Hdd transplant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hdd transplant

Is it possible to take a HDD(windows xp) out of one computer and put it in another and be able to turn the second pc on without any extra requirements?

So, the drive would be the C drive in both computers.

I am asking because i ordered a copy of windows7, finally i shall experience dx10.
    Alien Swarm Map List

Sometimes. There will likely be activation bullshit, and it may not work at all. Consider uninstalling video drivers first, btw.

You can always just back up your C:\Docs and Sets\your name\* and install fresh.

Also, don't have a network cable plugged directly into a modem (assuming you don't have a router) while installing XP, because it's that insecure.

Comment

All depends on the SATA controllers on the motherboards.

If the motherboard on the computer your moving the HDD to has a SATA controller that needs a driver during the windows install; will just boot loop and not work.

You should be okay if

1. It's an IDE drive,
      2. You can enable IDE/Legacy the other PC's motherboard.
      3. It's a SATA controller that doesn't need a driver.

You will then just have to install the proper drivers for the other devices.

Edit: Oh yeah, Activation, I'm so used to the Volume Licensed Edition of XP
      Kept an xmas avatar for 3 year(s).

Comment

It's pretty much just a matter of connecting the wires, though you have to set the 2nd one to slave drive.
        Turn off the power first when starting

Edit: nvm, thought you just wanted to plug in an extra one

Comment

I've done it before but would suggest re-installation.

Windows crapped it's pants when I first turned it on, but a couple of reboots later it had sorted itself out.

Unless you plan on a full format soon, just go for it now.
          ~TuF~

Comment

Safer to backup your importants etc from your C: to another drive/ external driver/ CD/ pen whatever and format the drive and re-install.

If yer gonna cut corners, it'll catch you out in the end.
            -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
            - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
            - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
            -YT

Comment

Originally posted by FixXxeR View Post
              If yer gonna cut corners, it'll catch you out in the end.
              Thanks for the responses.

Atm i have 5 hdd, 2 250gb from my old pc's mirror(xp)(one is shelved the other is my current F drive. 2 500gb in a mirror with this install of XP(different computer). and 1 500 with vista/linux in the old pc, since installing vista i have not turned that pc on.

Since i preordered windows7 i was planning to leave my current F drive, and turn my C drive into a G drive, and take the 500 from the other pc and reformat and install windows7, and then put what is my c drive now, into the other pc.

What i will actually do is to just backup what i need from the C drive (external 1T+registry) and reformat, remirror, install windows7.

That should be adequate.
              Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

Working...
              X