Very OT: The Ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very OT: The Ring

As the title says, very off topic. Have you seen the previews for 'The Ring'? Why in the world would they say its: the scariest film since the Sixth Sense? Who would say that? The Sixth Sense, while an incredible movie, wasn't very scary. 'The Ring' sounds like crap to me, especially after seeing the flop 'feardotcom.com' on video. Anyways, anyone want to give a review, or thoughts on how dumb their promotion is?

Again, sorry, but this has just been bugging the living crap out of me.

Kiech
    Kiech

I think if you got really immersed in The Sixth Sense it was pretty scary. Example: the little boy gets up in the middle of the night to go to the toilet, and the temperature gauge on the wall begins to plummet. Down and down it goes... until his breath is steaming. He hears someone walking down the hallway behind him and he follows them into the kitchen. He says, "Mum?" - and the woman turns around, her face all cut up, and begins to shriek at him.
    Of course it's not particularly scary in text but (if you have a pulse) some parts of that movie were very much so.

I thought The Ring was a great movie. Couple of minor plot holes but who cares? You're there to have the crap scared out of you and it works. In a few of the scenes you could feel the shock run through the entire crowd in the cinema. Incredible.

Feardotcom looks like a cheap rip of The Ring to me, but I haven't seen it.
    Nightmaster,
    .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
    - "until the cat is skinned"

Comment

The Ring = kick arse movie

I would highly recommend anyone going to see it.
      Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
      "Dream is Destiny"
      Waking Life

Comment

Fear Dot Com was a shitty rip-off of the same idea, which was made in 1998 in japan. the American version fo the ring (which is a really really faithful remake of the japanese version) is very good - i liekd it a lot.

note: the japanese version has a sequel and a prequel - i'd recommend watching the american version, and the three japanese movies - my opinion is that the mythos of The Ring is as interesting, or more interesting, than the movies themselves
        I'm not so bad... Once you get to know me.

Comment

Sixth Sence was more suspenseful than scary. I knew it wasn't about people getting hacked into little pieces, so I wasn't really scared. As for 'feardotcom.com' it has its moments, but basically a ghost has hacked a website and kills people that visit it...give me a break.

Maybe I will watch the Ring, nothing on TV thursday night anyways and my wife wants to watch a video tomorrow. Plus NBC is doing their 'night of a thousand repeats'...

Kiech
          Kiech

Comment

The American version is spooky-assed, can't say I was too impressed with the Japanese one though- everything that was implied in the US version is just overtly said instead. The video in the US version's a lot more disconcerting too. Well worth seeing all in all.

Comment

Originally posted by Thwark
              Fear Dot Com was a shitty rip-off of the same idea, which was made in 1998 in japan. the American version fo the ring (which is a really really faithful remake of the japanese version) is very good - i liekd it a lot.

note: the japanese version has a sequel and a prequel - i'd recommend watching the american version, and the three japanese movies - my opinion is that the mythos of The Ring is as interesting, or more interesting, than the movies themselves
              Fear Dot Com wasn't Japanese?!?! Its on DirecTV PPV right now, it came out in 2002... I havent watched it yet.. it looks dumb as hell... is it worth watching? I heard THE RING was really good and really scary.

Comment

the ring was so stupiud we laugh through the whole thing
                U ONLY WISH U WERE ME

Comment

mmmm Sadako is a cutey. Nothing bad could ever happen with her, she's not evil!

OMG
                  I'm not so bad... Once you get to know me.

Comment

Originally posted by Thwark

mmmm Sadako is a cutey. Nothing bad could ever happen with her, she's not evil!

OMG
                    ROFL!!!

Nice armprints on her bum!

Comment

I'm a veteran horror movie watcher, and I expected The Ring to be the usual amusing and perhaps vaguely entertaining schlock 'something's killing us, what do we do' flick. Instead, I was scared shitless at times, and it was damn good
                      {CTG} Softy Guildmaster
                      Contact details updated
                      I want more than 255 characters in this sig dammit!

Comment

Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
                        JM

Comment

I have to say The Ring is probably one of the scariest movies I have seen in a long time. Scared the hell out of me and my friends, and its especially fun to set some ones tv to turn on to a channel with no reception after they have seen the movie.

Comment

I did see the movie, but I never really got freaked out by it. Probably due to the fact that we kept doing small comments and there was that girlie-cousin shouting out "OOOHH!!" and "AAAAHH!!" when some things happened. My other cousin told me it was more freaky on a cinema screen because of the sound and all that...

So IMO, that movie was "boff".
                            JM

Comment

The Ring =

Just finished watching it, and the plot really sounds/reads stupid: until you watch it.

NIN Closer (music video) + Sixth Sense + Stir of Echoes = The Ring
                              No Linux, No Choice.
                              Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X