Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Massive performance loss after GFX card upgrade :S ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massive performance loss after GFX card upgrade :S ???

Hi, i just installed an nvidia 8800 gt 512mb card in my computer this week, and every grafic application(game) that i run has a decreased framerate (even crysis, although the new card support the medium features it still has a lower fps on low settings than the previous one).

The old card was a nvidia 7800 GT 256meg, system spec is:

AMD 4000+ overclocked(for over a year) too 2640mhz.
    2 gb ram.

Tomorrow after i finish crysis on delta i am putting the 7800 back in, does this mean i need a new pc?
    Alien Swarm Map List

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling your graphics drivers?
    Immortius' Forge

Comment

Yeah, I have. Many times.
      Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

Things that have fixed my cards slow performance in the past :

+ Reinstalling MoBo Drivers (especially after Nvidia -> ati switch)
        + Reconfiguring SmartGart (AGP only I think)
        + Ensuring all proper power connectors are wired into the new card. I have a specific power rail for my x1950
        + Reinstalling Windows

Hope you get it working!
        ~TuF~

Comment

Originally posted by Machine View Post
          + Reinstalling Windows XP

Hope you get it working!
          Fixed
          ..it's safer here.

Comment

what is the wattage of your power supply
            also known as mega ,On the internet, everyone can hear you scream - it's just that no-one cares.except moses{also been known to use rapidfire}was also here before fuzzy and moses

Comment

Maybe its just a bad card? Tho I would think that you'd probably see nothing at all with it. Still if you have at least 500w PSU you should be fine.
              I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

Comment

I've been told that its because my processor is too slow.

Anyway im going to take it out and shelve it.

Edit:

Ensuring all proper power connectors are wired into the new card.
                Actually i didnt use the connector out of the box, i just used the one that was into the 7800. i dont know enough about the inside to change things like that. Think maybe i got it upside down?
                Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

there are two connecters or one which requires two molex,a 500 watt power is not good enough minimium 600,also depends on what else you have in your pc power wise
                  Last edited by reemulmyu; 18th Dec 2007, 05:09 PM.
                  also known as mega ,On the internet, everyone can hear you scream - it's just that no-one cares.except moses{also been known to use rapidfire}was also here before fuzzy and moses

Comment

aha, maybe thats why my pc reezes with my ATI x-1950GT Super, and my 350W powersupply? :-/

Comment

Originally posted by )!(Uruk-Hai)!( View Post
                      aha, maybe thats why my pc reezes with my ATI x-1950GT Super, and my 350W powersupply? :-/
                      That would be a big fat yes. I have a 520W with a dedicated rail for the x1950.

I don't think you can get the connector "upside down" as they have have missing pins / cut edges that prevent it. I would certainly use the connector that came in the box for the new card as it may make a difference.
                      ~TuF~

Comment

well i have everything pluged in. Without it, pc doesnt start. And with this card i can play all games, what i cant with my old Nvidia 5300PCX 128 mb :/

Comment

Intermittent reboots or freezes are classic signs of :

+ Overheating.
                          + Insufficent PSU wattage.

By intermittent I mean, in any game / application at any time. If your machine runs fine hardly ever crashing (like mine) and your getting crashes in a particular game / application then it's obviously that software causing the issue.

If your freezes happen regardless of software then I think you should investigate the 2 points above.
                          ~TuF~

Comment

yes freezes even i just surf in i-net, not allwas by gaming. Oh man, i should re-read manual again. 450w requiment, and mine is 350w. And my ati card was 55-56°C warm mostly. Btw is CPU temperature 55-56°C ok when i look at it after some gaming? (no overclocking, aircooler).
                            Last edited by )!(Uruk-Hai)!(; 19th Dec 2007, 06:12 AM.

Comment

My CPU / GFX max out at around 50-60 degrees C. Currently they struggle to get above 30 degrees C with it being winter 'n all, so I would say your comp isn't overheating.

Looks like you need that new PSU.
                              ~TuF~

Comment

Working...
                              X