Computer build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer build

As some of you may know,(and some don't care, LOL) I have been in the process of getting together parts to finally build my first PC from the ground up.
    Well Yesterday I spent all day building it and it IS up and running now and is incredibly fast. (Whew)
    Now I have to install all the programs and tweak things just to my liking but it was exciting and I can't wait to start playing with it.
    I did install ut2004 and played for about ten minutes, with
    1280 by something resoution and ALL the detail settings MAXED out and it didn't even break a sweat. All I have to say is GA is STOKED!

asus A8N-e nvidia nforce4 ultra motherboard
    WD 74 gb Raptor HD
    nvidia geforce 6600gt vid card
    AMD athlon64 3700 1mb l2 cache, san diego

Wow, nice system! You talked to the guys at sharkyextreme?

Comment

No, but I did plenty of research. thanks.

Comment

Congrats! A self-assembled compy is a beautiful thing indeed.
        My cats are black! How about yours?

Comment

Oh yes, been building my own for the past 10 years now, it's a very satisfying experiance. You should have taken pictures GA and given a step by step guide to what you did, research etc... could have been informative.
          ~TuF~

Comment

Originally posted by TheMachine
            Oh yes, been building my own for the past 10 years now, it's a very satisfying experiance. You should have taken pictures GA and given a step by step guide to what you did, research etc... could have been informative.
            At my age I was lucky to remember enough to actually build the thing and you expect pictures and a step by step guide?
            Frankly that wasn't going to happen. As it was it took me from 8 am till late at night to finally get it done right. And the first time I turned it on, nothing happened! I tell you my heart nearly stopped , but I perservered and finally got it going.

Comment

At your age......? Bah- give your self some credit. My stepfather has about 15-20yrs on you and just did his 5th or 6th build last year.

Nice computer by the way, but only a single raptor? no RAID?
              Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
              Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

Originally posted by Thebos
                At your age......? Bah- give your self some credit. My stepfather has about 15-20yrs on you and just did his 5th or 6th build last year.

Nice computer by the way, but only a single raptor? no RAID?
                yeah, single Raptor. I actually rarely need that much hd space, never filled up the last hd which was about the same size only much slower. Plus raptors are a bit on the pricey side, but I always have plenty of room to add another one later.
                Got to let my wife get over the sticker shock of how much I spent on this one right?

Comment

Raid wouldn't give you any more space

Telling the wife how much you spent on things is allways a harrowing process.
                  ~TuF~

Comment

Ah man, building a your own creation is a beautiful thing. I was going to post pics and brag about my new "toy" but the specs aren't impressive until you see hte overclock. Got the rambooster, the Raid array, the Hardcano, the world-record holding video card, even resoldered the processor to make it run faster. Good god, it's beautiful. Too bad I have to wait for my sound cardto arrive before ican hop on teamspeak: the heat output from the video card fried the onboard mic input.
                    "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Same here, been doing it since i was 16, one even made it to the cover of a PC-Mag when i worked for a small PC shop. It had well balanced specs.

Regardless of all the spec nitty gritty here, which is really something no forum will ever unanimously agree upon and will by definition lead to some discussion...

Nothing beats the feeling of making a pc that is totally your own machine. It becomes more than that, it's an extention of your personality, a personal attribute.

Mine's currently a barrel with the sides off..
                      [THN] Gaming community - www.thehavennet.org.uk
                      Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)

Comment

Working...
                      X