Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thievery under Linux

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Thievery under Linux

    Anyone managed to get it going with WINE or similar?

    I remember someone saying leatherman had fiddled with it.

  • #2
    LeatherMan sounds like he did more than just fiddle with it.

    I understand that Chief and perhaps Rad, too, have messed around with Th-Linux.
    Nightmaster,
    .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
    - "until the cat is skinned"

    Comment


    • #3
      LeatherMan and Brody collaborated to get a dedicated server running under Linux.

      Apparently if you want to just play the game or run a listen server it works fine under Wine(or maybe it was WineX), but I've never even tried using Thievery under Linux.
      Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Yenzarill
        Anyone managed to get it going with WINE or similar?

        I remember someone saying leatherman had fiddled with it.
        Yes, TUT works with both Wine and WineX (now Cedega), and it works better under Cedega in my experience. It seems that all versions of Cedega offset the image if you run it at the same resolution as your desktop, so you just have to run it at a lower resolution. I also noticed some annoying hiccups, but that goes away if you enable Anisotropic Filtering. OpenGL is still the better renderer to use, so long as you use a newer OpenGL renderer (dll) than the one that shipped with the game.

        Running a server takes more work and an older version of Wine (never has worked with WineX/Cedega).

        Originally posted by Salvage
        LeatherMan and Brody collaborated to get a dedicated server running under Linux.
        Actually, it was with Mog, not Brody.
        No Linux, No Choice.
        Know Linux, Know Choice.

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm not interested in running a server, I just want to be able to play.

          wine --version outputs:

          Wine 20040716

          What I have is a mounted NTFS partition (read only) with an UnrealTournament installation folder. I can't get it to work. I'm going to try installing UT under wine, into the fake_windows folder, and see if it will work that way (I'm guessing it needs write access, so it's not really that surising that it dies horribly when running from the mounted NTFS partition.)

          I can't get firegl installed either.

          Any suggestions, ideas or comments on how you had it running?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Yenzarill
            What I have is a mounted NTFS partition (read only) with an UnrealTournament installation folder. I can't get it to work. I'm going to try installing UT under wine, into the fake_windows folder, and see if it will work that way (I'm guessing it needs write access, so it's not really that surising that it dies horribly when running from the mounted NTFS partition.)
            You definitely need write access. The first thing UT does is to write a log file and a temp file (which is deleted on a clean exit. When it isn't deleted, it knows the game crashed last time and starts with the safe mode dialog) to the System folder.

            I can't get firegl installed either.
            I am assuming you have an ATI card, and if so I can't help you. I only use nVidia because their Linux support is leaps-and-bounds better.

            Any suggestions, ideas or comments on how you had it running?
            It has been so long since I installed UT/TUT I really can't remember. I have my /home and /usr/local/games directories on separate partitions, so any upgrading/reinstalling of the OS means I don't have to reinstall any of my games. The only thing I remember is that you had to edit your ThAux.ini to use OpenGL rather than Direct3D, but even that may not be necessary anymore.
            No Linux, No Choice.
            Know Linux, Know Choice.

            Comment


            • #7
              Just recently I found myself in with a chance to get a _proper_ Australian server up and running at my ISP's server farm. Basically if I get a thread up with 20 votes they'll strongly consider running a Thievery server, but the sticking point would be this:

              "While we will be proactive about all serious requests we can not possibly support every single game type out there. In addition game types that don't have stable and dedicated server ports (preferably linux based) will have significantly lower chances of being added."

              So basically to run a Thievery server (dedicated) you have to be runing an old version of Wine? I'll have to talk to the Server Ops and see what kind of environment they're running on most of their machines.
              Nightmaster,
              .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
              - "until the cat is skinned"

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Shug
                So basically to run a Thievery server (dedicated) you have to be runing an old version of Wine? I'll have to talk to the Server Ops and see what kind of environment they're running on most of their machines.
                I am still using Wine version 20020710 under Mandrake 8.2. All versions of Wine released since give network errors and eventually crash. Your ISP likely wouldn't be interested in running an outdated Linux release for one game server. Good luck, though!
                No Linux, No Choice.
                Know Linux, Know Choice.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I have a radeon 9800XT 256/256

                  This is getting troublesome. Oh well.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    ATI and Linux are a VERY bad combonation (untill you get the drivers actually installed) then it's good.

                    Most of the distros have FAQ's on how to install ATI drivers and most usually end up with you d/ling a new kernel and recompiling linux just to get the drivers to work.
                    [E.D.G]Chief

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by LeatherMan
                      Actually, it was with Mog, not Brody.
                      Well, thank-you

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ]>CoD<[Chief
                        ATI and Linux are a VERY bad combonation (untill you get the drivers actually installed) then it's good.

                        Most of the distros have FAQ's on how to install ATI drivers and most usually end up with you d/ling a new kernel and recompiling linux just to get the drivers to work.
                        Even then I believe Wine/Cedega support may be lacking when it comes to ATI.

                        Good luck (you're gonna need it)!

                        Originally posted by Mog
                        Well, thank-you
                        YW
                        No Linux, No Choice.
                        Know Linux, Know Choice.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          ATI drivers now have a setting solely for winex/wine to stop the old issues they had (whatever they were).
                          [E.D.G]Chief

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ]>CoD<[Chief
                            ATI drivers now have a setting solely for winex/wine to stop the old issues they had (whatever they were).
                            That is good, though I don't know what the issues were either.

                            Also, new Linux drivers were just released which supports all of their graphics chips now.
                            No Linux, No Choice.
                            Know Linux, Know Choice.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X