Microphone Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microphone Purchase

Been thinking about getting a new Microphone for Teamspeak and Video calls. All I have at the moment is the omnidirectional one on my webcam.

Any suggestions on make/model? Headset or a desk standing one?

Everyone else sounds so clear on Teamspeak, and I think mine picks up a lot of background crackling type noise. Although I'm only going off what recordings in MSN Messenger sound like.
    Kept an xmas avatar for 3 year(s).

I've got the bog standard Logitech headset. Its about £20 and fits nicely and sounds crystal clear.

Nice 'n cheap and practical.

-TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
    - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
    - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
    -YT

Comment

Are there any mono earpieces that will clip on your ear and fit nicely under a pair of proper headphones?

I'm looking at USB headsets, but really don't want to lose the sound quality I'm getting from an amp and good pair of cans.

Comment

I've got some Medusa Headphones, they're great, some perks :

1) Very comfy
        2) Quality feel
        3) Don't hurt your head after prolonged gaming
        4) Vibrate option for basey explosions (VERY cool)
        5) Seperate amp included for linkage to external amp. I.E I have mine connected to the computer and my 5.1 surround so I can watch DVD's on the PC or switch to speakers at the press of a button on the amp they give you.
        6)Comes in a box with a ribbon. I kid you not.
        7)Comes with all the connecters / wires to get you linked up from your PC to Amp, to DVD player etc..
        8)4 speakers IN EACH EAR!!

I also have a Creative Soundblaster Audigy 4 pro if that matters.

Get on TS and just ask others what they have.
        ~TuF~

Comment

I'm with Fixxxer on this one (for once)... a simple cheap pair ($20) of logitech headset with mic works great.

I actually just broke my headset after about 3 years... i bought some $9 no-name brand from the store... Terrible.. The mic was the flexi-mic and after a day it just dangles .. and the overall sound is too quiet.

I was going to get another set of logitechs but instead I started thinking about wireless, as my gamepad always got tangled with my headphone wires.... which led me to look at bluetooth stereo headsets so that I could use it with my pc and my cell.

After much research, I found the Motorokr S9 headphones to be a decent overall buy. Reviews are mixed depending on the sites you look, but overall get a positive review, for a lightweight, out-of-the-way headset... and the cool thing is that the microphone is actually in the ear piece and picks up your voice via your ear canal

$65.00USD

I haven't got them yet,... they were on my "you-better-buy-this-for-me" part of my xmas list... but I'll let you know how they work when I get them.
          I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

Comment

Originally posted by Machine View Post
            6)Comes in a box with a ribbon. I kid you not.
            I am a sucker for overly pricey quality kit, thou do your ears get hot after say 4 hours of play? Thats always the problem I have with big headsets. But yeah, I like the look of that.

Originally posted by -KewlAzMe- View Post
            ...and the cool thing is that the microphone is actually in the ear piece and picks up your voice via your ear canal
            That does sound pretty cool in theory, I'll wait for you to test that one thou.

Thanks for the input everyone , I'll let you you know what I get, if I get.

Comment

Funny you should say that westy, the GF after a few hours of Team Fortess clapped her hands on my ears because they were bright red, and yes, they were toasty.

Didn't bother me though!

I did have a pair of Zalmans which whilst being awesome and giving me 5.1 sound hacks in TUT did give me a sore head (top centre of head) which these do not. So long as you don't mind red ear!
              ~TuF~

Comment

Be warned you must have the neck strength of a rhino and be immune to radiation to wear the Zalmans.

-YT

Comment

If you're looking into surround sound headsets+mic....

I used to have the Medusa headset Machine talked about and I am using the Zalman ZM-RS6F that Machine also referred to. But I have had difference experiences and recommend the Zalman.

The Medusa was very nice, initially. Very comfortable, good boom mic, great suround sound. But after I had them a couple months, they developed a strange popping noise, like machine gun fire, that would come and go randomly. I think it was just bad wiring or shielding. I think I read somewhere that wireless networks can occasionally interfere with them...I didn't have a wireless network, but maybe a nearby neighbor did. But the final straw was when I was unhooking the cables and the plug literally fell apart in my hand - little wires everywhere.

After that mess I got the Zalman's, which I have had for almost 2 years now. They are also very comfortable with great surround sound. The drawback of them is that the mic clips onto the wire and just dangles by your face. It works ok, but does tend to pick up more background noises than a boom mic would. It would still be huge improvement over your webcam mic though.

Machine apparently hasn't had the same issues I had with the Medusa set, so consider that. If the Medusa set worked correctly and didn't fall apart on me I would say it was better than Zalmans, but only because of the boom mic.

There are a couple other surround sound headsets out there if you are looking, but not many.

Edit: I don't agree with FixXxer at all...I think the medusa set was heavier than the Zalman's actually. I wear/wore both sets for long game sessions without issues. If your neck can't support them, then you have other physical problems that you should look into.

Edit #2: I did a quick search and here is a link to the discussion we had about headsets and 5.1 sound, but it is 2 years old.
                  Last edited by Ran-bot; 3rd Dec 2007, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Haha, yeah, I really need to invest in that spine before getting headphones
                    -YT

Comment

Well, we've always said Fixxxer was a spineless coward.... now there is some validity to that
                      I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

Comment

As funnier joke as that is, I can't help thinking that if I'm a spineless coward, what would that class you, cheater?
                        -YT

Comment

I can smell fail!! It's coming from number 11!

I think either the Zalmans or the Medusa will provide excellent quality sound, I took great care of both these headphones and apart from a slight tearing on the earpiece of the Zalmans they are entirely usable even being 3 years old. The Medusa headset is nearly a year old and has no crackling or wires falling apart, I can only imagine that Ran-Bot had a bad pair. :|
                          ~TuF~

Comment

Originally posted by Nachimir View Post
                            Are there any mono earpieces that will clip on your ear and fit nicely under a pair of proper headphones?
                            How about this for a crazy idea.

Although that one isn't a standard 3.5mm jack for the microphone unfortunatly.

I'm tempted myself and just modify the connection...

Edit: http://www.throat-mic.co.uk/stryker_pc.htm
                            Last edited by westy; 4th Dec 2007, 05:34 AM. Reason: Found PC Throat Mic

Comment

Sennheiser PC 161

I have this one:

http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/icm_s...sf/root/500582

it has a very good sound and fits without pain after hours.
                              59 Pounds on amazone.co.uk.
                              You can move the microphone away from your mouth when you dont need it.

I have tested lots of headphones/headsets before and this is the first one I can realy recommand.
                              www.alienswarm.de | [email protected]
                              http://steamcommunity.com/groups/alienswarmde

Comment

Working...
                              X