Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Camera live feed as vista background?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Camera live feed as vista background?

well i have a webcam mounted to my laptop permanently and it can be flipped so that it views whats behind the monitor.
    Its always turned off but i thaught since i got this gadget permanently mounted why dont use it.

i was wondering was there a way on Vista to set the live feed from the camera as the backfround wallpaper. also i would need the image from the camera to be flipped horisontaly before its put as desctop wallpaper so it wont show whats behind the monitor upside down.

I seen some instructions on how to do it on Ubuntu linux or how to make a internet webcam feed from some pictures places on earth your live wallpaper but it isnt exactly what i want as im interested in my own camera feed not some live niagara watterfall feed i couldnt possibly give less shit about.

I was wondering is it all possible, hopefully with some easy setup.
    www.damarus.deviantart.com

Apparently VLC media player will display a video feed as your background. I remember doing this with one video player but I don't have VLC handy to test it. There is a portable version of VLC floating about, possibly at www.portableapps.com . If you can get it to connect to your webcam or install some webcam software that broadcasts a feed that should work. You could probably get it to run at startup with some command line jiggery-pokery.
    One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
    -
    The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

I got this working in theory but not in practicaly...

i use NSV tools to stream a nsv vile on my drive, teoreticaly the file should be able to be played back in vlc player. also it should be able to play the file upside down and play it as wallpaper too. the problem is that when i try to open the .nsv file in the vlc player it doesnt work! wtf? that program was recomended as a nsv player in so manny pages why doesnt it play it back or even list it in played back formats?

Comment

VLC->Media->Open Capture Device->Card Selection->Select Camera->Configure->Advanced->Mirror Vertical->OK->Play->Video->DirectX Wallpaper

You may find that physically looking away from the screen gives you a better view of the real world, without the clutter of all those icons. You can do this by following the steps below:

1.Look away from the screen.
        2.Bask in the glory of a job well done.

If you need further assistance on the real world try wikipedia!
        ..it's safer here.

Comment

1. Take a screenshot of whatever is behind your open laptop. (Recommended: A wall or similar non-animate terrain)
          2. Set the picture as wallpaper.
          3. Don't move your laptop.

Mission accomplished! Nobody will know the difference.
          My cats are black! How about yours?

Comment

Or set it to update every x seconds.
            ~TuF~

Comment

You probably can't open the file because it's locked for writing. You'd need webcam software with a built in webserver that streams the video to a player and connect to that ('localhost' would be the server address to use)
              -

Comment

You can read a file that's being written to Chains. Write and exclusive write are different at a programming level, it's when you get 2 things wanting to write at the same time you need semaphores or a central controller (like a server).
                ~TuF~

Comment

Windows has the ability to lock a file to a process and only that process, regardless of I/O. I don't see it (ab)used often but it's possible. More than likely in this case the headers are incomplete on the video file and the filetype isn't one that can be read if incomplete.
                  -

Comment

well it ALMOST works the way baz described it except that the capture stops after 2-3 seconds from start and i have still image as my background. weird...

Comment

This is a cool orginal idea. =)
                      I dunno how it'd work efficiently though, since laptop resolutions are a much bigger resolution (and in widescreen) than what the camera usually records.

Comment

Nothing an anamorphic lens and a bit of gpu based filtering won't solve
                        ..it's safer here.

Comment

Working...
                        X