Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thievery causes system to crash

Hi!

straight to the Point: I've got some problems with thievery!
    I installed thievery on win98 and it worked perfectly. Now i run it on XP pro sp1 and got some serious crashes......
    Same computer, except a new graphic card (geforce4Ti4200).

The Problem: thievery runs for about 20-45 minutes, then crashes!
    Screen frozen, sound can still be heard. Nothing works.... Xp isn't able to end thievery. Power off is the only possiblity to restart.
    In singleplayer, the same problem occurse, except that the screen is frozen for only a few minutes. thereafter i can move, jump etc., but cant interact with objects, cant shout or wisper and the like.

I have no idee what happens....
    help

My Thievery crashes alot too. I run it in XP, with a GForce and stuff 1024*768 etc etc, then it freezes and the sounds repeats really quickly. It happens alot. If your problem is similer to mine and you discover a remedy, please let me know.
    -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
    - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
    - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
    -YT

Comment

thereafter i can move, jump etc., but cant interact with objects, cant shout or wisper and the like.
      This happens when you lag out in the server. You can still move, but can't do antyhing else. Thing is, you say it's in singleplayer.

I dunno what's wrong, but on my windows XP it runs perfectly
      On demand this signature has been changed. I hope nobody was insulted or got harmed due to my signature. If this is the case, I'm fully responsible for the harm that was done. Do you feel harmed or you simply want a listening ear?

Call 0900-PHAE

Comment

Does this happen in standard UT as well, or is it Thievery specific?

FixXxer, my Thievery used to do the same and I blamed that on my VIA chipset motherboard (with its absolutely lousy AGP support). This was fixed by upgrading to XP, flashing my bios, installing the latest VIA 4-in-1 drivers (or Hyperion as they are now called) and turning AGP down to 1x in bios. Even now turning agp to 4x means UT freezes the computer in about 10 seconds.
        Immortius' Forge

Comment

mmm, Thanks Immortas, I'll look into that
          -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
          - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
          - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
          -YT

Comment

Originally posted by Charon
            Hi!

straight to the Point: I've got some problems with thievery!
            I installed thievery on win98 and it worked perfectly. Now i run it on XP pro sp1 and got some serious crashes......
            Same computer, except a new graphic card (geforce4Ti4200).

The Problem: thievery runs for about 20-45 minutes, then crashes!
            Screen frozen, sound can still be heard. Nothing works.... Xp isn't able to end thievery. Power off is the only possiblity to restart.
            In singleplayer, the same problem occurse, except that the screen is frozen for only a few minutes. thereafter i can move, jump etc., but cant interact with objects, cant shout or wisper and the like.

I have no idee what happens....
            help
            You know I had a similar sort of problem with my radeon 8500. I now have a gf 4 ti 4200, win XP and everything runs fine....but....when I first got the new card I couldn't run anything,not even Xp, it would just crash on startup. It turned out that my PSU wasn't supplying enough to keep up with the demands of the Athlon and new video card.

This was completely solved by getting a new 550w PSU. I'm not saying this is your problem. In fact if you don't get any other problems in other games then it probably isn't, but, the way my radeon was always crashing in thievery makes me think that since UT is a very CPU intensive game, the extra power required was enough to push the system over the edge and crash it.

This probably isn't your problem at all, just thought I would say it here in case.

Comment

I got the same problem in every game with windows ME .
              the mistake was that i must build in a new (dont know what it means in english,but i discribe it) thing what make the computer cooler,that its not too hot.
              try this.xp uses more cache then other windows.
              :wink:
              Twinkle,twinkle,little pain in my hand and in my brain,down so low and up so high,will you live or will i die ?

Comment

tis a bit crazy, but thievery seems to become more stable when it's running a few hours. yesterday night i played over 4h without one single crash. I thought that problem fixed itself.....
                I was wrong! :cry:

UT2k3 runs without problems so i think my computer can handle thievery too.
                I'll checked ut1 for same error.....

PSU=Power supply Unit?
                i got 420W and got no Problems with other Games.
                Only system temperature seems a bit high.......60°C. But friends told me, that this is within tolerance for AMD CPU.

Are there any logs to check for the reason of my problem?

BTW:does anyone know what UT kosts now? Or where to get it?
                It quiet old isnt it?
                CD is sratched.....

Comment

Originally posted by Charon
                  PSU=Power supply Unit?
                  i got 420W and got no Problems with other Games.
                  Only system temperature seems a bit high.......60°C. But friends told me, that this is within tolerance for AMD CPU.
                  Yeah, PSU=Power supply unit.

Your 420W shouldn't be a problem.

60 degrees C is fine for AMD, 70 degrees is the max temperature for slot processors, 65 for the K6 III, but most are 85 or higher. Source.

UT can be picked up for about $10 US. I'm not sure about the availability, though.
                  Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

Working...
                  X