Speed it up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed it up...

How do you guys reccommend i could speed my computer up??? Just need to know anything i can do to make it go faster... Thanks
    If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe - Carl Sagan

Normally in cases like this, people will ask for your system specs. Motherboard (primarily to know the FSB, I gather), Processor, amount and speed of RAM, and video card (if you're talking about running games smoother)

(Was thinking about hardware upgrades of course, but if it's system optimization you want...)
    Last edited by Hybrid; 15 Sep 2004, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Punch it.

Comment

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/?t=...ate=2004-06-11
        <-- Resident Nightblade suggestion attorney...

Comment

Your close megadude, I like to use the BFH.

Comment

Turn off all programs like AIM that are running when you're not using them.

Use Linux.

Use Firefox and/or trillian instead of their microsoft/aol counterparts.

Use Microsoft and AOL products sparingly.

Make sure you're not infected wiht spyware/viruses.

Eliminate any unnecessary gadgets like thermometers on your desktop.

If using WinXP, make it so that it emulates the windows NT style instead of the XP style. It makes the comuter do less background rendering/thinking.

Eliminate any idle processes.

Focus on what you're doing. DOn't let more than 5 windows be up at any one time.

At least one of the above will make your computer run faster. For added results, use more than one strategy.
            "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/?t=...ate=2003-05-30

While we'll need your system specs to help you further, here's some basic stuff.

Here's an email I sent to a friend a few months ago. While probably not the best explanations, I'm sure you can take out of it what you need At the time they were have problems with browser hijackers, however most the tools are still the same. Some items were removed. Some items updated. Personal comments removed.

Try these one at a time and see which one fixes it. I've tried to put
              them in the order that I think they'll work. All programs below are
              free.

Anyway, List of programs

====================

- CWShredder [User friendly]

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/cwshredder.zip

Just unzip to desktop and run. This one is very user friendly. Just
              click "Fix ->". Let it run.

---------------------------------------

- HijackThis [DANGEROUS]

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/hijackthis.zip

Before you start the program read:

*****NOT ALL ENTRIES ARE BAD*****

If there is anything blatantly wrong, you attempt to fix that.
              However, _MOST_, items (between 15-25), are supposed to be there.
              Consider this a power user toy. I listed it second as a way to fix
              it, however, I would recommend you use it last if you or your husband aren't sure.

- AVG [User friendly]

http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

I'll assume you know how to get the registration code and installation
              file. Be sure to update first.

Spybot S&D [User friendly]

http://www.download.com/Spybot-Searc...ml?tag=lst-0-2

This program is fairly straight foward, install the basics. The
              permanent IE protection is nice, however I would recommend not using
              TeaTimer.

When you first start it, it comes up with a tutorial. You should
              follow all the steps, however seeing as how you're infected with
              *something* at the moment, I would recommend against doing the
              registry backup.

Adaware [User friendly]

http://www.download.com/Ad-aware/300...ml?tag=lst-0-2

This program is also pretty straight forward.

Windows Updates [User friendly]

Start ---> windows update

This should be fairly obvious. See below if IE still fails to load
              The rest of the email I don't think pertains to this problem.

Radamanthus

Turn off all programs like AIM that are running when you're not using them.
              I best like your trillian suggestion so far.

Use Linux.
              I'm sure they've made some changes since I last used linux, but I simply found it too confusing for most average computer users to use.

Use Firefox and/or trillian instead of their microsoft/aol counterparts.
              Agreed. Going back to your first suggestion. Trillian only uses about 25MB (physical + VM). That's not going to impact your performance severely. I find it rarely uses even a minute of CPU time even after hours.

Use Microsoft and AOL products sparingly.
              Aol: Preach it

Microsoft: Some things just need to be lived with.

Make sure you're not infected wiht spyware/viruses.
              See email above.

Eliminate any unnecessary gadgets like thermometers on your desktop.
              I don't really see how they impact performance that much. The one I'm using uses less than 5MB of memory and in 4 hours of uptime, has barely used 3 minutes of CPU time.

If using WinXP, make it so that it emulates the windows NT style instead of the XP style. It makes the comuter do less background rendering/thinking.
              Completely agree. I used to use classic simply because the Luna theme is ugly. However, The version 7 longhorn transformation pack is pretty sweet. No performance hit at all.

http://www.tcmagazine.info/modules.p...ticle&sid=7077

Focus on what you're doing. DOn't let more than 5 windows be up at any one time.
              I think an important qualfier to add to that would be don't let 5 major programs be up at any one time.

Calc, two IE windows, trillian, and winamp isn't going to kill you.

I never let anything more than my desktop themometer, AV software, trillian, task manager open when playing games though.

Having more than 5 non memory intensive programs won't hurt you though
              Last edited by Newbie; 15 Sep 2004, 07:57 PM.
              "You are entitled to your opinion, even if it is wrong."

"Ignorance is not an excuse.. heh, it's a cause." -Per Edman

Comment

Defragment often.
                Take out any programs that load at startup that you don't need, they
                really affect performance.
                Get rid of spyware if you have any.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostly apparition
                  Defragment often.
                  IMO, defragmenting on an NT, especially XP, operating system is pretty worthless. It's done automatically when the system is idle.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie
                    IMO, defragmenting on an NT, especially XP, operating system is pretty worthless. It's done automatically when the system is idle.
                    yeah, but if you d/l maps for games or do alot of other work with files,
                    the computer can get pretty fragmented and to wait till xp does it when the system is idle could probably take a week or more. In the meantime your computer is running slow as poop.

Comment

thank you guys... i just meant small things, i know all the upgrades i can get.... We have a 512 ram system right now and we bought a 512 piece of memory for about 78 bucks to get over a gig... unfortunately there are only two ram slots... and the computer came with 2 256 pieces instead of 1 512... so we only have room for 768 and we had to just chunk one of the extra 256 pieces...
                      If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe - Carl Sagan

Comment

If you want to clear up what's loaded into RAM at startup:
                        Start -> Run -> type "msconfig".

Select the Startup tab. All the checked boxes are programs or services that load and use memory upon booting. Google the stuff you find; many of them should remain ticked (such as AntiVirus programs) but you may have some nasties like trojans or programs that you've since attempted to delete. If it's a system file and you google it, you'll probably get a results page on something like LIUtilities informing you about what it does. If you're still unsure about whether or not you should keep it, paste it in here.
                        Nightmaster,
                        .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
                        - "until the cat is skinned"

Comment

Backup your data and reinstall your OS and programs once every six months or so.

Comment

xp does it when the system is idle could probably take a week or more. I
                            There is more idle time on a computer than you might think. Even now while you read this, that's idle time. Granted, it has to be idle for a certain amount of time before it starts.

In the meantime your computer is running slow as poop.
                            Have you ever REALLY noticed a difference between before and after defragging on XP? 1-3% better maybe? Margin of error for testing difference?

Comment

When I defrag on Windows 2000, everything runs worse. Does that count for anything?

Comment

Working...
                              X