Hmm...AI guards behaving strangely

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmm...AI guards behaving strangely

Ok.. a few days ago Sneaky and I were guarding a map against 2 other thieves (i think it was 2). Anyway, we were messin around on the map (forgot which map but its not important) and setting up guards and what not, and all of a sudden this one AI slowly walks to the chest, and uses it! Im like.."the AI just used the chest!" Then he slowly walked back to his position we placed him at.

Then on spider last night.. i was guarding alone against one thief. I had all the AI set up nicely in front of all Apt doors, well then a thief comes down the hall by where the ladder comes into the inner courtyard... hits my AI in the front like twice.. and didnt knock him out. The thief ran off and escaped.. But that AI who I originally told to guard that Door for the security camera control was scared to stand there! He would come to the Apt side of the bridge and stay by the other guards!! I was like um? and I told him to follow me back to his door. He walked half way across the bridge and turned around! Then I decided I would push him across the bridge and finally got him to the door and told him to Guard Here. I walked away and low and behold.. he went right back to that spot on the other side by the Apts. that AI was scared as hell! Even after I told him to stand down.. he was still chicken.

Then today on spider.. once again.. it was me and iceweasel guarding, we set up all the AI in front of the doors.. and out of no where one of the AI decides to walk across the bridge, use the chest, and walk back across! Whats goin on here?! Are they supposed to do that?

Ai has been known to use chest. It's just not very often seen since the dam thieves always KO them.

As for them not wanting to follow you that's because the place you where trying to take them was probably not pathnoded. They probably jumped on top of something and got stuck. Take for example skelstonshead. IN the rooves the ai can't enter or exit the door/building because it has no pathnodes. As well as when the ai gets stuck in the water place. It can't go out because it was poorly pathnoded.

Pathnodes let the AI know they can go there. That's why some levels are better than others. Good pathnodes.

Comment

It is known that "fear" and "acquiring" behaviors outweight following or guarding orders... so a sniped guard won't stand still (not that foolish !) until danger is gone.
      The Follow order has quite a high priority (you don't want a suspicious guard just roam around when you need him somewhere) so if you make the AI camp (lower priority order , as well as patrol and roam) it will find the chest when it needs flares.

Comment

I see the AI use the chest all the time...

Comment

me 2
          This is my cool sig.

Comment

I've seen the AI use the chest, too. AS for the one that didn't want to stay put, maybe it's this: There are two AI in Spiders that are somehow "tied" to Captain Crunx. They follow him everywhere. If you stop the captain and order him to the apartments, those two go with him, even if you didn't tell them to. So perhaps if you're trying to position them too far away from the captain, the try to move towards him?

Comment

I always grab the captain and drag him up to the apartments, along with two other guards, and you instantly have five guards at the apartments. But, I thought if you ordered one of the captains men then they would do what you said and forget about the captain... maybe that's wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by Yenzarill
                I always grab the captain and drag him up to the apartments, along with two other guards, and you instantly have five guards at the apartments. But, I thought if you ordered one of the captains men then they would do what you said and forget about the captain... maybe that's wrong...
                I honestly don't know, I was just speculating.

Comment

Originally posted by Reborn
                  As for them not wanting to follow you that's because the place you where trying to take them was probably not pathnoded. They probably jumped on top of something and got stuck. Take for example skelstonshead. IN the rooves the ai can't enter or exit the door/building because it has no pathnodes. As well as when the ai gets stuck in the water place. It can't go out because it was poorly pathnoded.

Pathnodes let the AI know they can go there. That's why some levels are better than others. Good pathnodes.
                  NO. Apparently i wasn't clear the first time. This is SPIDER.. the only level that actually works properly in the entire TUT map archive. Every area is pathnoded except maybe by the pool area. But the entire courtyard area is noded (except for on top of the big boxes). And this wasn't a strange spot to stick an AI either. I posted him in front of the security camera switch door. he guarded fine there for the majority of the game until he saw a thief.. then he ran after him like normal. Then the thief whacked him and arrowed him a few times, and ran away. Time went by to allow the guards to leave "alert" mode, and it wasnt like he was running to avoid being sniped since he was in combat mode. But instead of saying "ah must've been rats" and returning to his post... he walked to the grail side of the bridge and stood there. Now when i said follow me back to the Security camera door, he said "Aye, Aye" and It looked like he was getting stuck at turning a corner.. so thats why i pushed him. So i pushed him to the straight part of the bridge, which he had no problem walking past to get on my side.. I said follow me.. and started to walk.. he followed for a few steps.. then turned around and went back..
                  So then i pushed him all the way across the bridge and up to the door that he had been guarding the entire time before this incident. I said "Guard Here" and he said "Aye Aye" I even threw a "stand down" in there first.. then said "guard here"..and repeated the command like 3 times. I walked a few steps away.. and he was fine.. I took a few more in a totally different direction... and he walked BACK across the bridge!! He wasn't alerted or anything.. he just walked slowly across the bridge and stood in a safer spot by his buddies. I know there are certain areas like in Asylum Green House and stuff where guards can't go. And I know that when they are sniped or alerted they move around a lot... but the Stand Down command resets them no matter what. And this guard was reset just fine and totally calm. But he wouldn't stay at that area. HE WAS SCARED!

LR, your idea is sound... however I think yenz is correct that you take priority over the guard... plus... like i said above, He stayed there for most of the game just fine. It wasn't until after he got his helmet broken and beat up a little.. then he started acting this way. And all my AI was posted in these positions the whole game.

The only thing I think it may have been was he was trying to use the chest, but couldn't get past a guard in front of it so he ran into the guard and you know how when two guards hit they turn around and take a few steps away and wait and try again. Maybe he was trying to get to the chest, couldn't, stepped back a little and waited to try again but i was pushin him so much that he was still hell bent on gettin that chest.

Comment

But he wouldn't stay at that area. HE WAS SCARED!
                    :lol: maybe he just got bored-or wanted to stretch his legs but its both fun and annoying when they do this. I think it was spider also-set a guard to guard here and he walks off and I discover him later at the other side of the map :x :grin:
                    I think on some maps it is Pathnoding- Take nostalgia if the lyre is in the safe they always get stuck in the door frame (door from beds area into safe room) because they always (for me at any rate) stop at the door :cry: Im guessing its the pathnodes in Gerome which ALWAYS makes them all walk in the fires for me so I lose all my ai when I guard and Nostalgia again the guard on the roof always jumps off the roof when ever I order it :x
                    [E.D.G] "Eaves Droppers Guild - we're on the edge."

All New Thievery-O's!

Comment

Yea i know..pathnodes suck.. that why i end up pushing my Guards everywhere.. Grange is the worst! IN that dark balcony room that over looks the dining room area, if you say follow me to that guard, he starts to follow then as soon as you walk thru the doorway heading towards the main stair case, he feels compelled to go run and open one of the double squeaky doors leading to the back yard.

But trust me, in this case, pathnoding is not even an issue.

Comment

More and more AI have been hitting me with there perfect aim 2 or 3 seconds after I've used an invis potion! This never happened when I first started playing Thievery. WTF?

Comment

Thats cuz you are getting more daring and doing things closer to AI then before because you are getting more skilled.

Comment

Working...
                          X