Thievery Running Poorly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thievery Running Poorly

I just reinstalled thievery the other day to get on the 1.5 action, only to find that I can barely play.

Here is my comp's stats, I know its not that good, but it should be able to run thievery just fine. Hell, America's Army and UT2k4 plays better than TUT does.

Win XP
    866Mhz PIII
    256RAM
    64 Meg Geforce 4 MX

I'm running TUT at 640x480, 32 bit color, Low res everything.

Whats up?
    Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
    www.usyetzer.com

GFX Drivers? OpenGL? Defrag hard disk? Close other applications? Update UT? Sound set to hardware mode when no EAX availible? Your scanning your drive for virui as you play? Moon not in alignment with venus?
    ~TuF~

Comment

I suppose I should check all that stuff out...

UT is updated.

Is OpenGL or D3D usually better?

I probably should skandisk and defrag, though.
      www.usyetzer.com

Comment

I don't know if it'll work for you, but try 16-bit color. I can play fine 16bit high/high (60fps avg now), but 32bit low/low barely runs (20- fps).

Comment

I have tried both 16 and 32 bit, and have about the same results.

Is it possible that running TUT on the same resolution as my normal screen would help? (800x600)
          www.usyetzer.com

Comment

I have noticed that Thievery 1.5 is a lot more demanding on the CPU and video card. I get graphical lag now in places that were very smooth before. I guess turning down all the settings will help but I enjoyed playing at higher resolutions with max detail.

Comment

Yeah, use openGL driver. I think S1K had a post some time back about one she experimented with. It works great for me. My processor and memory is double yours, but I'm still running win98se and i have a geforce2. I hope you're not using direct3d, that stuff sucks on my pc.

Comment

Now I'm using an OpenGL driver that Phae found and its working great. I get at least 10 more fps and it runs very smoothly. It is also nice and bright so I can see the game easier. Thanks again Phae.

Comment

Yeah, it all depends on your hardware, if you have an ATI card (9000+), 32-bit actually gives HIGHER fps than 16-bit, whereas Nvidia is the opposite (cause theyr'e cheapos)

Nvidia usually complies better with OpenGL, whereas ATI has some problems with OpenGL (even though i use OpenGL.dll that Phae posted here a while ago)

EVERY computer is different - and you can often find poeple with far inferior Hardware getting better performance.

---------------------------------

One thing that does work for everyone

before playing TUT

CTRL+SHIFT+ESCAPE
                  * go to APPLICATIONS tab and terminate everything
                  * go to PROCCESSES tab and terminate everything that looks non-critical
                  (DO NOT TERMINATE lsass.exe, csrss.exe or svchost.exe unless you want your computer to shut down )
                  * on the PROCCESSES tab, terminate explorer.exe, the whole desktop and taskbar should dissapear and reload, if it does not reload, go to FILE>RUN and type explorer.

You have now stopped all things that might be contending with TUT for processor cycles and cleared the system cache (terminating explorer)

---------------------------------

The only thing i find strange about this is, i can play TUT on a P2 300mhz, VooDoo5 64MB PCI, 256MB Ram on High Detail at 1024x768 with about 35~40 fps :| lol
                  Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Comment

Originally posted by necros
                    The only thing i find strange about this is, i can play TUT on a P2 300mhz, VooDoo5 64MB PCI, 256MB Ram on High Detail at 1024x768 with about 35~40 fps :| lol
                    If that is true it is all because of the voodoo 5. The glide video renderer, at least in Unreal Tournament, is the BEST renderer of all but you must have a voodoo to use it. You could easily get over 100 fps with a high powered voodoo card in an uber computer while using that same computer with an Nvidia or ATI card you would get maybe 50 fps. This is probably not true for all games since many of the newer games are optimized for Nvidia or ATI cards now.

Comment

Voodoo cards were the best

* cries *
                      It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

its strange that the fact that Radeons were better using OpenGL / Direct3D than VooDoos were (and matched a voodoo on glide most of the time) is what made 3DFX go bankrupt
                        Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Comment

Radeons can't run in glide, it's a voodoo specific render mode...

Comment

You misunderstood the stress of my sentence,
                            its strange that the fact that Radeons were better using OpenGL / Direct3D than VooDoos were (and matched a voodoo on glide most of the time)
                            As OpenGL and D3D are standard rendering modes, rather than the specific glide, game Devs went for those rather than writing specifically for Glide, limiting it to VooDoo cards, whereas all cards can do OGL and D3D

Comment

Ah, the way you worded that confused me Kinda implied the Radeon was using Glide, as the first comparison dealt with the voodoo using a render mode other than its prefered one...

Comment

Working...
                              X