No announcement yet.

Which piece of hardware fails next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My money is on the EPS conduits. Those always need replacing.
    “That’s not what justice is,” the colonel jeered, and began pounding the table again with his big fat hand. “That’s what Karl Marx is. I’ll let you know what justice is. Justice is a knee in the gut from the floor.

Comment

Elementary my dear DP
      ..it's safer here.

Comment

I bet its gonna be your headphone, lets said left side will stop working.

Interesting discution about the X-Fi. Yeah, many ppl have various problem with those card, particulary craking/poping issue. Nforce mobo are really problematic, but for many a bios update fixed everything. Personnnaly, i think Creative drivers are really heavy for nothing. Just too many tools/appz. Creative cant keep it simple; A goddam simple sounds control panel!

Anyway, i was aware of the problem, but i was lookin for a new card. I mostly discarded any Creative products until they release a "partialy" working driver for Linux. Then i changed my mind. Pcie 1x board are really problematic, avoid them for now. The solution was a third part X-fi card that run on regular pci. The answer came from Auzentech.

I dont have to deal with creative crappy drivers, no poping issue (Nforce 6 mobo), and the card work in linux using Creative latest open driver. I can use EAX 5.0 in Windows, and convert it into a Dolby Digital signal in real time. The sound is send to my receiver via optical. I'm really happy. For linux, the card work, but only the basic feature; Stereo sound via analog/spdif/optical, but nothing more. Since i dont play when i'm on my linux partition, its ok for me.
        My AS2K4 map: Sulfure-SE
        And a fixed one: BehemothTournament-TE2

Comment

Interesting. Can you tell a difference in quality using the optical outputs or does it just cut out interference?

It sounds like you're saying the optical will handle 5.1 as well, is that correct?
          One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
          -
          The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

Originally posted by Chainsaws View Post
            Interesting. Can you tell a difference in quality using the optical outputs or does it just cut out interference?
            Well, not a lot. I don't have an high fidelity sound system, only the Logitech Z5500. But using the optical have some advantages; first, as you said, no possible interferences (including noise that came from fans or a cheapo power supply), and you only need 1 cable, plus using the optical connector free all the regular 3.5mm analog connectors, so you can put a pair of 5.1 headphone if you want (I hope receive a pair for Christmas ) or another basic sound system, like a 2.1 kit.

Originally posted by Chainsaws View Post
            It sounds like you're saying the optical will handle 5.1 as well, is that correct?
            The sounds via spdif/optical is by default stereo. You can use your decoder to simulate various effect such as Dolby Prologic II Movie/Music. Those are ok, but it's only a simulated 5.1 effect from a stereo signal.

You can get a real 5.1 signal if;

-you do a passtrough of any 5.1 encrypted source (aka DVDs) to a Dolby Digital or DTS receiver;
            -you encode in 5.1 on the fly with a software any stereo source, 5.1 directsound 3D source (non-EAX sounds), music, flash video, ect;
            -or if you encode via hardware on the fly any 5.1 sounds, including any mentioned before plus full EAX 5.0 HD from some X-fi cards (in the case of the X-fi, its quite recent. Many others non-Creative sounds card do it since a while, but they are limited too usual software 3D sounds, or EAX 1.0 and 2.0).

The first option is great while you listen to a DVD, because doing a direct passtrough to your decoder is the best way to keep the audio signal pure. Most of the recent sounds card with an spdif/optical output can accomplish that quite easely, even onboard ones such as Realtek. Nothing useful here for the gamer in you!

With the second option, it's a full 5.1 surround effect, but it's limited to software sounds, or the old EAX specifications (new ones could be simply too much for encoding on the fly). For software/directsounds sources, its great. But for some technology, such as OpenAL, it was confusing to a point i decided to disable OpenAL in UT3. The software used to encode is buggy and use lot of cpu. Terrible experience.

The third option is clearly the best choice. Since it's recent, it's quite expensive. It's called "Dolby Digital Live" or "DTS Connect" (DDL via optical, DTSC via spdif). Be aware that the DDL work on XP and Vista, while the DTSC is limited to Vista. DDL or DTSC allow you to encode on the fly anything you play on your computer, including full EAX 5.0 HD without any noticeable delay. For me, its the winner, since it can encode any direct sounds, OpenAL or EAX source with 5.1 channel and send it perfectly to my receiver. Notice that the effects are not revamped, or better. If you use some ambiance effects, or the X-fi crystallizer, they are encoded too.

X-Fi Titanium cards support already DDL & DTSC,
            X-Fi Prelude from Auzentech too.
            Many others older X-Fi cards support it now if you buy a licence;
            * Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
            * Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
            * Sound Blaster X-Fi
            * Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty
            * Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series
            * Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
            * Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro Series
            * Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
            Note that the X-Fi Audio is not supported since it's not a real X-Fi chipset.

Hope that clear (or confuse!) things.
            Last edited by NoData; 9 Dec 2008, 12:20 AM.
            My AS2K4 map: Sulfure-SE
            And a fixed one: BehemothTournament-TE2

Comment

Thanks, that's really helpful. I don't think my X-Fi will be up to scratch since it's only the budget version but this will be worth considering when I come to upgrade.
              One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
              -
              The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

Working...
              X