Choosing teamspeak port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing teamspeak port

Basicly i'm buying a teamspeak server and the host has asked me to choose the port.
    Alien Swarm Map List

Solved.
    Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

Originally posted by Ki!ler-Mk1 View Post
      Solved.
      may i ask how? did you just pick a random port? or someone recomend one? just curious for future refrence
      [E.D.G]Keggie - All that is yours is allready mine
      Thievery - Hanse's, Market, Mutator List
      AlienSwarm2k4 - Nighide Research Facility
      Videos - YouTube

Comment

I went with a different provider that said it would be chosen for me unless one of the members couldnt get on in which case they'd be happy to change it to facilitate all connections.
        Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

Just so you know, the port you run it on is irrellevant, it changes absolutely nothing about it... routing issues tend only to occur on outbound transmission

It's like getting a custom registration plate... it doesnt make yoru car any different
          Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Comment

Originally posted by necros View Post
            Just so you know, the port you run it on is irrellevant, it changes absolutely nothing about it... routing issues tend only to occur on outbound transmission
            i did think that but wasnt sure

Originally posted by necros View Post
            It's like getting a custom registration plate... it doesnt make yoru car any different
            does >:|
            [E.D.G]Keggie - All that is yours is allready mine
            Thievery - Hanse's, Market, Mutator List
            AlienSwarm2k4 - Nighide Research Facility
            Videos - YouTube

Comment

In some places, the prices for a cerrtain custom licence plate can be very high, because it's a status thing.
              This is my cool sig.

Comment

It matters that you DONT use the important ones, like 21, 23, 25, 80, or 110...there are others that are dedicated. If you come across this issue again, you can simply look up what the ports are assgined (or not assigned) to by looking at this page, and seeing if your app is there, if not, picking just about anything over 1000 is safe. Don't worry too much about using someone elses port, unless you actually use their service.
                Kiech

Comment

They probably wanted you to pick a port because they run other Teamspeak server processes on the same machine. Which means that if they'd hand out the same port to everyone, everyone would join the same server. Which is why you get to pick your own port.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiech Bepho View Post
                    It matters that you DONT use the important ones, like 21, 23, 25, 80, or 110...there are others that are dedicated
                    Idk, i once hosted a JKA server on port 80...
                    Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Comment

It is actually handy to host non-web servers on port 80, so that people who are behind restrictive firewalls can access them (like some uni firewalls).
                      Immortius' Forge

Comment

As long as you know what you are doing. Otherwise, you risk shutting down your brower and email.
                        Kiech

Comment

Uh, you do? Hosting something on port 80 shouldn't effect connecting to other servers' port 80.
                          Immortius' Forge

Comment

I'm not really talking about only port 80, unless you happen to have a web page on your server. I am saying that you should understand how they work before you use any of the 'well known' ports for other services.
                            Kiech

Comment

Host your own Teamspeak, cheaper.
                              ~TuF~

Comment

Working...
                              X