No announcement yet.

Windows 2003 Server vs. Windows XP Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool, wow 8 fans...this one has 1 side fan that lights up blue and red, its a all sliver expect the side with a fan which has the fan in the center of it and a blue plastic like window, the front has what looks like a speaker at the bottom, but when you look at it closer its just bumps on the plastic, the front has a plastic blue cover , two silver buttons a reset button and a power button, also got a headphone plug in thing and a mic plugin, with 2 usb ports

i'm not sure if u count the power supply fan as a fan though

So who here has a computer that has 6 usb ports in the front

(well i would, if you turn the computer around )
    SSSSSPPPPPAAAAAMMMMM 44444 EEEEEVVVVVEEEEEAAAAA!!!!!

Comment

I currently count 5 fans. CPU, GPU, PSU, and 2x case. But i have an external scsi box with another to Noisy as hell, next box will be water cooled and have a fanless, possibly wc'ed, psu. I don't care for weight, and with some knowledge on what to get you can compensate the cost by buying a slower cpu/graphics card and oc the hell out of it
      [THN] Gaming community - www.thehavennet.org.uk
      Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)

Comment

Yeah Pest, my next box, which will probably be the next TS Server will be watercooled, it's certainly a big project for me, I want it to be as silent as I can possibly make it, so fanless PSU, Watercooling, rubber bungs on all the drives & sound proofing...

I'll post a thread when I start it for real (saving cash & researching parts at the moment). I might even try a step by step pictures included storyline
        ~TuF~

Comment

I'm not sure i would want watercooling on a box that runs unattended for extended periods of time. With water cooling, being designed to cool hotrod gaming rigs, reliability is at the very least unproven. I'd go for good silent fans on such a box, not overclock it, possibly undervolt the cpu and try to cool things passively if possible.

A decent harddrive with fluid dynamic bearing is whisper silent, at least mine is. I'd say cooling it is more of a problem, especially if you want 7200rpm. Some blade servers and sff's are even using 2.5" drives nowadays. http://www.storagereview.com/ should be a good place to start out, they also have a good database that gives some real world reliability data (the one spec a manufacturer will _never_ release).

Sound proofing is one of those things i've never seen a very positive review of. But i don't follow all the usual sites for this, either.
          Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)

Comment

Yeah, my compaq proliant 3k, wow that thing is louder than all my computers put together including the hub!

Directions to hear what it sounds like:
            -go out and buy 5 vacummn/vacume/vaccumn/vaccum/whatever (however u speel it), too lazy to open google
            -plug them all in and stick them all in 1 room
            -turn them all on

yes, its that loud (maybe a little quieter... )

when u open it up you can see 4 fans, i dunno why they did this but they did it to all 4 fans they stuck 2 fans together in the same place

better airflow?
            SSSSSPPPPPAAAAAMMMMM 44444 EEEEEVVVVVEEEEEAAAAA!!!!!

Comment

2 case fans, a psu and cpu fan... and my machine still runs quietly enough.
              Nightmaster,
              .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
              - "until the cat is skinned"

Comment

In a silient room, I don't want to be able to hear -anything-. It might be a case for watercooling, but I'll have to research the reliablility of it, if could be air, but again, I need to research silient fans.

Then again, I have seen a few elaborate passive cooling devices hit the market, toms hardware had a number of them up for review a while back.
                ~TuF~

Comment

I have substantial experience with water cooling systems at work -- I've found them to be as reliable as fans. Actually, I think I've seen more fans die and slag a system than I've seen cases of water cooling fail. That's hardly statistical, though.

It's a bit expensive, but it's darn quiet.
                  Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

Money is of little object, I would like to build it myself however. So if you have any intresting links, specificly products availible in the UK I'd love to take a look.
                    ~TuF~

Comment

Are those PC water cooling systems, wildbill? Or something Uber like an overclocked IBM Power5.

Comment

Originally posted by The Creator
                        Well, I hear they sell the case as a barebones kit too. Plus it has Frag in the name

Edit: Ah yes, here we go.
                        http://www.falcon-nw.com/fragbox_case.asp
                        geez, talk about an overpriced novelty act. Fragbox is all about the word "Frag" because no way would I pay $125 for a 520w PS, $75 for a cheap little duffle bag to carry it in, and $299 for an empty shell of sheet metal and plastic. Funny how a full size tower, which has more material in it costs so much less. They got good selling gimick. but its too overpriced for me. (but i want one!)
                        http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~mbanes...summonslue.gif

Comment

All these high end PC builders are overpriced, if you buy that you're unimaginative and far too rich, imho.

I wanted to start a high end PC building business with a friend but he pulled out because other duties took too much of his time. We'd actually try and provide value for money though, and not aim at gamers.

Comment

Originally posted by Pestcontrol
                            Are those PC water cooling systems, wildbill? Or something Uber like an overclocked IBM Power5.
                            These were normal -- although very high end when built -- PCs that were used for development. After fan failures killed a few, any new machines had water cooling. Wish it had been something really shiny, though, compile times were still fairly long.
                            Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

Hmm, a fan failure really shouldn't be able to kill a cpu these days, iirc only the Athlons up untill the Thunderbird were vulnerable to it, and later models if the motherboards are cheap. P3's never got very hot, and P4's have protective circuitry...

At least it's good to hear high end WC can be reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by Pestcontrol
                                Hmm, a fan failure really shouldn't be able to kill a cpu these days, iirc only the Athlons up untill the Thunderbird were vulnerable to it, and later models if the motherboards are cheap. P3's never got very hot, and P4's have protective circuitry...
                                This was several years back, with older Athlons -- any new machines for quite a while after that were water cooled, I don't think fans returned there until Athlon 64s got released.

Comment

Working...
                                X