Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Austrailians: Something in the water? or something else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austrailians: Something in the water? or something else?

Is it just me or do all ex-ATG members (all from austrailia) have unbelievable amounts of WTF KO's?

Last night I got my ass...er.. head handed to me about 4 times from Yenzarill in about 5 minutes. All of them were WTF KO's. If you dont know what a WTF KO is.. its when you are looking at the Thief the entire time, keeping up with his moves and then..BAM ..your out cold and the thief was in your sight the entire time so right away you say "WHAT THE F#CK!?!?!" because you just dont understand how you could be KO'd when the thief is still 5 feet in front of you.

Rodent, Yenzarill, and i hear impulse too, seem to be proficient experts at this.... And after close observation it occured that they were all in ATG and are all Austrailian. So is it something in the water that makes them this good? or perhaps other austrailian...ehem... assistance?!

I think that's DM circlestrafing + lag. A "WTF" KO is when you never saw it coming, didn't even know a thief was there.

In response to your question, it's probably the lag most Australians get on most servers.

Comment

lol yea..but the pings were great... 90-160's I know when im lag KO'd and I know when Im circlestrafed.. I don't say WTF when i dont know its coming.. because thats a valid KO.. if I didn't know a thief was there then I deserved to get hit. Thats not a WTF KO. A WTF KO is when you get hit but dont understand how you could have since you are looking at the theif... then you're like "WTF???!, How did you do that!" but these are those WTF KO's that are common among the austrailian connection.. and Swiss Mercenary. but these are fluid movements and even after Im KO'd I leave the camera on the spot and the thief is stilll in front of me. this was against one thief only so i know it wasn't double team. happens to lots of us with these select players.. hmm

Comment

I'm inclined to side with LR on his definition of a WTF KO.

Also, not to confuse you more, but don't forget the Quality Knockout, or QKO!
        "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

Originally posted by Buho
          I'm inclined to side with LR on his definition of a WTF KO.

Also, not to confuse you more, but don't forget the Quality Knockout, or QKO!
          shocking.. lol.. but thats a big fat OFF TOPIC. i say WTF when that happens.. so in my little world.. that is what a WTF KO is.. doesn't matter.

QKO is what i would consider your idea of the WTF KO. You get hit cuz you turned your back on a shadow and the Thief capitalized on you.. Full Contact, Full Quality. Makes more sense.. but all the same.. call a giraffe a giraffe, or call it something else.. its still a giraffe.

Back to the aussie topic....

Comment

Sorry Kewl but I always thought the use of WTF KO referred to when you got KO'd but never saw the thief.

Examples are when you are in a well-lit area and a thief is hiding in the shadow of a chair or table you walk by and get knocked out. Or even one of those areas that look like they have no shadow but a thief is completely hidden.

As for a program or hack to do what you are talking about I don't think there could be one. A hack like that would not be on the client but on the server. Well I could be wrong and I probably am. But from what you describe the thief never goes to your side or behind you even after you die the thief never goes behind or beside you. Meaning even if it was lag they would register behind you with in a coupe of seconds after you got KO but actually never register on the server as moving behind or in front of you. That can't be done by lag or a hack on the client’s end that has to be on the server. Just my thoughts on it since the server sends you the information. Well it could be your system also that never registers the movement.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by KewlAzMe
              Back to the aussie topic....
              OK, then. Ping may not be the factor. Ping lag makes things happen after they seem to. But the kind of lag that makes things seem to bounce and "teleport" around is usually due to packet loss. It's possible to have a phenomenal ping, but still be suffering from significant packet loss. In those cases, a thief might seem to be in front of you because the information from their computer, to the server, to you has been lost and is being re-sent, but from their perspective, they've moved behind (or to the side) of you and KO'd you. Then the lost packets get through, get sent to you, and you "catch up" to where they are, meaning you're suddenly KO'd, even though the last thing you saw was them standing in front of you.

About leaving the followcam on after being KO'd and seeing the thief still in front of you: Not sure. Only thing that comes to mind is that after KO'ing you, they moved back a little. Either that, or maybe they lean-KO'd you, so they were never actually far from in front of you anyway.

Comment

Kore, as we have all seen in UT, Bots are all clientside. the UTConsole.uc file does no checking in the server and therefore allows clientside modifications. That explains things like Aim bots and Radar hacks and stuff.. but you are correct, I cannot feasibly think of anyway to program a blip into the server side to totally not see an attack. Perhaps it is the water!

I think you may be right LR, although I have never had any packet loss on anyserver. However, with the way Impulse teleports around my screen and many others' screens, it may just be a crappy Sonet line coming from austrailia to the rest of the WWW. I dont see yenz and rodent jump around like impulse does, but maybe in the midst of lag due to fire arrows or something, my PC misses something.

Question for Yenz, rodent and impulse:
                What are you computer specs? Processor Speed, RAM, vid card.
                I have a relatively slow computer that I am upgrading on friday, perhaps my PC just can't compute that fast.. especially at low FPS due to firebolts. perhaps the upgrade will improve things.. although its not that great of an upgrade.

Comment

I think you may be right LR, although I have never had any packet loss on anyserver. However, with the way Impulse teleports around my screen and many others' screens, it may just be a crappy Sonet line coming from austrailia to the rest of the WWW. I dont see yenz and rodent jump around like impulse does, but maybe in the midst of lag due to fire arrows or something, my PC misses something.
                  KAM, you're not the only one who's commented that impulse teleports all over the place, so I doubt it's your system specs. The problem might be caused by PL on the other players side, though, and not on yours.

Comment

Pentium 4, 1.7gh
                    256ddr
                    Geforce 2 64mb
                    Cable Modem

Even with a cable modem I get 370+ ping on crackaz and 430+ on mogs, although there is no packet loss.
                    Nightwarden,
                    .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
                    - "Earth dons the red; calls the maggots."

Comment

hmm..

450Mhz PII
                      384 MB SDRam
                      32MB vid Geforce
                      Cable modem

I get ping anywhere from 90-340 on most public servers. usually around 180 range

Comment

hmm..
                        I got:
                        450Mhz PII
                        384 MB SDRam
                        32MB vid Geforce
                        Cable modem

I get ping anywhere from 90-340 on most public servers. usually around 180 range.. never any PL.

Im upgrading to
                        750Mhz PIII
                        64MB ati7000

Comment

The reason you see Impulse blip around currently, is because he is using a laptop with a 56k, and gets pings around 500
                          Nightwarden,

Comment

Im upgrading to
                            750Mhz PIII
                            64MB ati7000
                            The vidcard upgrade there is decent, but if you're going to spend money upgrading, put something into that CPU. You're upgrading to what is quickly becoming a LOW end machine. In addition, the Unreal engine is unusually CPU dependent, so you'll see a much bigger performance boost putting your money there than you will into a new vid card.

Comment

also Kewl, It's Australians, not Austrailians
                              Nightwarden,

Comment

Working...
                              X