How do you start a server?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you start a server?

How do you start your own internet server? I've tried but I can't get one running... :?
    hehe.... this is a sig no?

Start new multiplayer game and set "advertise server" on in the options part of it...
    (If you have a router, kick it very hard untill it works...)

Comment

Tell me more about what kind of server you want to run. Are you going to set up a dedicated server on a separate machine from your own, that's going to be running all the time? Or are you planning on just having your server running while you're playing, and have it allow people to join you in the game you've started?

Also, what kind of firewall/security software are you running, and are you behind a router/hardware firewall?

System specs would also help - CPU type/speed, how much memory, what kind of connection are you on, etc.

Comment

I have a computer that's running 24/7 without any use of it exept for keeping the internet connection up...

I'll try with the advertise server thingy...

I have Zone Alarm running and I have a router... And the dial up is DSL 512 kbit (Or what it's called...)

I only succed to start a network server all the time... :?

Comment

First, make sure ZoneAlarm has a permission set for the program thaux.exe, both internet access and server access. If you're using the registered version, set ports 7777-7782 and port 27900 open to UDP. Make sure these ports are forwarded by any router to the internal IP of the server machine.

When you've done that, I'd recommend running the server from the .bat file. That way when it crashes, it will restart itself. You'll find that .bat file in your unrealtournament/system folder. It's called ThieveryUT.bat or some such, I believe. I think you already know that much, though, because from your previous post, it looks like this is how you were starting the server before.

If you want to be able to admin your server from any webbrowser, you'll need to enable webadmin. You can do this from within the game in "Start a new multiplayer game". Be sure to set an admin name and password. You'll also need to make a manual modification to the thaux.ini file. I'me forgetting the exact section name, but the one line there has a semicolon in front of it. Remove that semicolon and save the file before starting your server.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Ok, I'll try this on my normal computer to see if it works...

Comment

Originally posted by Kain
              Ok, I'll try this on my normal computer to see if it works...
              If you do that, be sure to set the port forwarding on your router to forward teh ports I mentioned to the machine that's running the server. If you run the server on another machine later, you'll need to re-set the port forwarding to that machine. And of course, each machine's firewalls will need the appropriate permissions.

Comment

Hmm, I failed to contact the server... but what server?

Comment

Originally posted by Kain
                  Hmm, I failed to contact the server... but what server?
                  That's typical. It's referring to the MPlayer and/or Heat master servers, which no longer exist. Don't sweat that message at the end of the startup log.

Comment

Working...
                  X