Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reinstalled Thievery, and now these two problems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reinstalled Thievery, and now these two problems...

well, the first one doesn't bother me so much. Its odd, all the vases (flower vases, swag vases, and decorative vases are black? thats right, only vases, but they are black as night, its like the texture isn't loading correctly or somthing. I am using Direct3d, and as others have suggested, i might try and play with Opengl and see if i can get it working. The only problem there is, with Opengl i cannot change gamma (brightness?) in prefrences.

This is the problem thats really killin me: I just reinstalled tut and got it working, and now every so often, it crashes out with an error that is about 500 charecters long. Ive tried reading it and it really doesn't mean much. Also, it doesn't do it in any perticular area either, just randomly. The one time it was when i hit escape to go to the main screen during gameplay, and the other i belive, was when i opened a door in aquatone. Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks

T13x
    "It is truly a shame that the guards must be kept from the very tools of thier proffesion, but such blatant misuse of gas arrows cannot be tolerated. Alas, that poor burrick..."

The random crash thing only occured me like 2 times in the first year I played Thievery. Then I switched computer, got a faster conection and now TUT crashes UT. Probably you wil need to resinstall all over if it bugs you too much. I personally dont give a damm if TUT crashes I play so seldom that it really doesnt affect me.

Did you try running UT and checking if the textures are messed up as well?
    Feel the power of the

Comment

Originally posted by Thief13x
      The only problem there is, with Opengl i cannot change gamma (brightness?) in prefrences.
      A sure way to fix this is to go into your video card settings, go to COLOR, then set the color correction really high, so that the screen is overly bright. After that, run Thievery and put it into windowed mode. You can do this with OpenGL or D3D, and there is room to make it way brighter than you would ever want.
      You can then adjust the brightness while in Thievery by experimenting with the video card brightness, until you find it just right.

This should help if you run an ATI card with CATALYST, but a NVIDIA card should have similar steps.
      Salsa: The Z axis is the Acromaster's domain

Comment

Originally posted by The Creator
        Originally posted by Thief13x
        The only problem there is, with Opengl i cannot change gamma (brightness?) in prefrences.
        A sure way to fix this is to go into your video card settings, go to COLOR, then set the color correction really high, so that the screen is overly bright. After that, run Thievery and put it into windowed mode. You can do this with OpenGL or D3D, and there is room to make it way brighter than you would ever want.
        You can then adjust the brightness while in Thievery by experimenting with the video card brightness, until you find it just right.

This should help if you run an ATI card with CATALYST, but a NVIDIA card should have similar steps.
        Or you could first try this patch, to see if it worksw better with it. http://shadowguild.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=315
        On demand this signature has been changed. I hope nobody was insulted or got harmed due to my signature. If this is the case, I'm fully responsible for the harm that was done. Do you feel harmed or you simply want a listening ear?

Call 0900-PHAE

Comment

i am on that probs currently too. i downloaded the file, started thievery, and it breaks loading with a virus message.
          better put that down?
          A real huge Man will neither stamp on a Worm, nor crawl for an Emperor

Thievery Customs Center
          Vietcong Customs Center

Comment

I think the problem might be that we're not running thievery off of the ut disc. Does anyone else not run tut off of the ut disk?
            "It is truly a shame that the guards must be kept from the very tools of thier proffesion, but such blatant misuse of gas arrows cannot be tolerated. Alas, that poor burrick..."

Comment

in ur other thread had someone given how to run thievery with ut disc. . then you would have an error message about missing cd, timmy. the new opengl.drv is in the patch 451 for thievery included, i know from grank. i had the same d3d problem yesterday. i installed the patch like grank said, and now i can play in opengl, much more brightness, as in the old opengl.

try it.

Thievery Customs Center
              Vietcong Customs Center

Comment

how to fix the direct3d problem:

downgrade with the ut included directx7. that works definately.

hot to fix the opengl. problem:

install the patch 451 for thievery, that includes a fixed opengl.dll.

