This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my hard drive dead?

My main hd, on which I have windows and most programs, stopped responding yesterday while playing a TuT game.

At first I thought it was the video card so I checked and it seemed fine. I cleaned the motherboard, rebooted and... the drive does not start spinning. All I get is a "tik tik tik".

Windows XP and software, I can always re-install, but I had some very important documents (e.g. homework and files for my job) on it.

So my questions is in two parts: 1) is the hd dead? 2) can I get my files back?

Even if it's not possible, I will probably be back on the TuT servers in no time, as I have another hd, and a laptop.

Any help is welcome!
    Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.

In my technical opinion as a technical technician , it sounds to me like you're the proud owner of your very own 3.5" paperwieght. Sorry dude.
    ..it's safer here.

Comment

I got the disk to work again!

Here's what I did:

1) Take a perfectly good disk of the same model.
      2) Put it in the freezer.
      3) Tell the broken disk "See what I've done to your cousin Vinnie? Want this to happen to you?"
      4) Disk repaired!
      Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.

Comment

Wow way to invalidate my technical technocity. You may have gained a working broken hard disk, but you've lost a non sitting in the corner crying person man.. thing. Still though you might wanna backup all that important data just in case.
        ..it's safer here.

Comment

Yeah, as you probably understood I put the *broken* disk in the freezer for a couple of hours, then got about 10 minutes of life, that I used to backup important data to the working disk.

It was only an old 80 gig anyway... and 200G disks are really cheap these days.

Comment

Nice idea, I have a disk I can try that with, it has the same issue.
            ~TuF~

Comment

The freezer trick does not work anymore

I'll have to pay some guy 60$ to get the rest of the data back...

Comment

How did you come to the conclusion that putting it in the freezer would help anyway??

Desperation?
                -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
                - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
                - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
                -YT

Comment

You know, my friend's HD just fried. Finally he bought an old 98 OS disk, then updated it to XP with my brother-in-law's disk. Way to have resources aye? Too bad he lost all of his data. Maybe I'll try that freezer thingy...
                  Insane
                  Curious?

Comment

Originally posted by FixXxeR View Post
                    How did you come to the conclusion that putting it in the freezer would help anyway??

Desperation?
                    Saw it on the intarweb.

Comment

Its like filling the scratches on your cds with the juices from freshly baked beans, or burying memory in the ground on midsummers night.
                      ..it's safer here.

Comment

You can fill the scratches with toothpaste. Not sure about the midsummer night though.

Comment

Where do I get memory from? Tip my head sideways into a bucket?
                          ~TuF~

Comment

Originally posted by Baz View Post
                            Its like filling the scratches on your cds with the juices from freshly baked beans, or burying memory in the ground on midsummers night.
                            Sounds like witchcraft t'me! SEE IF HE FLOATS!

...and pass me a glass of that dehydrated water please.
                            -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
                            - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
                            - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
                            -YT

Comment

Do not want.

Comment

Working...
                              X