No announcement yet.

Dual core vs quad core gaming.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ghost of a fanon lesbian, actually; there's a difference.

^ ω ^
    Last edited by Moses2k; 22nd Jan 2009, 08:12 PM. Reason: I admit this doesn't have much to do with the perennial '2v4 core' debate, however.

Comment

hmmm, well Ghostly is thinking about upgrading finally. its been almost 5 years and I guess this old single core cpu just isn't racking up the epenis points anymore.
      Seeing as how I don't upgrade very often, I'm thinking about
      a quad core cpu. Now I know the i7 is all the penile envy and all that but it seems way too expensive.
      I have looked at the offerings intel has to offer, and while they
      look nice and all I really can't see paying the premium price.
      especially since they just laid off 5,000 workers in this crappy economy. I think competition is good and want to see AMD survive. So...I'm looking at the quad core Phenom II, 3 ghz

this one:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103471

What do you all think?

Comment

IMHO Intel always have the best cpus and AMD always give you the best value. If you want an epenis get Intel (and a small bank loan to pay for it), if you want a good CPU get AMD. The big seller for me last time I upgraded was the promise that I would be able to upgrade from my current Dual Core AMD to the next two AMD processor types without changing my motherboard.
        One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
        -
        The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

Yeah, that was kind of what I was thinking. I think epenis is overrated anyway. I notice Baz never came back to tell us of his new inchetude after getting the i7 processor. Maybe he's
          embarrassed his epenis is still tiny. LOL

Edit: see what I did there? I put epenis and inchetude in the same post. LOL

Comment

I'll have you know my inchetude is nothing short of epic, but its depreciating rapidly.
            As for the AMD 940, it's more expensive than the equivalent Intel q9xxx, but the board and ddr2 ram will probably be cheaper.

throw one of these in and you couldn't really go wrong (unless modern games aren't your thing)

Let it be known, GTA4 still runs poorly on my EPEEN
            ..it's safer here.

Comment

Originally posted by Baz View Post
              I'll have you know my inchetude is nothing short of epic, but its depreciating rapidly.
              As for the AMD 940, it's more expensive than the equivalent Intel q9xxx, but the board and ddr2 ram will probably be cheaper.

throw one of these in and you couldn't really go wrong (unless modern games aren't your thing)

Let it be known, GTA4 still runs poorly on my EPEEN
              Umm, No its not more expensive. The 940 is $235 on newegg.
              A 3.0 ghz quad core.
              I put in 3.0 ghz and higher and quad core for intel and it has 4 offering 3 of which are over $1,000 and there is one which is $333. then factor in board and ram an its considerably more expensive. Are the Intels really that much better I guess is the question. Wouldn't a AMD 3.0 ghz quad core and a very good video card be nearly as good? For considerably less?

I'm glad your inchetude is epic, but if it is depreciating rapidly doesn't that mean its getting shorter?
              Black cat Games * The only place on the internet people are talking about inchetude.

Comment

Baz makes a very good point about the GFX card. I have an X2 AMD that is under 2.0 GHz (1.6-1.8 ish I think) and 3GB of RAM on Vista x64 Ultimate and the bottleneck on my system is the Radeon x1900 Pro, as usual the only time I notice a slowdown because of the cpu is when running a game with a lot of AI, mostly RTS games, or zipping/unzipping files.

I'm probably due a cpu upgrade soon, when I looked a couple of months ago my current one was near the bottom of the price pile which drops off at ~£35(~$47). I'll get a better one when it costs next to nothing as I know the part I really need to replace next is the graphics card. Saying that, there isn't much that doesn't run well still so I'll likely wait until I can get a better card than this one for around £50, even if it's another twelve months away there aren't many games I won't be able to play with good detail levels.
                Last edited by Chainsaws; 26th Jan 2009, 03:40 AM. Reason: I carnt speel are tighpe propper.
                One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
                -
                The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

well, perhaps I wasn't clear. While I can't see throwing away
                  $1000 dollars on a intel cpu which will prob be outdated a month
                  from now, I have no prob with buying a good video card.
                  I am not a radeon fan, I like Nvidia, have always owned them
                  so don't try to convince me otherwise. That said, money won't be
                  a real issue with this PC build. But I like to spend money wisely, wisely isn't an overpriced cpu when I can get one that to me looks just as fast, has as many cores etc. Its still top of the line.
                  The video card I'm thinking about,(haven't decided)
                  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130439

The thing thats stumping me so far and can't make up my mind is the case. I like this one
                  HP Blackbird 002 Chassis / Case ONLY! - eBay (item 110340826570 end time Jan-27-09 19:20:38 PST)
                  But I don't like using ebay, and 2. Again, its way too expensive.
                  Thought about the coolermaster cosmos also or silverstone Raven?
                  Any suggestions? I want a large case, usb,audio jacks on the front somewhere. toolless as much as possible and looks nice
                  not too flashy but not boring. well built.

Comment

still not seeing much out there that even maxes out the 8800GTX...I'd advise not to blow the wad on a card that's overly future proof considering the price.

However you might have a good choice in chip.... As recent news shows the Phenom OC'd to 6.5Ghz (tho the usual liquid nitro is in the equation)
                    I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

Comment

Originally posted by -KewlAzMe- View Post
                      still not seeing much out there that even maxes out the 8800GTX...I'd advise not to blow the wad on a card that's overly future proof considering the price.

However you might have a good choice in chip.... As recent news shows the Phenom OC'd to 6.5Ghz (tho the usual liquid nitro is in the equation)
                      yeah, you might be right about the video card. It is expensive
                      and probably not much out there that would even require such a card.
                      I actually have a geforce 8800gt that I'm running now and could just throw that in there. I think the cpu is whats holding me back right now. But I'll probably get me a new one. Just not sure what yet. Only just now doing my research. Haven't kept
                      up recently.

One review site overclocked the Phenom 940 to 3.7 ghz on air
                      alone so I think thats a very good chip in the price to performance ratio.
                      http://www.overclockersclub.com/revi...omii940/18.htm
                      Last edited by Ghostly apparition; 27th Jan 2009, 02:45 AM.

Comment

Update!
                        Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

Working...
                        X