Aol Instant Messenger problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aol Instant Messenger problems

It appears that for some reason, AIM is running extremely low on memory. I have almost every program disabled in startup and thus my computer recourses are about 95% free. I have tried reinstalling AIM 5 times in different harddrive to no avail. Here are the symtoms (all of which scream low memory to me)

-I send a message and it takes about three seconds for it to register sent in my box, usually by that time the person has responded

-If I have more than two chat boxes open, the wait is even longer and AIM usually crashes within five minutes thereafter giving me the "Aim has caused an error in AIM.EXE and will terminate" message.

-I am sometimes not receiving messages

-Sometimes i try to send a message, and it does it's three second wait and then appears to have not sent anything. At this point it doesn't show me responses, but infact it HAS sent my message, just hasn't shown it in my box.

-Opening things such as an internet browser tends to crash it, registering the same error mentioned above.

I had 50 some contacts and just now was able to delete about 20 of them....again to no avail

I have also run Ad-Aware and have deleted all infected files.

Help would be greatly appriciated

Timmy
    "It is truly a shame that the guards must be kept from the very tools of thier proffesion, but such blatant misuse of gas arrows cannot be tolerated. Alas, that poor burrick..."

Trillian!
    Kiech

Comment

AOL sucks, use something else. Trillian, ICQ, MSN. I rarely use AOL anymore, only one person I chat with uses it. I do wonder if it that particular version of AOL IM you are usiing. I keep getting a message to upgrade, I won't.

Comment

Unfortunatly, I don't know anyone (in real life) who uses anything other thsn AIM, and AIM exclusivly. I couldn't tell ya why...I used to use MSN which I thought was ten times better than AIM, but none of my friends had it.

Also, It doesn't have anything to do with the version. I actually downloaded a new version whenever this problem started, and it didn't help.
        "It is truly a shame that the guards must be kept from the very tools of thier proffesion, but such blatant misuse of gas arrows cannot be tolerated. Alas, that poor burrick..."

Comment

As suggested above: use Trillian. It lets you connect to MSN / ICQ / AIM / YAHOO / IRC all in the one program (although, frankly, its IRC format sucks).

You can choose to use it for just AIM, of course. www.trillian.cc
          Nightmaster,
          .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
          - "until the cat is skinned"

Comment

Unbelievable! I downloaded Trillian and set it up for AIM, and its doing the same god damned thing!

Now i'm truly clueless as to what the problem is...

Comment

Did you completely remove AIM before installing Trillian?

The only explanation I can think of is the two programs somehow sharing a registry setting or memory setting that's causing the problem.
              Nightmaster,
              .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
              - "until the cat is skinned"

Comment

Trillian should be completely independent of the official AIM client.

Chances are it's a network issue -- what's your internet connection?
                Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

Hmmm, the way I see it you have only 3 options..

1) Kill yourself
                  2) Kill everyone else.
                  3) F-Disk your HD, re-format, re-install, install trillian. Defrag. Scandisk. Laugh.
                  ~TuF~

Comment

Yup, I completly uninstalled AIM before installing Trillian...Tried this three times.

Bill - I'm currently hooked up to a broadband router via a wireless network. Ive been using this setup for the past year with no troubles until now.

Comment

I myself use the msn network because everyone I know do that. I have no reason to complain about msn messanger, but it would be nice to use one client for msn and mirc. Does anyone have experience of connecting to msn with mIRC? I like mirc, because I've always used it and like the easy scripting it supports.

Originally posted by TheMachine
                      1) Kill yourself
                      2) Kill everyone else.
                      Those suggetsions sound a tad bit dramatic imho

Comment

Well, with the scripting support that mIRC offers, plus a quick google on the MSN protocall, and then weeks of work, you might just be able to come up with something.
                        But no, I've never heard of anything of the sort.
                        It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by [nt]Leo
                          Those suggetsions sound a tad bit dramatic imho
                          Dja think?

If you have never seen 'Black Adder' the joke will miss you.
                          ~TuF~

Comment

I'm truly clueless, but could it have anything to do with your access point/router drivers Thief13x?

BiG_D: That's actually not a crazy idea. But I can think of stuff I'd prefer doing.
                            I found what I was looking for this morning, or at least I think so. My wish was to find something customizable.

TheMachine: Oh? It's been years since I saw black adder so I definitely missed the joke.
                            I thought it was funny anyways.

Comment

Come to think of it this did start around the time i ran Ad-Aware and deleted some 2k files . It wouldn't have anything to do with router software because i never installed any on this computer, just my wireless network adapter. Do you think this might be a problem with my network adapter? all the status bars are in the green as usual and i havn't changed any settings.

Comment

Working...
                              X