No announcement yet.

Setting Up A Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carpe, are you looking at setting up a dedicated server, or just a temporary listen server? The former is more involved, the latter is really very simple.

The default ports that ThieveryUT will use (the same for UT) are 7777-7782, plus port 27900 if you want your server advertised (so that it shows in the game's server browser) and port 80 for webadmin, if you want that enabled.

Check your router's documentation for information on setting trigger ports.

Comment

Carpe, are you looking at setting up a dedicated server, or just a temporary listen server?
      Either. The a temporary listen server would suffice. If I can manage a short-term dedicated server then why not allow others to join in? Or perhaps I am completely misunderstanding the difference?

The default ports that ThieveryUT will use (the same for UT) are 7777-7782, plus port 27900 if you want your server advertised (so that it shows in the game's server browser) and port 80 for webadmin, if you want that enabled.

Check your router's documentation for information on setting trigger ports.
      I can send an e-mail to my router's company asking for help, but there are no generic rules for which trigger port corresponds to which open ports.

If I understand this correctly, when a game wants to go through an open port it makes this request by first approaching the trigger port. For example, I know that for Age of Kings: The Conquerors I must set:

28800 (UDP) as a trigger port for 2300-2400, 47624 (TCP)
      28800 (UDP) as a trigger port for 2300-2400, 47624 (UDP)
      47624 (TCP) as a trigger port for 2300-2400 (TCP)
      47624 (TCP) as a trigger port for 2300-2400 (UDP)
      6667 (TCP) as a trigger port for 28800-29000 (TCP)

So the identity of trigger ports is game-specific, not something the router documentation would know.

I assume this makes my router's firewall much more secure, but it sure is a pain.

Comment

I found something...

(this quote is from http://www2.farbot.com:81/linux/firewall_games.php)

DirectX DirectPlay ports

Many games use the DirectPlay feature of DirectX to play on the internet. The games below that require these ports to be forwarded will say so.

TCP port 47624, TCP port 6073, and both TCP and UDP for ports 2300 to 2400 must be forwarded.

Unreal Tournament

UDP ports 7777 to 7779 are required, with additional ports after that (e.g. 7780+) are needed for people to join into the game, with more ports needed for more players. Port 27900 must also be added for server query if master uplink is enabled on the server. I forward up to 7799 to support lots more players in the server. I also forward port 27500. Other experimentation shows that some firewalls need a "trigger port" to be set to UDP 7777. I do not know if these ports show the server on Gamespy.
        Combining that with what I already know, it appears I should set:
        6073 (TCP) as a trigger port for 2300-2400, 47624 (TCP)
        6073 (TCP) as a trigger port for 2300-2400, 47624 (UDP)
        47624 (TCP) as a trigger port for 2300-2400, 47624 (TCP)
        47624 (TCP) as a trigger port for 2300-2400, 47624 (UDP)
        7777 (UDP) as a trigger port for 7777 to 7799 (UDP)

And if I knew what Master Server Uplink was I might care about:
        27900 (UDP) as a trigger port for 27900-29000 (UDP)
        (UDP vs. TCP for this port was taken from another web page)

And maybe keep open:
        28800 (UDP) as a trigger port for 2300-2400, 47624 (TCP)
        28800 (UDP) as a trigger port for 2300-2400, 47624 (UDP)
        6667 (TCP) as a trigger port for 27900-29000 (TCP)

since I have them open anyway for another game.

----------------

So... where's that "getting started hosting a game" document that Biohazard mentioned?

Comment

Hm. Even with all that, my game is still not "out there". It has LAN functionality, but a friend cannot join by IP. :cry:

Any other ideas?

Comment

The ONLY ports you need for UT/Thievery servers are:

TCP port 80 -------------------- Remote Web Admin (must be enabled in ThAux.ini)

UDP port 27900 ---------------- Master Server Advertising ("DoUplink=true" in ThAux.ini)

UDP port 7777 to 7782 --------- Server Query Ports

All of the other ports you mentioned are unnecessary. The only time these ports change is when YOU change them in ThAux.ini (Thievery server) or UnrealTournament.ini (UT server).

I can't help you get Port Triggering working, but the SMC router's help pages should help. One other reason it isn't working is if you have a firewall running on your host, in which case you either need to open the correct ports or disable it completely. Finally, I have heard that some ISPs will not forward certain ports to prevent games servers from their clients.

One final note: You need to add the external IP address to the [UWeb.WebServer] section of your ThAux.ini. See this page for details.
            No Linux, No Choice.
            Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

Carpe, do you have your router set to forward those ports to the machine the server is running on?

Comment

My router cannot "forward" ports. It can only "open" them.

Comment

Originally posted by Carpe Noctum
                  How does it tell which machine on your network to route an incoming signal to then?

Comment

Then it's a MODEM, not a router.

You'll have to get yourself a router which can be used behind the modem (the modem will be the gateway, and the router will hand out local IP's.)

Or you can connect the LAN through a PC, and into the modem. The PC must then be used for port-forwarding and DHCP etc.

Also, either:

line --> modem --> router (nat) --> PC's (server whatever)
                    or:
                    line --> modem --> PC (used as a router) --> PC's

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                      How does it tell which machine on your network to route an incoming signal to then?
                      Port Triggering is what it is called, and is a new and improved (more secure) way of forwarding ports. The ports stay closed until any one of the LAN comps requests the ports, which the router then opens for that comp only.

EDIT:

SMC forums hosted by DSLReports.
                      SMC FAQs.
                      Trigger Port and Out Port endless loop.
                      No Linux, No Choice.
                      Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

Aha, thanks for that one LM.

Never heard of it. Damn . . .

Comment

Working...
                        X