My Server Crashes When I try to Start It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Server Crashes When I try to Start It

Only on Thievery. I do not get any error messages, the only thing that happens is i hear my monitor changing resolutions and i see my desktop. What gives?

I am running Windows XP home, if that is the problem. Normal UT works just fine.

Are you trying to run a dedicated or a listen server? If it is dedicated it does appear like it is crashing to the desktop but in fact, it is running UT in the taskbar next to the system clock. You should see a small UT icon there.

Comment

when i try to start a normal server it crashes. When i try to start a dedicated server the icon shows up but no other server can connect to it.

The normal server does the same thing as the dedicated server (go to desktop) but no icon appears or anything.

Comment

i ran thieverserver.bat or something, and it said this at the end...:

UdpSErverUplink: Port 7779 successfully bound.
        AInternetLink Resolve failed: Can't find host master.mplayer.com (WSANO_DATA)
        UdpServerUplink: Failed to resolve master server address, aborting.

I am gonna say again that I can start a normal UT server but not a thievery server.

Comment

Originally posted by MacePulp
          i ran thieverserver.bat or something, and it said this at the end...:

UdpSErverUplink: Port 7779 successfully bound.
          AInternetLink Resolve failed: Can't find host master.mplayer.com (WSANO_DATA)
          UdpServerUplink: Failed to resolve master server address, aborting.

I am gonna say again that I can start a normal UT server but not a thievery server.
          That's exactly what you should see. The "Failed to resolve master server address, aborting" is an error message left over from the days when UT was covered by mplayer, which is no longer around. As long as that batchfile window is open (or minimized), your dedicated server is running.

Comment

If are connected through a firewall or are running a software one you will need to disable or bypass it.

Comment

why would that matter? it works on normal ut and another game called rune, but not thievery for some reason. Plus, i dont think it would make the server crash immediately just because i have a firewall up. Oh well. Ill open the port and see what happens.

Comment

why would that matter? it works on normal ut and another game called rune, but not thievery for some reason. Plus, i dont think it would make the server crash immediately just because i have a firewall up. Oh well. Ill open the port and see what happens.
                Assuming you haven't changed the default gameports for Theivery, open ports 7777-7782 and 27900 to UDP. The first range are the actual gameports, the last one is the master server query port.

Comment

but im just asking why i would need to do that when starting a server works on unreal tournament. Why do i need to open ports for only Thievery?

Comment

Can you play Thievery at all? Online?
                    No Linux, No Choice.
                    Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

yeah, the game just freakin crashes when i try to start it or when i start a dedicated server from another computer it starts but when i try to join it just says connecting but doesnt go anywhere. I can see it on the menu but it doesnt do anything.

Comment

Is UT patched to v436? UT would still work, but TUT won't if you aren't patched.

BTW, you might as well go ahead and get the latest IPdrv.dll (if you haven't gotten it already). It will help you avoid the Creeping Ping problem that plagued Win2K and XP and fixes a DoS exploit.
                        No Linux, No Choice.
                        Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

ach, i mean the server crashes when i start it. UT is version 436. Im downloading the IPdrv thing now.

Comment

ip drive downloaded, placed in ut/system folder. The server still crashes. I can start Practice games with no problem.

Comment

ip drive downloaded, placed in ut/system folder. The server still crashes. I can start Practice games with no problem.
                              I didn't think that would fix the problem, just that once you do get the server running you would already have it in place.

I don't know what the problem is, other than a corrupt download. If you have the original Beta of TUT, maybe you should delete* Thievery and re-install that. Try to run a server, and if it works, patch up to 1.4 and try again. If it fails after patching to 1.4, then download 1.4 again.

* To delete Thievery, delete the Thievery folder from the UT folder, then delete the Th*.* files from the UT/System folder. Make backups of your *.ini files and any additional files (maps) that you have installed.
                              No Linux, No Choice.
                              Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X