Checking startup for factors that might retard performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking startup for factors that might retard performance

Okay, as my last thread stated, I have been having problems with Thievery running out of memory or somthing. After about my second or third consecutive game, the whole game starts to get more and more choppy, until it is practically unplayable (including sound). I belive it may be related to a startup function that is either enabled or disabled, or possibly maybe some spyware i am unaware of. I have ran "msconfig" in the start menu, and have disabled everything in the "startup" tab. The other tabs, like system.ini and staticVxDs i have no clue what they are, or what they do, so i have left everything checked in there. But my god! is there a lot checked in both of these. While my system recourses linger around 95%, they do drop down to 80% after exiting thievery. For this reason, i suspect some type of spyware? i know tut never did this before, and it does feel as if tut is running out of memory. Does anyone have any ideas as to what programs i should enable/disable, or how i can positivly identify a problem program or spyware?
    "It is truly a shame that the guards must be kept from the very tools of thier proffesion, but such blatant misuse of gas arrows cannot be tolerated. Alas, that poor burrick..."

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

Search for the names of the stuff starting up at that page. It has details on what they are and whether or not they should be disabled.
    Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

Stop trying to sound smart and don't use retard, retard.

"I'm going to need you to retard your anger level."

"I'M RETARDED! I'M RETARDED!"
      The only constant is change.
      (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

The following are the best sources of information I have found about startup programs and windows processes.

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm (startup programs)

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Taskl...s/tasklist.htm (all task list programs including processes)

As you probably know, it is always better to disable a program or process within the program's options menu if you can. For startups that cannot be disabled this way, I use CodeStuff Starter.

I took a quick look at your earlier thread and with all due respect disagree with some of the advice that was given about virtual memory under Windows XP. The following article explains this area better than I can and may give you some ideas about troubleshooting.

http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

If all else fails, you can try a memory manager such as CachemanXP. Ordinarily, these programs do not offer much if any performance boost under Windows XP, but in your case playing with the various options might help.

Good luck!

Comment

well, I'm still for Tweak XP!
          "Blockheads never learn, Clever learn by his own mistakes, Intelligents learn by mistakes of others."

Comment

i doubt teakxp will work with windowsme, and even if there's a chance i don't really wanna risk it. Thanks, it seems to be running okay now that ive installed my new memory dimm. Still don't know why it started acting up all the sudden
            "It is truly a shame that the guards must be kept from the very tools of thier proffesion, but such blatant misuse of gas arrows cannot be tolerated. Alas, that poor burrick..."

Comment

If you suspect spyware, try getting "Spybot Search and Destroy" off of download.com

It does a good job finding the spyware and deleting it, and it is also freeware.

Just make sure you download all of the updated lists to make sure it finds all of it.
              Salsa: The Z axis is the Acromaster's domain

Comment

Working...
              X