Thievery Customs Center
                Vietcong Customs Center

Comment

A better fix to the OpenGL problem is to just install a different, updated OpenGL renderer. I don't have any of the links to updated renderers available to me right now, but perhaps some others could post theirs?

Comment

I had the url not by hand. And i had thought each player would prefer the patch and not only the dll file.

Finally, grab it there:

http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/

Thievery Customs Center
                    Vietcong Customs Center

Comment

hmm, so i successfully got opengl working, but 3 problems/questions

1 - When it asks me what graphics renderer to use (ie opengl, d3d,) it lists recommended ones, and the only two that are recommended is d3d and ut's default renderer.

2 - I used opengl anyway, and it helped with the problem, but didn't fix it completely. The textures problem is fixed, however, after the first or second consecutive game and it starts getting kinda choppy, like mini teleporting, not as bad as d3d's but still unreasonable. Its just as bad nomatter what resolution i put it at. This obviously shouldn't be because i'm running Flight Simulator 2002 at 1024x760 with all the detail at highest, and its working fine. Unreal should be water smooth all the time!

3 - I was gonna take your suggestion about downgrading to dx7 brody, but two problems #1 it won't let me, when i click reinstall directx, it says i already have a later version, and no download is necessary, and won't let me. #2, even if i do downgrade, i'm sure there are a few games that i play which requier Dx 8 or better, or somthing better than Dx7. Help anyone?

Thanks

T13x

Comment

You can downgrade the directx version easily with dx deinstallers, available from the internet.
                        That removes it quite fine. After that you can install dx7 and if needed later the higher versions. That will work fine with Thievery also. This due the strange fact, that the higher dx version NEVER replace or UPDATE ALL dxfiles. I ve done that too, Timmy, i installed dx 7, and actually now i have dx 9b running. Thievery works very fine.

That will work. It sounds complicater as it is.

>>> Notice for Readers: I dont have any url for the DX Deinstaller by hand. I ll look for it tomorrow and post the link then. There would be no need to ask for it 8) <<<

Thievery Customs Center
                        Vietcong Customs Center

Comment

Quote:
                          1 - When it asks me what graphics renderer to use (ie opengl, d3d,) it lists recommended ones, and the only two that are recommended is d3d and ut's default renderer.
                          Quote end

Thievery never offers other Renderers, just click to the "Show all devices" Button and mark the OpenGL Renderer. After you closed Thievery, check ur preferences of the Thievery.exe-Link, and delete the command "-changevideo". After that Thievery wont check the available Renderers and start with the last Renderer u has used: The OpenGL

Thievery Customs Center
                          Vietcong Customs Center

Comment

Originally posted by Brody
                            I had the url not by hand. And i had thought each player would prefer the patch and not only the dll file.
                            Installing the patch might install a new OpenGL renderer, but not all OpenGL renderers work equally well on all systems. One of the most commonly raved about ones, in fact, runs worse than the default one on my system.

Aside from the OpenGL renderer, there's not much reason to install the 450 or 451 patch on a game playing machine. The fixes in the patch are all serverside fixes, and the patches both render UEd inoperable on the machine they're installed on, so mappers definitely want to avoid this, unless they do a double install of UT, one for playing (patched to 450 or 451) and one for mapping (patched to 436). That's a lot of work, just for an upgraded OpenGL renderer.

Comment

Thanks for Explanation, LR.
                              So then there are diff versions OpenGL.dll available? If so, you might grab my downloaded one, Timmy. Its NOT that one i posted the link. Cuz i did not remember where i get mine from.
                              I guess at "forums.beyondunreal", but i am not sure finally. My OpenGL.dll was very fine. I can put to download for u, and u might grab and test it out?
                              Just let me know, i ll send you a password for downloading then tomorrow, when i am in my Office.

Thievery Customs Center
                              Vietcong Customs Center

Comment

Working...
                              X