Kerio firewall ports issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kerio firewall ports issue

Hi I've got Kerio shareware firewall version running (I WILL get a real version sometime when I get motivated!) but I don't know how to set the correct port(?)/s open to play computer games online. I always just have to turn the whole firewall off when I play which isn't such a good thing I suppose.

Also could people recommend the best firewall to buy (e.g. Norton/McAffee/Kerio/etc) please?
    Night of the Werewolves II
    HarryPotterwars
    A Thief's Guide to Thievery for UT (video not complete yet)

Im Using Kerio, and im pretty happy with it. I dont open or close any ports, i just give the application free run of the internet if i want it to go online
    ..it's safer here.

Comment

I don't understand Baz - if I leave Kerio firewall on and I run TUT or any other game I can't see any servers, that's why I have to turn off the firewall.
      HarryPotterwars

Comment

Try zonealarm, its free and you can leave it on when you play.
        easy to setup too.

Comment

I use the free version of Sygate in addtion to a hardware firewall.

My other experiences have been with Norton, and Zone alarm. Both seemed to protect well, but I had issues with them. Norton was a resource hog, and thus would bog the PC down. Zonealarm worked fine for web-surfing, but was poor for gaming. After I got tired of the lag it induced, I found it took a bit of special work do remove properly. Luckily, others had been thourhg this, and posted the fixes.
          Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
          Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

Avoid any Norton product is my general advice.

Also, I'd just shut off a firewall if I was gaming to lower overhead, but that's because I'm EXTREME
            Nightmaster,
            .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
            - "until the cat is skinned"

Comment

Convict, it's been a while since I used Kerio, and I have only an older version for reference, but you should have a tab somewhere that looks like the picture below (taken from the Kerio 4.0 Help file). Make sure that all permissions are given (i.e., you see a row of green check marks) for any game that has a multiplayer component.

By default, Kerio is supposed to ask you what permissions you want to give the first time a program connects to the internet. If you check the right boxes, it will not ask again. If you don't see Kerio's dialog box come up because the game is blocking it, you have to quit the game and set the program permissions manually in Kerio.

Another possibility is that you have inadvertently enabled some kind of blocking feature in Kerio that is being triggered by games. Check all of your preferences and options.

Good luck!
              Attached Files

Comment

I can't seem to chose individual programs for some reason it doesn't ask (maybe its the newer version) - it used to ask I think but that was older version. Here is my picture for comparison:
                Attached Files
                HarryPotterwars

Comment

It's the same crap with a fancier interface, Convo. I'm guessing you can use the "edit" to add UT.exe and associated other programs in there with ingoing and outgoing access.
                  Nightmaster,

Comment

No the edit button doesn't do that What firewall do you use Shug and others (I think I should buy one)?
                    HarryPotterwars

Comment

The only thing that I can think of that you did was to use the preset mode when you installed kerio.

If you selected learning mode during set up you should get a popup whenever a program you haven't given permission to tries to get access to the internet.

I may not be able to reply further for several weeks.
                      Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

Originally posted by Convict
                        No the edit button doesn't do that What firewall do you use Shug and others (I think I should buy one)?
                        I've found software firewalls generally annoying, so all I have is a hardware router.
                        Nightmaster,

Comment

I run both a hardware and a software.

The hardware significantly reduces what the PC sees, but not all.
                          Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
                          Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

Several days later....

A software firewall prevents crap from getting in as well as getting out, while a hardware firewall only prevents stuff from getting in.

A software firewall can stop the theft of information by programs that do such things. Much bundled software does this.
                            Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

Australian broadband is too rubbish to be putting more blocks and overhead in the way, guys
                              Nightmaster,

Comment

Working...
                              X