Post Counter Gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Counter Gone

Ok, the post count thing was getting out of hand there. And that was hilarious how everybody was compared to LaughingRat for a while.

But post counters still serve a purpose: to identify newbie posters. This is gone now. I propose a method to still distingusih newcomers, yet not encourage postwhoring.

User <= 50 posts, display an icon of a shiny star, or something unique with a tooltip that says "new poster" or something to that effect.

User > 500 posts, display an icon that symbolizes a heavy poster, with a similar tooltip.

The first makes new posters recognizable quickly to everyone else. The second makes heavy posters identifiable quickly to the newbies. For everyone in between, nothing is displayed at all, which eliminates the whole "race to post more," and since the high-end cap is so darn high, nobody in their right mind would shoot for that goal.
    "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Yes, I was thrilled when they removed the post count! ^_^

Instead of your idea, why not put New Member as a rank for users which hasn't posted more than 100 posts or so, and just Member when they've posted above that count.

Comment

Originally posted by Buho
      Ok, the post count thing was getting out of hand there. And that was hilarious how everybody was compared to LaughingRat for a while.

But post counters still serve a purpose: to identify newbie posters. This is gone now. I propose a method to still distingusih newcomers, yet not encourage postwhoring.

User <= 50 posts, display an icon of a shiny star, or something unique with a tooltip that says "new poster" or something to that effect.

User > 500 posts, display an icon that symbolizes a heavy poster, with a similar tooltip.

The first makes new posters recognizable quickly to everyone else. The second makes heavy posters identifiable quickly to the newbies. For everyone in between, nothing is displayed at all, which eliminates the whole "race to post more," and since the high-end cap is so darn high, nobody in their right mind would shoot for that goal.
      Good idea, or perhaps make it a little more thievery, by using loot pictures of varrying worth.

IE: People with high postcounts would get an expensive loot item as a pic, whilst people with a low postcount, or newbies would start with a less expensive loot item.

Comment

Well, then LR has 'earned' the lyre!

Comment

Originally posted by mOdEtWo
          Well, then LR has 'earned' the lyre!

Not nearly good enough... :roll:
          "There's no problem that can't be solved with a big crate!"

Comment

The point of three categories (the largest of which is invisible), is to eliminate the race to post more, not encourage it

Comment

heheh i noticed this a few days ago, but I didn't mention it for fear it had already been brought up.

I like the picture of loot of different values idea
              CTG

Rhymin & Stealin

Comment

Actually, I'd like to amend my original rules after I looked at the member stats some. 255 people out of 314 have posted less than 50 messages.

* Posts < 20 AND JoinedDate < 1 month ago - newbie (gold cup)

* Posts > 500 - heavy poster (lyre)

* Otherwise, nothing.

At this time, only about 80 people fall into the newbie category, or about 25% of the community. But that number is slightly higher than normal because this forum is only 1.5 months old.

I like the loot items, if it's restricted to just two items for the extremes and no item for in between.

Comment

Spamming Spree !
                  Redneck Rampage !
                  Postwhoring !
                  Unstoppable ...
                  TardLike

i was gonna use this system....

not a good idea? 8)
                  I'm not so bad... Once you get to know me.

Comment

It's still possible to compare postcounts in the members section, if you want.

PHPBB does allow forum ranks to be assigned based on post count. It's very easy to do. I think you can also associate images with postcount, but that's a bit more involved.

Comment

possible, obviously. doesn't mean i'm actually gonna, unless i know i won't be yelled at.

Comment

Originally posted by Thwark
                        possible, obviously. doesn't mean i'm actually gonna, unless i know i won't be yelled at.
                        When have you ever let the threat of being yelled at stop you?

Comment

just because i don't listen to everyone, it doesn't mean that i don't listen to anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Thwark
                            Spamming Spree !
                            Redneck Rampage !
                            Postwhoring !
                            Unstoppable ...
                            TardLike

i was gonna use this system....

not a good idea? 8)
                            LAL this must be the funniest scoring system ever

Comment

I wouldn't want to be Unstoppable.