thread, fine.
    Be dismissive if you must, but this board isn't here just for threads about pizza.

It's called CS syndrome, all games have it... though the problem lies with the players and not the game.

If you don't like it, either say it ingame or don't care. I too get fed up once in a while, but most of the times I just own them back.

Comment

[quote="poe"]

why must I indulge childish name calling and undeserved harrasment (ie."take that RLF scum" and this was not all in good fun) just to get those things? I start to feel that the price is too high when everyone around me is trying their best to OWN me.

[quote]

Well, when I kill a thief I usually taunt something about the rebellion will prevail or something...RLF scum sound a LOT similar to star wars imperial guys saying "rebel scum". Think of that kind of stuff as role-playing, not harrasment. Then join in the fun taunts

I know what you mean though. I also know that many people say this stuff in a joking manner, especially if its spelled PWNZER or PWN because thats l33t speak and is seemingly ridiculed by everyone I don't even know where its actually used. Kind of like rap...seems to be THE thing, but ask someone if they like it...

Anyone Poe...im gonna say this... you are SUPER SUPER SENSATIVE to EVERYTHING! Loosen up a lil'!

Im kind of in the same boat as you and them...I just want to have fun, BUT it is a competition of sorts, and in that way I want to do my extreme best to win, or pwn as some may say.
      Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
      www.usyetzer.com

Comment

Yeah, when I claim to have "pwned" someone, I'm usually just joking around.I don't think I've heard anyone say it in a serious manner.Also Poe,Garlisk is right,don't take the taunts so seriously,as they are probably kidding anyways.You have to remember the most important thing, it's just a game.

Comment

Ownage ->

To me ownage means this :-

EVERYTHING done by the player or team 'owning' the map or server at that time is fluid, co-ordinated and slick. Every action that the team makes is pulled off with skill and effectiveness.

i.e. Guards are commuinicating extremely well, when a player calls for help help arrives, possibly from different directions trapping the target, whom is then dispacted of quickly.

i.e2. 2 Thieve's 'owning' the map may be decoy / DMing effectively. I don't mind this at all, as it requires skill and teamwork, counter this with skill and teamwork from guards. The pair rely on the lone guard.

Ownage on a more individual bases could be described as a thief whom manipulates the guards (i.e causes a distraction in one area and entering via another) the plan goes well and the theif is said to have 'owned' the guards. Suggesting that he intedend for them to perform an action (in this instance investigate his distraction) and they did, they fell for his 'trick'.

However, OWNAGE is not a word to be used lightly, such as LOVE, the overuse of the word brings about desensitized views of it. I would only describe my performace as OWNAGE if I killed every theif on the level in a very short space of time without being KO'd or Killed, AND against good players, which has only happened about twice.

I agree with Virus, PWNAGE or l33t speak is just idiots trying to show off, if they realised how stupid they looked taking all their garbage they'd stop. But for know we'll just have to laugh from afar.
          ~TuF~

Comment

Nah, I'm not out after winning every game. I've actually asked people in-game who's used a lame tactic of some sort: 'Is winning what matters to you?'. Most people say yes, but I don't agree.

I'd rather have a fun, intence game with cool players, than just win.

Comment

If winning doesn't matter to you, why not let them use thier lame tactics so THEY can have fun too?

No matter who you are you are here for fun, people just have differing ideas of fun. Some people think raging is fun. We think they are morons, but no doubt, they are here for fun.

My point is, if you didn't care about winning, you wouldn't care if they used lame tactics and won. You only care that they use lame tactics is because you want a "fair" chance to win.

Im not flaming or anything Just stating what I think here.
              Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
              www.usyetzer.com

Comment

Originally posted by poe
                Call this a whining thread, fine.
                Call it a "I'm sick of being owned" thread, fine.
                Be dismissive if you must, but this board isn't here just for threads about pizza.
                This is NOT a whining thread. I see that same lack of consideration for other players you do. I DO enjoy winning, but I enjoy a well played game that I lose, too, as long as the winners don't GLOAT over it, or take it as some sign of their superiority. It's THAT attitude I take exception to. If you won, whether it's an individual conflict within the round, or the entire round itself, by all means, be proud of it and pat yourself on the back. But DON'T denigrate the other player because of it.

Comment

quote//Laughing Rat
                  This is NOT a whining thread. I see that same lack of consideration for other players you do. I DO enjoy winning, but I enjoy a well played game that I lose, too, as long as the winners don't GLOAT over it, or take it as some sign of their superiority. It's THAT attitude I take exception to. If you won, whether it's an individual conflict within the round, or the entire round itself, by all means, be proud of it and pat yourself on the back. But DON'T denigrate the other player because of it.[/quote]

Hear Hear!! I Think thats what Poe is getting at, Gloating and putting
                  down the other player because they got (owned).
                  Everyone has thier day, think of how you would feel before Gloating
                  and indulging in selfish unsportsmanlike conduct.

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                    This is NOT a whining thread. I see that same lack of consideration for other players you do. I DO enjoy winning, but I enjoy a well played game that I lose, too, as long as the winners don't GLOAT over it, or take it as some sign of their superiority. It's THAT attitude I take exception to. If you won, whether it's an individual conflict within the round, or the entire round itself, by all means, be proud of it and pat yourself on the back. But DON'T denigrate the other player because of it.
                    Agreed. On the flipside, Thievery is a fairly small and close community, and there's a lot of good natured banter. Mangy Cur and I have a running thing going -- it's not like either of is taking it seriously, it's just fun. I'll occasionally shout "Owned!" or the like after a particularly impressive move by a player, but I'm not gloating over anything, I'm just complimenting someone on a nice job.

Just remember there's a difference between "THAT attitude" and friendly banter.
                    Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

Poe:

I think you have a good attitude in game, I dunno if I've ever seen you talk down to anyone. That being said, you often spend entire games "owning" and I'm guessing people are rude back to you because you often dominate so thoroughly. 8)

For a thief that has taken a dozen beat downs via your mace, they probably cannot help but scream something when they finally git ya.
                      "A gerbil is a rodent, wretched creature and quite possibly represents yourself there unclean vile obsolete weak and live happily in there and others filth, they have caused plague and death to humans and nearly wiped us out" - industrialism

Comment

Owning is fun. I'm doing it everytime I play.
                        JM

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_Gerbil
                          Poe:

I think you have a good attitude in game, I dunno if I've ever seen you talk down to anyone. That being said, you often spend entire games "owning" and I'm guessing people are rude back to you because you often dominate so thoroughly. 8)

For a thief that has taken a dozen beat downs via your mace, they probably cannot help but scream something when they finally git ya.
                          True: a consequence of being as good as you are is, people tend to
                          overreact when they finally win one against you.
                          Take it as a compliment.

Comment

I am not responsible for any of those grotesque insults that the very noble guild of RLF had to endure since I started playing thievery.

My dislike of MG is purely accidential. I have nothing against any of the other RLF members. It is not their fault that MG's webs of evil had ensnared them :roll:

I assure you, when I will begin my plan for world domination, things will be different

Comment

Imo its best to keep the shit talk/banter downgraded, ther are only a few people i take exceptions with. KAM CD and Gerbs.

Its attitude not the words, if an attitutde is coming across bad jsut tell the person you think has it/ is doing it.
                              How TuF are you?
                              League of Legends
                              Bloodbowl by Extensions

Comment

Working...
                              X