Computer Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mOdEtWo
    Nevertheless, that is theft of CD-keys. It's like going in to a PC shop, look at a cover, and write down the CD-key of a program.
    What the?! You should know better m2!!! The rules of this forum explicity state no warez etc... and now you've encouraged me to go out and commit FRAUD. I'll be sure to mention you at my trial.
    ~TuF~

Comment

Comment

I also had to reconfigure my HD using the recovery CD. I still have not been able to get my laptop back to the way it was before. I also recently dl SP2 in the manner you decribed...lots of pestering from the automatic update. I will say my computer takes a long time to shut down, not start up and while playing TUT and UT...well this is difficult to describe but while I am playing, I loose control of my character and all I see is rapid spinning for about 10 seconds. Just enough time to get royally fragged to smithereens. It is like my mouse control suddenly goes wacky. And it usually does this during the worst time too. Not sure if this is related to anything. But I did get a new mouse...a logitech optical mouse.
        Last edited by Ruffian; 29 Oct 2004, 03:21 PM.
        formerly littlek

Comment

AHHH! 'lil K, I had that issue with a particular mouse I used a while back, changing the mouse resolved the problem straight away, I did crazy spins for around 3 seconds and was unable to control my character for around 5 seconds.

Thinking about it, I was running Windows XP, not SP2 however, I took the mouse to work because my work are too stingy to buy opticals and I dispise ball mice now. The Operating system at work is Windows 98 SE, and I don't recall the crazy mouse movements ever happening there... but I maybe wrong, it could just be I don't notice them because all I'm doing is messing in windows.
          ~TuF~

Comment

Thanks for the insight Machine. I took my old mouse to work but I think that I will switch it back with the new one. Those spins make me dizzy!
            formerly littlek

Comment

I have the same issue with the mouse using an optical mouse. It seems to occur if I look all the way down or up, either by some intention, or a mouse glitch. Looking up or down tends to fix this rather quick in my case.
              Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
              Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

Service pack 2 has issues with brand name computers and laptops. Often it makes them reboot on startup or not shut down properly. The easiest thing to do is repair from the original XP cd, then just do sp1 / windows updates.

Comment

Win98SE! Booyah. Pwned. Dude, I'm still running it and it's been awesome for me! I have Fedora too but I'm not used to it yet(it's too freaking slow i must have to configure something :\)

Comment

Windows XP is a far better operating system than WIndows98SE.

Comment

Come over HERE and say that

Nightmaster,
                      .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
                      - "until the cat is skinned"

Comment

Omg, the truth.. IT HURTS!

Win98 SE is atleast outdated, and is not being updated by Microsoft anymore. So I really suggest changing to a newer OS - preferable Windows 2000 if your machine is rather old.

Comment

www.debian.org

Join usss.... join ussss nooooooow...

Comment

Mode, I know 98SE is hopelessly out of date. But it works well for games, including older games that XP can kill, and Windows 2000 is notorious for creating problems with gaming.

Not to mention I can't be arsed backing up all my files and clean installing a new OS and dealing with the problems that arise from that. I have a hardware firewall and AVG, I'll be fine until I buy a new computer which will have XP included.

On top of that all, I was joking with Yenz. He LOVES it
                            Nightmaster,
                            .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
                            - "until the cat is skinned"

Comment

I have a duel boot Windows XP Pro Corp. / Windows 2000 Pro machine, I hardly ever ever use Windows 2000, only for testing code and for scanning and defragging the other partition (no files in use if your not in that windows!)
                              ~TuF~

Comment

Working...
                              X