Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCI express vs AGP

Hey all,

I've been browsing fow a new computer lately. Now I'm puzzled about nforce4, ddr2 and PCI Express hardwares...Technology is changing to some new standards and I've been trying to build off a new cpu browsing individuals parts. And I'll wait a few months to build it on new coming tech.

Well, is there any of you got some info for me? And primarely, Are you guys running on AGP or PCI Express cards?
    ------

------"

PCIe is the future -- NVidia and ATI are both pushing it very hard.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

Yeah, might want to wait a bit if you're upgrading video card, so you can get a good PCIe one at a decent price. It's what I plan to do, anyway.

Comment

In my opinion, at the moment it would be best holding off a little while this new technology develops. If you must buy now, it would be best to something along the lines of a 3ghz, 1gb ram, Radeon 9800 (maybe one tier higher, or the nvidia equivalent). A nice amount of power and it won't break the budget.

I got my computer pre-PCI express, so I've got AGP, but my next computer would certainly use PCIe.
        Immortius' Forge

Comment

I'm certainly waiting for PCIe to come down in cost and become a more accepted technology before I upgrade anything major.

Comment

Going with what has been said- go the PCI express route if for no other reason then to allow your new motherboard to have a little extra life.

Currently, there is no performance difference between the types as AGP 8X has not been pushed to the limit. Expect that to change within the a couple of years. AGP/parrallel PCI is being phased out. The PCI express architecture is (overall) faster and cleaner, and should be the standard within the nex year.
            Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
            Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

The main selling factor for me is that you can have more than one PCI express card and that they can work together(split the load) if the card is designed for it(the new Geforce cards can do this).
              Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

Originally posted by Salvage
                The main selling factor for me is that you can have more than one PCI express card and that they can work together(split the load) if the card is designed for it(the new Geforce cards can do this).
                It'll be interesting to see what changes this brings. With the way NVidia and ATI are currently pricing cards, I don't think that buying two cards will be more cost effective than buying a single more powerful card. However, it's a nice upgrade path -- especially since prices on previous generation video cards drop dramatically.
                Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

From a couple of reviews I have seen with SLI technology, it would seem to good only for an upgrade, or to run up to four monitors. From a performance point, you can spend your on two cards, or spend it on one card and get the same performance. BUt as an upgrade path, it can be really cost effective as mentioned if you give live with less then the latest and greatest.

As I recall, the AGP spec also allowed this, but nobody ever implented it. PCIe makes it more useful. The mother board will require two PCIe 16X slots, but as memory serves, if you only use one PCIe 16x slot for a video, the other slot can be used with any PCIe card 16X or smaller so the slot would not be wasted.

With reagards to overall upgrading, if you build your own system, and do not expect to replace the mobo for several years , then I would recommend the PCIe path. If you buy a pre-built systems, only upgrading the memory or video card, then completely replacing it a few years down the road, would recommend an AGP based system if it is significantly cheaper.
                  Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
                  Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

You should wait until I graduate from college and become famous and make superior technology that the world has never seen before! I'll hook you guys up if this ever does happen though

Comment

A portuguese mag made some tests on a couple mid price PCI express cards. All tests in new engines (like Farcry) gave some letdown results.
                      If you are looking for top performance in the newest games you will have to stick to the "old" AGP technology. If you want to be ready for the possible future then go ahead with PCI express but dont expect a big boost.
                      Feel the power of the

Comment

Originally posted by Thebos
                        As I recall, the AGP spec also allowed this, but nobody ever implented it. PCIe makes it more useful.
                        Amusingly enough, way back in the day you used to be able to hook up two Voodoo 2's (I think) in SLI interface, for the most powerful gaming experience EVERRRR. Old skool, and they've taken this long to come up with it again properly.
                        Nightmaster,
                        .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
                        - "until the cat is skinned"

Comment

Working...
                        X