How to set up a Server?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to set up a Server?

Recently, there was a short time in which the only 2 servers were open in TUT, both needed passwords to get in. And, without any guild, I would not even know one single password to get in to any private game, so I decided to try to host a game server by myself. I couldn't do it and when I checked what the game was, it was only a LAN game multiplayer. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how host a game on Thievery Net, so if such an event occurs again and nobody can play, or I if anyone wants to play on another server and play with another group of people I can. It would seem like a good idea to know how to host games. Could anyone give me some advice as to how to bring this around?
    "He said he didn't trust me, so I killed him."--Hidden_Wolfe

If you have a router you will have to set up the ports to allow TuT through it for server hosting.

Once that's all done you just go Multiplayer>StartMultiPlayer game, you can make it dedicated or non-deciated etc etc etc.
    [E.D.G] "Eaves Droppers Guild - we're on the edge."

All New Thievery-O's!

Comment

You need to open/forward some ports through your router/firewall. If you have a router you need to forward them to the machine running the server, if you have a firewall you need to open them.

UDP 27900 - To advertise the server
      UDP 7777-7785 - Data ports
      Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

Been trying to learn this myself recently. Main problem for me is getting through the firewall- Still learning about them (specifiaclly, how to set-up my router). Been able to get a Listen and LAN server going, but not a dedicated server (at least not a visible one).

Brody has some good information in his sight: http://www.thieveryut.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3316 for location. See his server admin section.

Good topic- http://www.thieveryut.com/bb/viewtop...ht=server+port
        Do a search- this has been discussed before.

Check your upload speed at http://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/bandwidth.asp
        To handle at least 6 peolpe with decent connection speed, you will need around 256K.

Found some useful UT sites in my search:
        unreal.epicgames.com/utServers.htm
        www.planetunreal.com/theadminpage
        www.unrealadmin.org

For Firewalls, I have found this useful:
        http://users.pandora.be/mydotcom/lib...y/firewall.htm
        http://users.pandora.be/mydotcom/how...all/layout.htm

Would recommend the 451 patch (making the player login crash mod. listed on the site) from utpg.org as some security issues are resolved. If you plan on using UED though, you will want to create a seperate server installation as 451 breaks UED (should be fixed next patch they say).

More knowledgable folk can give details(and make any necessary connections to what I say), but if using defaults, and do not have another server using them, in youyr firewall:
        - open forwarding UDP ports 7777-7782 to the server machine
        - open port 27900 to advertise your server ("DoUplink=true" in ThAux.ini)
        - open port 80 for Web Admin access (probably done as standard port for IE)(must be enabled in ThAux.ini) .
        - Give UCC.exe access permission.

Also, in one of the topics I cane across when searching, it was pointed out a dedicated server might not appear right away, maybe as long as an hour- Any one able to confim this?
        Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
        Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

Originally posted by [E.D.G
          Chief]just go Multiplayer>Start[New]MultiPlayer game
          That is what you're looking for plus to check that "Advertise server" box.
          AlienMode ThieveryUT adaption
          Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
          Life is a bitch, then you get cancer. One story is good till another is told.

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf
            Originally posted by [E.D.G
            Chief]just go Multiplayer>Start[New]MultiPlayer game
            That is what you're looking for plus to check that "Advertise server" box.
            Do that, close the server, then run ThieveryServer.bat if you want it to automagically restart the server if UT crashes.

Comment

Sweet, thanks guys, I think this enough to know what I need to do.

Comment

you want do run a server?
                If not... ---> nah just kidding
                "Blockheads never learn, Clever learn by his own mistakes, Intelligents learn by mistakes of others."

Comment

Another page I found useful as a server newbie:

http://www.taliskerv.ch/article/article.php?article=16

Covers Tickrate and related server settings. Links on site to some picks that clearly demostrate the effects of different settings and problems.
                  Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
                  Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

I went through all of that tickrate stuff when I was setting my server up. I figured out how much I can handle bandwidth wise and everything. Then I thought "but what about the 56k people" and left it at default. :lol:

Comment

thx thebos u helped me very much!!
                      ThxThxThxThxThxThxThxThxThxThx
                      My english isnt the best!

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
                        you want do run a server?
                        I'm really considering it, because sometimes you can't get on any forums. And if you can, you need to be part of a guild or at least know the password. So, what I wanna do is when this happens, I'll set up a server where everyone can go to, guildmembers or non-guildmembers. BTW thank you again for all the info guys.

Comment

Working...
                        X