Windows problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows problem?

Ok. As some of you know I just built a new computer.
    Everything is up and running but for some reason there is a
    {safely remove hardware icon} in the tooltray. Which when I click on it it shows my harddrive. obviously the harddrive is working and I don't want to remove it. So, how do I get that Icon to go away?

haha, mine has the same thing, i'm not sure how to get rid of it though...but sometimes when i start up the computer it doesn't show, would help if anyone could help out here too
    SSSSSPPPPPAAAAAMMMMM 44444 EEEEEVVVVVEEEEEAAAAA!!!!!

Comment

Here are some suggestions. I have not tried these myself since I don't have the icon and can't remember if I ever did.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_tips598.html

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=50249

Comment

Originally posted by TeeJay
        Here are some suggestions. I have not tried these myself since I don't have the icon and can't remember if I ever did.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_tips598.html

Well, I tried them but nothing worked, they're mostly for a usb
        device plugged into your computer in the front that is always in use. not applicable in my case, therefore why it didn't work.
        Any other suggestions? anyone?

Comment

I recall from your previous thread you aren't using RAID. So I presume this is a standard SATA hard drive? What model?

Windows XP Pro SP2 or a different version of windows?
          Nightmaster,
          .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
          - "until the cat is skinned"

Comment

Out of intrest, is this an external USB drive?

EDIT IGnore, must read properly.

Check out microsofts help site, or google on it.
            ~TuF~

Comment

its probably because the new nforce4 boards support hotswappable sata. what happens if you safely remove the drive =D
              ..it's safer here.

Comment

Yeah, the icon is there because sata devices can be plug'n'play.

What i do is enable the "hide inactive icons" feature of the taskbar (it's enabled by default anyway), if you then right click on the "show hidden icons" button and select "customize notifications" you get a little panel where you can control which icons should be shown and which should be hidden, and you can force specific icons to "never show".
                [THN] Gaming community - www.thehavennet.org.uk
                Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)

Comment

Originally posted by Shug
                  I recall from your previous thread you aren't using RAID. So I presume this is a standard SATA hard drive? What model?

Windows XP Pro SP2 or a different version of windows?
                  using windows XP home sp2 , not using raid only have 1 sata harddrive
                  western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 rpm

Originally posted by Pestcontrol
                  Yeah, the icon is there because sata devices can be plug'n'play.

What i do is enable the "hide inactive icons" feature of the taskbar (it's enabled by default anyway), if you then right click on the "show hidden icons" button and select "customize notifications" you get a little panel where you can control which icons should be shown and which should be hidden, and you can force specific icons to "never show".
                  all that seems to do is hide it in the taskbar, but if you click the arrow in the taskbar its still there.

Comment

This link provide above by TeeJay might provide an answer though not directly:

They refer to external USB drives, which yours is not of course, but it seems the SATA drive, being hot swappable, is being treated by windows in a similar way. Possible the SATA drive also has a "toggle" like the USB drive to make "permanent" under Windows.

For USB, Delprat (from the link above) suggested:
                    "right click on "my computer" on desktop
                    select "manage"
                    select "device manager" in the left tree
                    expand the "USB controller" category on the right tree
                    double-click the "root USB hub" where your "always on" device is connected
                    in the last tab ("power management"), uncheck the "allow to shutdown" checkbox
                    click OK and close the "device manager"
                    reboot"

Have you checked to see if a similar switch is available thorugh your Device Manager for the hard drive or under the controller for that drive? Would expect it under SATA controllers, or disk drives. My PC's ar relatively ancient, so I have no means to check this on my own but offer it as a possibility.
                    Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
                    Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

Originally posted by Thebos
                      This link provide above by TeeJay might provide an answer though not directly:

They refer to external USB drives, which yours is not of course, but it seems the SATA drive, being hot swappable, is being treated by windows in a similar way. Possible the SATA drive also has a "toggle" like the USB drive to make "permanent" under Windows.

For USB, Delprat (from the link above) suggested:
                      "right click on "my computer" on desktop
                      select "manage"
                      select "device manager" in the left tree
                      expand the "USB controller" category on the right tree
                      double-click the "root USB hub" where your "always on" device is connected
                      in the last tab ("power management"), uncheck the "allow to shutdown" checkbox
                      click OK and close the "device manager"
                      reboot"

Have you checked to see if a similar switch is available thorugh your Device Manager for the hard drive or under the controller for that drive? Would expect it under SATA controllers, or disk drives. My PC's ar relatively ancient, so I have no means to check this on my own but offer it as a possibility.
                      No place under storage devices where my wd hard drive is there any power management or anything that I can see that would change this.
                      There is a tab for policies under which is an option to optimize for quick removal and the other option there is to optimize for performance neither of which has had ANY effect on the icon.

Comment

SATA drives use an interface similar to the USB, and also usulaly situated on the same PCIBUS circuit as the USB. After extensive cracking, hcking, and generally ripping Windows to schreds, I also can't seem to get rid of the icon at the botom. I'ts not too horribly annoying though, as it usually decides to stay hidden.
                        "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

You can get rid of the icon by not installing the nvidia IDE driver. I'm not sure about the new nforce drivers, but with the old ones had a choice for this when you are installing them. and since you are only using ide for your dvd drive it shouldnt be a problem.
                          ..it's safer here.

Comment

SATA and USB are very different interface wise. It's just the non-legacy driver model for SATA (AHCI) that has some resemblances with USB, mostly the name and some features, like plug'n'play. The main idea of xHCI is a standard so that microsoft can write one driver that works on the hardware of all manufacturers which is tons of benefits for every party involved, and even linux

Windows' default IDE drivers were written only to work, not for performance, DMA will likely be unavailabe, your mouse may stutter when you access the drive, dvd's will lag, etc. I'd rather just live with one icon that can be hidden anyway.

Another idea: Does your bios have an option for SATA to work in either IDE-compatibilty mode, or AHCI? If so, try IDE, that should make it get rid of it's plug'n'play capabilities. But it may fuck up your windows and require a reinstall, it does when switching to AHCI for sure, i never tried the other way around.
                            [THN] Gaming community - www.thehavennet.org.uk
                            Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)

Comment

Don't be so quick to knock the defaut drivers, they have a lower cpu utilisation and a faster transfer rate ( even if it is only a few hundred bytes a second ). You would never notice the difference in your day to day usage. From what i understand the main reason behind the Nforce drivers is stability rather than preformance
                              ..it's safer here.

Comment

Working...
                              X