[Geek] [Computer Hardware] Fastest RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Geek] [Computer Hardware] Fastest RAM

Lately I've been running some hardcore applications that demand a LOT of memory (one errored out "could not allocate 6184 MB memory"). I have 2x512MB Corsair XMS PC-3200 CL2 RAM in there, which has served me very well for the past year. Finally fed up, I'm hunting down some more RAM. What's the fastest RAM out there? Um, to make things revelant for high-end applications these days, make it 1GB sticks or larger. I found some very fast 512 sticks but I wanted to get the 1GB sticks. In particular, I'm having difficulty finding any 1GB sticks with CL2.
    "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

As companies like mushkin or corsiar do not have them, doubt you will find the faster timings at 1G/module. Also, you sure that 6184 M error is not a reference to your Page file settings?

A review here for some Mushkins I saw the other day (doubt it is significantly faster (if at all) then what you have):
    http://www.viperlair.com/reviews/mem...n/DDR1/ll3200/
    Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
    Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

What on earth are you doing that would require more than a gig of twinX ?

I have two 512 MB sticks of 3200 CAS2, quite pleased.

Comment

Yeah. That mushkin is pretty fast. 2-2-2. I was just reading on Anandtech and, although they didn't mention it explicitly, I think there are a slew of brands that are 2-2-2 but nothing beyond 512MB. Man! I really figured 1GB sticks with that speed would have been out for at least a half-year by now. I guess I'll settle with CL3 (save me a few bucks, anyway). Anyone have news on when they might come out with 1GB sticks of CL2?

Yenz, I'm creating 300+ megapixel images. Trust me, the requirements are nutz, holding all that plus layers & blending channels in memory. Here's an example of one I just did (it's a draft, still needs work). Careful, it's 10MB size; it's 75% original resolution http://user0017.comcast.net/harpers-75.htm Here are other's I've done.

Comment

Why not just buy another gig of what you have? (Unless your board only has two slots, I suppose...)

Comment

I'm sick of not having enough RAM for anything. I'd like to increase my system to 3GB. I have four slots. Two are filled with 512.

Comment

Are you sure it is your physical memory, and not your virtual memory?

I am only running 756M PC133 memory, but the PC does okay handling 800-900M WAV files. Only time I have run into memory problems like that is when scanning images. In those the problem was lack of disk space.
              Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
              Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

Its all good. I just bought some Corsair XMS CL 3-3-something, 2GB-worth. (Still wish I could have gotten CL 2, but oh well, patience....) The example I mentioned where I needed 6GB... that was me pushing my computer way over the edge. There are ways to manipulate my stitcher program so that it doesn't request that much all at once. I told it to stitch 42 five-megapixel images simultaneously (this method works when I have 20 or less). I told it to stitch 10 at a time and it's purring away now with my 1GB. Virtual memory I have plenty of. 20GB free on my RAID, and 100GB free on my data drive, and I've allocated 2-4GB VMem on each drive.

Comment

Working...
                X