Setting commands to Mouse 4 and 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting commands to Mouse 4 and 5

How can I set commands to mouse 4 and 5 - UT doesn't recognise them as buttons, in fact the only game I have managed to get it to do this is Half-Life. Anyway, do they have an obscure name, I have tried "mouse4" and "mouse5" etc but it doesn't recognise them.

Will I have to somehow set them to keyboard keys and then set that key to perform the action - although I would prefer not to have to do this as I want them to be forward and back buttons normally (like they are now).

So, any idea of how to get UT or TUT to recognise them?

Cheers, Daniel
    These days I find that I can't be bothered,
    To argue with them - well what's the point?
    Better to take you shots and drop down dead.

Use whatever software that came with your mouse to bind the buttons to a key on the keyboard that you aren't using. Games(and Windows) will now recognise those buttons as those keyboard keys.
    Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

that's what I thought, but it appears you can only bind it to certain keys (i was thinking that i would bind them to my forward and back keys on the keyboard) and so it isn't really possible :-/

There must be someway to force UT to recognise the buttons as an Unknown something or other (for example, my forward keyboard button is known as unkownA6 by UT)

Comment

Sorry I don't have a solution for you citizen, but I do have a question in the same vein:

I have my side mouse button bound to an unused keyboard button, but the function that I want to use for it happens to be the only one which doesn't work. I want to set it to block. I have the side mouse bound to pagedown. When I bind anything else to pagedown, it works the same whether I press it on the keyboard or the side mouse. However, when I attempt to bind block, it works only on the keyboard, the mouse doesn't respond.

Comment

Have you tried Unknown05, Unknown06 or Unknown07? Though to be honest, if the buttons don't work on the keybind screen then the engine isn't reading them, you'll have to use the 'bind to keyboard button' feature.. annoying, I know.

Occam, what bind are you setting the key to? Does your mouse software simply send the keypress, or does it keep the virtual key held down all the while the mouse button is down?

I'd be interested to know which mice you both own.

Comment

I own this one:
            http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/st...8700&storeId=1

I was trying to bind block to the side button (bAltFire | AltFire). After reading your post, I went back in to muck about, and I found that for some reason, when I bound other keys to the side button, (specifically alt or ctrl) it worked. I really have no idea why ctrl and alt worked while f8 and pagedown didn't, but whatever works, works. And to answer your question, apparently the virtual key is held down as long as I hold the sidemouse, as I now can block indefinitely.

Now I'm curious about those unknown binds, I'll go give 'em a try. Just so's you know, I find that some keys cannot be bound on the keybind screen, but if I use the set input key bind thing in the console, the function works (specifically, I had to do this to make f8 work). So even if it won't show up on the keybind screen, it's worth trying.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Hmm I have a memorex MX4350RF, but it is crappy wirelessness and so I tend to plug in the intellimouse.

However, I still use the memorex software (seems to make no difference O_o)

Whatever mouse I use, UT won't pick up the other buttons and the software will only let me bind it to certain keyboard keys (noteably the F keys :-/ which are needed really )

Any more ideas ?

Cheers for trying to help

Comment

Working...
              X