Dual core vs quad core gaming.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual core vs quad core gaming.

Intel Core 2 Quad, Q6600, Kentsfield Core, S775, 2.40 GHz, 1066MHz, 8MB Cache, 9x Multiplier

Intel Core 2 Duo, E8500, Wolfdale Core, S775, 3.16 GHz, 1333MHz, 6MB Cache, 9.5x Multiplier
    I am currently considering 2 processors for my next computer, and i was wondering if anyone has any opinions or information about which of the above is the best buy(both cost the same).

Even if its just links to information about their comparitable performance.

Edit feel free to link other cpus too

ATM i mainly play wow, i am going to run 8800GT 512 in the new pc for at least a year.

Note: It is only the cpu that is undecided, subsequent mobo/ram is irrelevant.

Update:
    I have just placed an order for this pc:
    Intel i7 920, Socket 1366 (B), Nehalem, 2.66GHz, Cache 8MB, Retail
    Asus P6T Deluxe, Sok 1366, DDR3
    3GB (3x1GB) Corsair XMS3 DDR3, PC3-12800 (1600), 240 Pin, CAS 9-9-9-24
    2*500 GB Samsung 7200 rpm, 16MB cache
    After the cost of small other things like floppy, dvd drive, £30 case(for old pc) price came too £850 - No os, psu or gfx, as i already have these (£250+ XP)
    Last edited by Ki!ler-Mk1; 3rd Feb 2009, 06:48 AM.
    Alien Swarm Map List

Give this a look, maybe.

If the data is to be believed, the Dual-Core handles video games better, but the Quad-Core handles miscellaneous Windows applications better.

As perhaps you've heard, games don't benefit greatly from multiple cores unless they're designed that way. Having 4 weaker cores ends up being wasted.

Comment

What that guy said.

Also The Steam Hardware Survey shows you that adoption is slow from single to dual core systems and people aren't going to waste development time on multi-core support when nearly 50% of end users can't use it. Unless you want to show off or you have a specific need go for something somewhere between mid and top end of that survey and it will be absolutely fine for any gaming needs.
      One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
      -
      The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

It's also worth considering that q6600 GO/slacr version can be quite easily overclocked if there's a need for it in the future. Pushing it up to 3ghz ain't a problem with a decent cooling unit.

For games it really doesn't pay off to have more cores at the moment, probably will change in a few years but by that time the current options will be old i'm afraid

Comment

Originally posted by Hybrid View Post

If the data is to be believed, the Dual-Core handles video games better, but the Quad-Core handles miscellaneous Windows applications better.

As perhaps you've heard, games don't benefit greatly from multiple cores unless they're designed that way. Having 4 weaker cores ends up being wasted.
          This is infact the asumption i made(and the reason for starting this thread), and i am glad you brought it up because i was having trouble phrasing it. I shall certainly look that over in more detail than i am now in the morning. On that list, the quad core seemed to win quite a few, but dual core clearly was superior on the games.

I cut "SLACR - GO - " off the front off the Q6600 cpu description, i didnt know it was relevent.

Its worth noting that when i posted the thread i was leaning on dual core unless you guys talked me out of it
          Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

I'm buying one of those newfangled I7 quads later this week to make my penis look bigger, I'll let y'all know the inchetude when said event occurs.
            ..it's safer here.

Comment

nice one baz
              also known as mega ,On the internet, everyone can hear you scream - it's just that no-one cares.except moses{also been known to use rapidfire}was also here before fuzzy and moses

Comment

Yeah, nice one Baz, googling "inchetude" brings up this thread now as the top result. NEW WORD!
                ~TuF~

Comment

\0/
                  ..it's safer here.

Comment

good job, we were here at the birth of a new word.

Btw, my inchetude > your inchetude no matter how many cores you have.

Comment

Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 S775 3.33GHz 6MB 1333FSB
                      Looking at this one instead which costs £35 more then the other 2, atm i am leaning on dual core.

After some deliberation, i have settled on this cpu (£185), prob wont get it for a little while though.
                      Last edited by Ki!ler-Mk1; 23rd Dec 2008, 03:51 PM.
                      Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

6MB!! I didn't see that before, is that L1 or L2?
                        One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
                        -
                        The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

Go for the dual. Less heat, less power consumption. Plus those quad score well on benchmark such as 3Dmark, but in real life, mostly no games will use over 2 core.

If your about to OC, choose well or your could be disappointed. G0 stepping ftw!
                          My AS2K4 map: Sulfure-SE
                          And a fixed one: BehemothTournament-TE2

Comment

Originally posted by Chainsaws View Post
                            6MB!! I didn't see that before, is that L1 or L2?
                            I would assume thats L2?

Well tbh, im only gona buy a cpu fan(using thermaltake blue orb atm, probably buy something simular), so Oc is probably out of the question, now just to talk myself into the 300gb 10krpm drive and its just a question of when not what*

*fuck the mobo

If your about to OC, choose well or your could be disappointed. G0 stepping ftw!
                            I think thats the core 2 quads only.
                            Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

Originally posted by Ki!ler-Mk1 View Post
                              I think thats the core 2 quads only.
                              Nop

My AS2K4 map: Sulfure-SE
                              And a fixed one: BehemothTournament-TE2

Comment

Working...
                              X