OpenGL 3rd party drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenGL 3rd party drivers

I just finished testing out several OpenGL drivers for UT and I would like to post my findings here. I had to do an unbelievable amount of searching to try to figure out all of this, so I hope this thread helps to alleviate some of the confusion for someone.

First, Epic Games released an official beta version of a new driver for UT. You can find this here:

http://www.fileplanet.com/files/50000/54887.shtml
    (sorry for the fileplanet link - just too tired to try to find this file somewhere else)

I tested it on my computer, but I found another more recent OpenGL third party driver that works much better on my system. You can find this newer driver here:

http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/

This has been by far the best OpenGL driver for me. I am also copying my UnrealTournament.ini file here so others can use it if they wish. This of course is just the OpenGL driver section.

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
    Translucency=True
    VolumetricLighting=True
    ShinySurfaces=True
    Coronas=True
    HighDetailActors=True
    DetailTextures=True
    DescFlags=0
    Description=
    RefreshRate=0
    UseTrilinear=True
    UseS3TC=True
    UseTNT=False
    LODBias=0.000000
    UseMultiTexture=True
    UsePalette=True
    UseAlphaPalette=True
    ShinySurfaces=True
    MaxAnisotropy=0
    AlwaysMipmap=False
    UsePrecache=True
    SupportsLazyTextures=0
    UseBGRATextures=True
    UseSSE=1
    UseTexIdPool=True
    UseTexPool=True
    DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
    TexDXT1ToDXT3=True
    SinglePassDetail=True
    UseDetailAlpha=True
    UseCVA=True
    UseVertexProgram=True
    SwapInterval=0
    NumAASamples=0
    UseAA=False
    MaskedTextureHack=True
    UseMultiDrawArrays=True
    AAFilterHint=0
    BufferClippedActorTris=True
    ColorizeDetailTextures=False
    DetailClipping=True
    MaxTMUnits=0
    NoFiltering=False
    UseFilterSGIS=True
    Use4444Textures=False
    AutoGenerateMipmaps=True
    ShareLists=True
    UseZTrick=True
    MaxLogTextureSize=8
    MinLogTextureSize=0
    MaxLogVOverU=8
    MaxLogUOverV=8
    GammaOffset=0.000000
    TruFormMinVertices=0
    TruFormTessellation=3
    UseTruForm=False
    RequestHighResolutionZ=True
    GammaCorrectScreenshots=False
    OneXBlending=True
    GammaOffsetBlue=0.000000
    GammaOffsetGreen=0.000000
    GammaOffsetRed=0.000000
    DisableSpecialDT=False
    UseVertexSpecular=True
    FrameRateLimit=72

If anyone sees anything in there that needs to be changed, please post it here. I don't know what much of that stuff means. I copied someone else's settings and changed a few things here and there.

Salvage, you mentioned yet another beta OpenGL driver in another post. Your link was to here:

http://s95328126.onlinehome.us/uploa.../OpenGLdrv.zip

I tried that one, but it did not work nearly as well for me as dohnal's.

I have always had really low FPS and extremely choppy performance on TUT, and dohnal's drivers seem to help out a little.

My specs (in case anyone should care to know about my poopy machine)
    4 year old Gateway
    P3 550 (eeek!)
    15 inch monitor
    256 RAM
    GEForceFX 5200 128MB
    60 gig HD (full naturally)
    SoundBlaster!Live Value

I was running TUT on D3D at 640x480 with low everything. Since changing to the OpenGL drivers it appears that I can run TUT at 800X600 and still get a slightly better framerate. It's still not great, but at least it seems to be a little better than it was before.
    You can check out anytime you like, but you can NEVER leave.

With the one I gave out earlier I was getting ~40 fps consistently at 800x600, medium world detail, and low model detail. System was Celeron 500 with 128 SDRAM and Geforce 2 MX.

