TUT Crashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TUT Crashes

Thievery was giving me BSODs, or quick TUT crashes. I'd get the demo just fine, but when I start a new solo game, it would flip to Windows and I'd get the error dialog. Same would happen when I open the network tab. I could SEE everyone in all the servrers, but as soon as I try joining, I would crash.

I tried changing from Direct3D to OpenGL, which has worked in the past but now is giving me BSODs. Sometimes Direct3D gives me a BSOD. I tried deleting all the ini files (after backing them up), that didn't work. I tried reinstalling 1.3, that didn't work. UT works fine. Maybe I should just delete everything TUT and start with 1.0. Does TUT have an uninstaller? Never actually uninstalled the game :lol:

I have had these problems for many months. It's been getting worse. I'd start a game, enter a network game, whatever, and TUT would crash on me and consistently keep crashing on me every time I start TUT again and retry. The only way (previously) I found to get rid of this is to start up in UT safe mode (defaults checked), start a solo game, exit TUT, enter TUT normally, and then it works. I have to start a solo game in safe mode, just entering TUT doesn't do it. Extremely annoying, to say the least. Now, that doesn't work.

On error messages, sorry, I didn't read them too thoroughly or get screenies (at work right now). I seem to remember it saying something about a pointer error, though. I'll post a screenie tonight.

I have a GeForce4 ti4600, Asus A7V mobo, AMD 1GHz Thunderbird, WinXP Pro.
    "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Try a re-install again. Thievery does not have an uninstaller.

Pointer sounds like mouse. :|

Comment

Pointer to me sounds like an internal memory problem (I'm a programmer).

Should I just install over top of what I have or should I delete as much as I can first? (All of the th-* folders and all of the th*.* files from system?)

Comment

I think you should install UT 436 patch, then install thievery 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3. No need to delete anything
        It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

Ok. I reinstalled 1.0, 1.2, and 1.3. All worked very smoothly afterwards. I played about a dozen games. However, after one game was finished and another started loading, TUT crashed on me again for no special reason! Now, every time I restart and try to start a game (locally or on the net), I instantly crash and get this same error! No change in numbers or words:

I'm trying booting in safe mode (defaults checked), playing a solo game, works fine, exiting, then running normally, and I get the error again. My little trick doesn't work anymore.

Can anyone deciper that error message and suggest something for me to do? I don't want to reinstall TUT every 12 games! Hmm, would keeping a clean copy of my ini files work? I mean, like, if I reinstall TUT again, config my settings, then make a copy of them, would replacing the ini files fix this error?

Comment

Have you tried XP's "compatibility mode"?

Updated Video Card drivers?

Updated Mouse drivers?

Updated Motherboard drivers?

Have you closed all other apps?

It is possible that you have a corrupted download and no amount of reinstalling will help. Download 1.0, 1.2, and 1.3 again ...
            No Linux, No Choice.
            Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

Beware of updating to DirectX 9.0. I have had several friend who have had terrible problems with it. If anyone else has had problems or any comments on DX 9.0, I'd like to hear them. I haven't updated yet because I fear that it may b0rk my comp like it as others.
              Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
              "Dream is Destiny"
              Waking Life

Comment

Originally posted by Curunir
                Beware of updating to DirectX 9.0. I have had several friend who have had terrible problems with it. If anyone else has had problems or any comments on DX 9.0, I'd like to hear them. I haven't updated yet because I fear that it may b0rk my comp like it as others.
                well it messed up my computer...because of course i didn't realize that only certain cards are DirectX 9.0 compatible....reinstalling drivers anyone?......so i am staying away from it until i get a new card

Comment

Hi. I noticed, in the picture you provided, that you are using something like Windowblinds to decorate your windows.

This crashed a lot of games for me, and I was wondering if you should try adding ThieveryUT to your list of excluded programs, and seeing if this makes a difference? :?

Comment

Originally posted by WorLord
                    Hi. I noticed, in the picture you provided, that you are using something like Windowblinds to decorate your windows.

This crashed a lot of games for me, and I was wondering if you should try adding ThieveryUT to your list of excluded programs, and seeing if this makes a difference? :?

And just exactly how would you go about doing that? A detailed explanation would be MUCH appreciated.
                    Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
                    "Dream is Destiny"
                    Waking Life

Comment

Originally posted by WorLord

That may be just a Winxp theme...hmm

Comment

Yeah, that's just WinXP. All I did was replace a DLL that unlocked the themes. Not using WindowBlinds or StyleXP, or any other program. I know, I used them in the past and they do make the system unstable. (Although you could argue that Microsoft didn't unlock themes for XP because they thought their skinning code was still buggy.)

Still, it's worth a shot. I'm getting desparate. Still can't run TUT. Thanks!

If anyone has any more ideas, post 'em here. I'd like to read what anyone with the UT engine has to say about that error message, because I think I can probably pinpoint that error and correct if only I could understand it.

Comment

I wasn't going to answer, because I no longer use WindowBlinds, and couldn't accurately tell you how to add UT to your exclusion list. However, since you're not using WB, this is relatively straightforward.

Right-Click your TUT shortcut, and do a properties.

Click on the "Compatability" tab (third one).

Check the box that says "disable visual themes". You could also try running it in Win98/ME compatability mode, and see if this helps.

Comment

I use win2000 and DirectX 9 works fine. No problems so far.

Good ol' Geforce 2. *pats comp. case*

Comment

Working...
                            X