how do I increase gamma/brightness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do I increase gamma/brightness?

my monitor isn't all that good anymore and even when the brightness on the monitor and in UT are both maxed thievery is still extremely dark. So dark I can't really play except in the lightest area of some maps.

Is there some way I can increase the brightness even more so I can play?

ever tried the preferences?

TAFFER!

http://profiles.myspace.com/users/7360475
    -=:ToB:=- / :]eDe[: Site: www.endarkend.net
    -=:ToB:=-Forums: www.endarkend.net/phpbb/
    -=:ToB:=-PayingSins (TUT MAP)- http://www.endarkend.net/downloads/m...oB_Payback.zip

Comment

Try F11 in game. Get the latest Direct3D and OpenGL renderers if you still need help.

I just found some more OpenGL drivers, and will check them out. They aren't official releases, but are from one of the Epic developers. Check them out here if you wish.
      No Linux, No Choice.
      Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

moving to Tech help forum.
        I'm not so bad... Once you get to know me.

Comment

Originally posted by LeatherMan
          Try F11 in game. Get the latest Direct3D and OpenGL renderers if you still need help.

I just found some more OpenGL drivers, and will check them out. They aren't official releases, but are from one of the Epic developers. Check them out here if you wish.
          i got ti and it still lags bad for me LM...is there a new version out..i wanna run in GL so i can map and play the map at teh same time...making life a lot easier
          -=:ToB:=-PayingSins (TUT MAP)- http://www.endarkend.net/downloads/m...oB_Payback.zip

Comment

Originally posted by DarkProject
            i got ti and it still lags bad for me LM...is there a new version out..i wanna run in GL so i can map and play the map at teh same time...making life a lot easier
            Those in the link above are the latest (dated this month). I tried these drivers and don't like them. It gave me large dark boxes on the right side of my screen for the in-game messages. Otherwise they were OK. I will continue to use the official drivers dated 09-06-02.

If your game still lags in OpenGL then you may just need to upgrade your graphics card (Nvidia cards are best for OpenGL) or turn your graphics settings down. What are you using now?
            No Linux, No Choice.
            Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

Those in the link above are the latest (dated this month). I tried these drivers and don't like them. It gave me large dark boxes on the right side of my screen for the in-game messages. Otherwise they were OK. I will continue to use the official drivers dated 09-06-02.

If your game still lags in OpenGL then you may just need to upgrade your graphics card (Nvidia cards are best for OpenGL) or turn your graphics settings down. What are you using now?
              i am on Nvidia rita tnt2 model 64. last time i tried opengl was about a bit over a month ago or 2...right about the time the shadow guild forums opened up cause that's were i saw a thread about the new opengl driver. what is the date of the latest opengl driver...maybe they got another update?....and are there any other drivers that are "compatible" with minimizing and maximizing and stuff...????? :?

Comment

i am on Nvidia rita tnt2 model 64. last time i tried opengl was about a bit over a month ago or 2...right about the time the shadow guild forums opened up cause that's were i saw a thread about the new opengl driver. what is the date of the latest opengl driver...maybe they got another update?....and are there any other drivers that are "compatible" with minimizing and maximizing and stuff...????? :?
                You need a new card ... seriously. The new FX 5200's are available now for less than $100 online, and the GF4 MX cards are available for less than $50 (get the DDR version). Even the GF3 Ti200's and ATI Radeon 8500's are sub $100 now. Check out Pricewatch for prices (I highly recommend NewEgg, but there may slightly better prices elsewhere).

The latest unofficial driver is dated 04-27-03 (and is the one I mentioned above that I didn't like). The latest official driver is dated 09-06-02 (see first post for link).

As for minimizing and maximizing, OpenGL is the best (to prevent crashes). You can try the latest official Direct3D drivers to see if they will work (see first post).
                No Linux, No Choice.
                Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

my card is fine for now...i run at 1000X1000 something resolution with everything on high and i can do all maps with no slowdown until i get on teh roofs of DE. i wanna save up and get ATI Radeon 9800 unless you think an nvidia might be better?

Comment

I LOATHE those drivers. They make the image far darker than it should be, and I'm lucky to get 15 fps using them, and the animation is jerky. It's like watching a scene under a strobelight.

Perhaps the problem here isn't one of videocard or drivers, though. If it's an old monitor, and isn't displaying anything as brightly as it used to, maybe it should just be replaced.

Comment

my card is fine for now...i run at 1000X1000 something resolution with everything on high and i can do all maps with no slowdown until i get on teh roofs of DE. i wanna save up and get ATI Radeon 9800 unless you think an nvidia might be better?
                      The Radeon 9800 is a great card, and if I had your money I might even get one. I don't see why you would wait to get this card, though, when there are plenty of other cards available which would give you ~75% of the performance with only 50% of the cost (or less). Hell, the 9700 Pro is ~$150 cheaper, and is only about 10-20% slower. :?

The cards I recommended are more than enough for UT, TUT, Thief 1, 2, and 3 (except for the GF4MX cards), and if you don't play many other games there really isn't any reason to get much more (just my $.02).

And yes, I think Nvidia is better (I know, ATI has the 2 fastest cards now, but their budget cards are pathetic and so is their history of bad/delayed drivers. I've even seen reports that the 9X00 series cards have some serious problems with games like Half-Life and Serious Sam. :?)
                      No Linux, No Choice.
                      Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

http://www.entechtaiwan.com/ps.htm

If you set hotkeys for Gamma, Brightness and Contrast you can fiddle with the brightness directly as you play, or save a setting to load when the game starts.

Comment

Hi Folks,

My video card is a V5-5500pci, current driver is AM2.0.

Is there any way to manually set brightness above 10; or increase ambient light? Whether I use 3dfxglide or Opengl, the screens just to dark to play enjoyably. It's as the original poster had said, I have to stay in the lighted area's as well.

Maxed out to right all the sliders in 3dfx hub(desktop, d3d, opengl. video overlay)About blinded me things were so bright. But, on going in TUT was still to dark except for d3d mode.

I tried different drivers for my card, originals(3dfx 1.04.01, 3dfx 1_07_1, x3dfx1_08_04 and now I'm back to using the new AmigaMerlin 2.0; which is a great driver).

Also tried the Epic opengl(from a link in one of the previous posts), and wickedgl (great driver as well, again not as bad, but still way to dark-great for Mohaa and SH though).

My monitor spec sheet show 60hz max for 1024x768; so thats what I have in the THAux.ini

Am downloading the AmigaMerlin 2.9 driver now(dx8.1 support); but doubt it will have a positive effect on this brightness thing.

If the AM 2.9 driver doesn't help, guess I'll have to settle for d3d mode(hurts on the "eye-candy"). Them fx 5600 ultra prices gotta come down sometime and I hope to get me one of them.

Set-up the THAux opengl section as per info from Voodoofiles.com for UT; didn't help any.

Any of you folks running a v5pci? Curious on how your screens are in this regard.

You all take care,

Jim B.

Aopen AK73Pro(A) mobo, Dx8.1, V5-5500pci (current driver AmigaMerlin 2.0), 384mb pc133sdram, win98se, AMD 1.44

Comment

I have a similer problem. I know how to rectify it also. Buy a new moniter. Easyer said than done....££££ :|
                            -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
                            - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
                            - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
                            -YT

Comment

I have another OpenGL driver that LR gave me, you need to make a few changes in thaux.ini but it's the best OpenGL driver I've ever used. I can mail it to you after I get off work and get home(I'd need your e-mail first, though).
                              Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

Working...
                              X