Now I have to use Direct3D because ATI fuxXxored:p their OpenGL drivers in the latest releases(ATI support says it's only with older games that use OpenGL and that the 3.9s should work). D3D is working fine for me thankfully, alt tab even works.
    Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

When using OpenGL, I get problems when closing TUT.... because it doesn't close properly. I exit the game and everything is fine, though th-Aux.exe is still running in the background, preventing me from starting TUT again until I end the proces using alt-ctrl-del. It isn't that much of a problem though it can get anoying, so I was wondering if anybody has this too or knows a fix for it.

My card = Nvidia Geforce fx 5600
      In d3d, it runs fine but OpenGl is better
      http://s95328126.onlinehome.us/uploader/uploads/Carnsig.jpg[/img]

Comment

Strange. Half-life always used to do that to me, and no other programs would open until you manually ended the Half-life process. I fixed this by reformatting my computer. Well, actually, it might still do that, I'm really not sure...
        It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

I use openGL on my 3D Prophet Radeon 9600 Pro, and it's fine, perfect apart from upon exiting TUT my colours are a bit wishy washy, a reboot or change of resolution fixes that.

Generally the game runs fine, fast, you can switch tasks.. but I do crash to desktop between map changes occasionally, but if you keep ASE open in the background a simple double click on the server you were on gets you back in often quicker than the other players!
          ~TuF~

Comment

I use the dohnal OpenGL Renderer personally on my Radeon 9800Pro. Works like a dream. And if you are talking about the gamma problem. In Win98SE all I have to do is move the brightness slider and every things cool. Mind you I have no idea if that works in WinXP :\

And to TheMachine. You can also restore your colors by simply opening the color tab in the advanced menu of the Display properties
            ZT

Comment

Just wanted to tell you thanks for the links guys, on the drivers, I have done some major tweaking with my system lately. Between DirectX, updating my drivers for my vid card, the list goes on and on.

Thievery was *stuttering* a bit, making my eyes go nuts trying to play, so installed the driver from the mindspring.com site, and now Thievery runs with no problems what so ever. So, thank you!!

Back to tweaking.

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenArts
                Just wanted to tell you thanks for the links guys, on the drivers.
                You are very welcome! I am glad this could be of use to someone. It took me forever to find all of this information out.
                You can check out anytime you like, but you can NEVER leave.

Comment

The engine just sucks by todays standards and most vid drivers don't support half the features, It's cool that we have something like this that will let us keep playing.
                  One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
                  -
                  The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

with my OpenGL driver i get a good framerate and nicer quality lighting than in Direct3D
                    incase you want to know i use an ATi radeon 9000 on a 2.8 athlon with 1 gb of ram

ATi did fuxxor up their opengl drivers but if you download the latest version of catylist and teh GAMMA FIX then you should be ok... i forgot which driver it was, but it was posted by the guy using ati truform a while back
                    Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Comment

uhhhh low fps is bad? maybe i'm getting my fps the wrong way. I type 'stat fps' in console. it usually says that i have 18 fps. but thievery runs very smoothly.
                      when i shoot like 10 crack arrows, my fps goes up to like 60. strange? dunno. anyways thanks s1k for the drivers. i can't tell if there is a difference though. there dosen't seem to be. but just in case there is i'm going to stick with the driver.

Comment

stat fps is different in UT than in UT2003/4. 'timedemo 1' is the command to use.
                        Last edited by immortius; 26th May 2004, 06:18 AM.
                        Immortius' Forge

Comment

I just got a Radeon 9800 Pro yesterday. (the MX was no good for Thief 3)
                          Should I stick to dx or switch to opengl? The game did look better before on the MX but the card was so crappy that some time after the frames started to drop horribily.
                          Feel the power of the

Comment

OMG!!!! S1K I DIDN'T REALIZE IT AT FIRST BUT THAT DRIVER RULES! Thank you so much! It's amazing! the BEST i have ever some across! thank you thank you!

Comment

When I use it it looks like the 'texture usage' mode from ued :p

Comment

Working...
                              X