Installing Windows XP Pro on top of WinME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Windows XP Pro on top of WinME

I want to install WinXP on top of my WinME here, and I'm wondering...is there anything unusual I need to know or make sure of before I do that?

Should I uninstall/unplug devices and programs, or will it just drop in?

Any information would be helpful Thanks guys.
    Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
    www.usyetzer.com

I suggest you get rid of Windows ME. Even Microsoft admitted it was a flop.

I'll move this to the Tech Help forum.

Comment

I already know that, thats why I want to install XP Pro... but is there anything I need to make sure I do before I switch?
      www.usyetzer.com

Comment

Don't install Win XP "on top" of ME. I suggest you back up everything you need (documents, music, videos, work, email, bookmarks, etc, etc, etc). Then format the disk and install Windows XP.

I'm sure someone will give you a walkthrough if you need it here.

Comment

Format first.
          Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

I remember having some problems upgrading to XP. It is better to just backup important things, format, and install xp fresh. There is a program on the installation cd that checks which programs you have installed that will not work with xp. It might be a good idea to run the checking program before you do the format and install.

Comment

Crap, format? Damn. If my CD burner was working properly that might not be a prob, however...

Errgh! This'll take some thought now.
              www.usyetzer.com

Comment

Yeah, I'd run a thorough scandisk check to see just how much WinME has managed to bone your computer.

And then take the advice of mode and Bill, back up everything onto CDs or DVDs and then format the drive. You can do that as part of the setup, if you change the BIOS/Setup to boot from CD-ROM with the WinXP Pro CD in the drive.

edit - have you not got two computers still? How about transferring files to the other?
                Nightmaster,
                .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
                - "until the cat is skinned"

Comment

No, I don't have a 2nd computer any more.

This sounds like a project for when I have a little more time on my hands.
                  www.usyetzer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Garlisk
                    This sounds like a project for when I have a little more time on my hands.
                    Its good policy to save AT LEAST 1 full day for system installs.

I end up using 2 to get all the stuff nice and clean. Does wonders to your hair.
                    Feel the power of the

Comment

1) Win Me is the worst OS MS ever made. You wouldn't believe the bugs that we have logged in Dublin's database. (M2 is right)

2) DO NOT! I repeat DO NOT install XP Pro on top of Me. It's likely you will lose files because in this scenario we were always having problems while testing. (M2 is right again)

3) If you have Partition Magic, create a second partition and save your files there. It's easy.

4) If you need any help at all just ask (although I doubt you will need any, it's a piece of cake to install XP).

5) Prefferably use a bootable WXP PRO cd to install XP not a w98/me diskette. Unless of course your diskette has the smartdrv executable, then use whatever is more familiar to you.

6) When everything is installed I suggest using PQDI or Norton Ghost to make a backup of your primary (active) HDD in your second partition. Saves you from a lot of trouble later. Trust me on this.

I hope I've helped you.

Constantine Gerakaris
                      Software Engineer
                      Microsoft Division

[/showoff] lol
                      I Need Training!

Comment

Well, I'm on a fresh, clean, and super confusing new install of WinXP Pro.

Trying to get all my hardwares working again. Printer and Camera are down, but this scanner is being a real bitch.

Thanks for the info guys.
                        www.usyetzer.com

Comment

Its the Umax Vistascan Astra 3400.

I'm not seeing WinXP drivers...maybe it won't work? Anyone help me out here?
                          www.usyetzer.com

Comment

Originally posted by The_Judge
                            Constantine Gerakaris
                            Software Engineer
                            Microsoft Division
                            *mourns for Judge's soul*
                            Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

Originally posted by Garlisk
                              Its the Umax Vistascan Astra 3400.

I'm not seeing WinXP drivers...maybe it won't work? Anyone help me out here?
                              I'm assuming you have some kind of driver disk and have attempted to install using that? If it's a USB scanner, make sure you run the setup program before plugging in the USB cable. It'll probably tell you when to plug it in.

You may get a notice about the drivers not being XP approved; just install them anyway.
                              Nightmaster,
                              .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
                              - "until the cat is skinned"

Comment

Working...
                              X