X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radamanthus
    replied
    Originally posted by Salvage
    If he's tired of working with software firewalls, what makes you think that he'd want to run a dedicated linux box for a router?
    Because even hardware firewllas need software to determine the difference between an allowed and denied access request, which is basically what linux will do for free, given the know-how to set it up.

Leave a comment:

• Salvage
    replied
    If he's tired of working with software firewalls, what makes you think that he'd want to run a dedicated linux box for a router?

I use a D-Link DI-604 as my hardware router, which I've never had any problems with, but I can't recommend it because I've seen a large number of problems reported.

Leave a comment:

• Radamanthus
    replied
    Do you have any old computers laying around? If you'v egot some time on your hands, i'd suggest installing Linux on an old compy and sticking a bunch of NICs in it. It's what I'm using for my firewall right now, though I do have 3 others supplied by Verizon FiOS.

Leave a comment:

• Shug
    replied
    What's your ISP, and did they supply you with a usb modem or what? You'd probably get a cheaper deal buying any 4-port router/modem that your provider supplies, and most work in pretty much the same way.

Leave a comment:

• Convict
    replied
    I'm sick of all the issues with software firewalls (I tried reinstalling Kerio latest edition) so I just want to use the hardware firewall. What would you recommend plz?

Leave a comment:

• Shug
    replied
    If we're talking overseas connections, I believe Convo himself found some significant performance problems connecting to Brodys and Crackaz. If I were to play on a local CS:S server there'd probably be no real difference. The short story is I can't be arsed installing, configuring and adding more shit to the startup group on my computer.

Leave a comment:

• Thebos
    replied
    After a bit of search, found software firewalls and system monitors that work under dial-up without any noticable change in ping/lag. Surely your broadband connection is better then 56k?

Leave a comment:

• Shug
    replied
    Australian broadband is too rubbish to be putting more blocks and overhead in the way, guys

Leave a comment:

• Salvage
    replied
    Several days later....

A software firewall prevents crap from getting in as well as getting out, while a hardware firewall only prevents stuff from getting in.

A software firewall can stop the theft of information by programs that do such things. Much bundled software does this.

Leave a comment:

• Thebos
    replied
    I run both a hardware and a software.

The hardware significantly reduces what the PC sees, but not all.

Leave a comment:

• Shug
    replied
    Originally posted by Convict
    No the edit button doesn't do that What firewall do you use Shug and others (I think I should buy one)?
    I've found software firewalls generally annoying, so all I have is a hardware router.

Leave a comment:

• Salvage
    replied
    The only thing that I can think of that you did was to use the preset mode when you installed kerio.

If you selected learning mode during set up you should get a popup whenever a program you haven't given permission to tries to get access to the internet.

I may not be able to reply further for several weeks.

Leave a comment:

• Convict
    replied
    No the edit button doesn't do that What firewall do you use Shug and others (I think I should buy one)?

Leave a comment:

• Shug
    replied
    It's the same crap with a fancier interface, Convo. I'm guessing you can use the "edit" to add UT.exe and associated other programs in there with ingoing and outgoing access.

Leave a comment:

• Convict
    replied
    I can't seem to chose individual programs for some reason it doesn't ask (maybe its the newer version) - it used to ask I think but that was older version. Here is my picture for comparison:
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X