Server not staying advertised

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server not staying advertised

Trying to get a server started up, but having difficulties keeping it advertised.

Server is dedicated, starting from a batch file. IP is static, running on a cable modem. Lowest peak time upload speed I have seen is 284k. Server is a second PC I have (900Mhz Athlon, 128M PC-100 Ram, Win98SE), and is only runs the Theivery server at the moment.

Have seen the server on TUT server list and the All Seeing Eye. Also have had one other person on it on a couple of occaisions. For that reason, I think I got the my firewall and INI file settings at least partially correct.

Problem is it disappears form the available server list after fashion
    . I can still connect to it through LAN, but that is all.

Just before I wrote this, a couple of us were on the server when we got disconnected. The server did not crash, but we both lost connection. I was able to re-enter the level (through the LAN server list), but it did not re-appear on the other server lists or the All Seeing Eye. I restarted the level and it promptly appeared.

Thoughts?
    Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
    Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Originally posted by Thebos
    ...128M PC-100 Ram, Win98SE...
    I would say that this is most likely your problem and everyone is lagging out. Win98 is not the most efficient OS and is probably hogging a lot of that 128MB RAM.

You could change some settings in ThAux.ini to improve system performance but at a cost to overall gameplay.

Try changing the following values (make a backup first):

[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
    AllowDownloads=True
    ConnectionTimeout=15.0
    InitialConnectTimeout=500.0
    AckTimeout=1.0
    KeepAliveTime=0.2
    MaxClientRate=2600 ---------- Make sure this is @ 2600.
    SimLatency=0
    RelevantTimeout=5.0
    SpawnPrioritySeconds=1.0
    ServerTravelPause=4.0
    NetServerMaxTickRate=20 --- You may want reduce this (test for best performance).
    LanServerMaxTickRate=35

[UTMenu.UTServerSetupPage]
    bLanPlay=False ---------------- Make sure this is False.
    No Linux, No Choice.
    Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

Current Settings:

bLanPlay=False

[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
      AllowDownloads=True
      ConnectionTimeout=15.0
      InitialConnectTimeout=500.0
      AckTimeout=1.0
      KeepAliveTime=0.2
      MaxClientRate=4400
      SimLatency=0
      RelevantTimeout=5.0
      SpawnPrioritySeconds=1.0
      ServerTravelPause=4.0
      NetServerMaxTickRate=20
      LanServerMaxTickRate=20

The Win98 install is fresh.

Do not think I am overloading the system. There have been two players at most on the system, and ye ol' windows resource meter has yet to indicate more then 50% of resources used.

My thought is whatever caused the disconnect described also caused the server to stop being advertised. Hoping I missed a setting or something, although I suspect a hardware issue.
      Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
      Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

Have you considered removing IE? More stable with less system resources used is the effect. Heck, it may even fix your problem.

If you need a browser on there then grab Opera or Firebird or anything that doesn't depend on IE before removing it.
        Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

Tried running a server from my main PC using the ThAux.ini file from the Server PC. Worked fine. They both use the same router firewall, and the main PC has another firewall runnning on it which casued no problems. From this I will conclude that my settings are fine, but something about the server PC not related to UT settings is preventing it from being advertised. Orignally it would advertise at first on the server PC, then disappear (appearing only as a LAN server), but after ~15 minutes or so, it would stop advertising. I suspect the disconnect mentioned above is related to the whatever prevents the server PC from advertising (ie disconnect occured because the server was no longer seen by the rest of the world).

The server PC accesses the internet fine, and functions well as a LAN server. I did remove IE from the computer, although the only differnce that made was Firebird does not crash anymore. Resources use remained within 1%.

Does anyone know if Windows 98SE should have any special applications installed beyond what is needed for Network/Internet access? I did a minimal install and might have excluded it if it does .

The PC has had stability problems (fixed by reducing the memory speed), so I am thinking a hardware issue is the source of my problems. Memory checks out fine (per Norton and Sandra), although I will try swapping in a 256M stick. Will also try the server network card in my main machine. Final step will be trying a different power supply.

This is about the limit of my understanding. Any thoughts?

Comment

The server seems to advertise just fine now. Replacing power supply helped stabilize PC (PC133 memory can now run at 133 instead of being limited to 100). Tried a few things, but eventually Re-installed windows et. al.. Suspect either I had something set wrong or a corrupt network driver, but do not really know. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Ok, thought what I mentioned above fixed things, but not quite- server still would appear then disappear after a fashion. Think I figured it out though, as the server has been up for a few days now. The problem seems to have been a newbie misunderstanding of a firewall setting.

I had thought the idle time setting on the router indicated when it would shut down the connection (so maxed it out). It occured to me that such a setting might be more useful if it was for mainting the connection in some way, so I lowered to two minutes. It has worked ever since.

My main computer has a software based firewall that I suspect kept the connection alive somehow. Aside from being more powerful, that is the only real differnence, and I had no problem getting a server to run on that computer. As the server has yet to go above a 20% resource use, I doubt computational ability is the problem.

Comment

Working...
              X